Start by marking “La Parure” as Want to Read:
La Parure

La Parure

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  13,932 Ratings  ·  356 Reviews
Voici trois nouvelles exemplaires par le souci du détail vrai, la rigueur de la construction, la maîtrise du récit, l'art de la chute. « La Parure » dépeint avec alacrité le menu peuple des bureaux. « Sur l'eau » évoque la vie nocturne d'une rivière, ses bruissements mystérieux, sa faune secrète, ses maléfices, ses drames. « La Légende du Mont Saint-Michel » nous transport ...more
Published January 2nd 1995 by Livre de Poche (first published January 1st 1884)

To ask other readers questions about La Parure, please sign up.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Diamonds may not be a girl's best friend.

description

My initial rating of this 1884 short story by the French author Guy du Maupassant was 3 1/2 stars, but after rereading it this morning, I'm bumping it up to 4 stars, maybe even 4 1/2.

I first read "The Necklace" in a college English short story course, more years ago than I want to say. The professor was rather odd and had (I thought) an undue hang-up with making us distill the meaning and theme of each story into a sentence that we would offer up to the r
Mansuriah Hassan
Jul 21, 2016 Mansuriah Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This classic book never gets out of date. I read this short story when I was in high school and I really enjoyed it. Now looking back at it in my book shelf, it brings back the memory of mixed feelings I had when I read it last time. I opt to re-read this classic once again. Since this is a short story, I don’t want to go into detail.

The Necklace is a poignant tale about Mathilde Loisel who is a beautiful young woman married to an unimportant clerk. She dreams of the finer things of life and is
Ritu
Oct 16, 2016 Ritu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant would always be in my top short stories recommendation list.

Reminding of O. Henry and yet having a perfectly different style, the author never ceases to create humor and astonishment.

Read this one if you still haven't.
Lizzy
Guy de Maupassant is another example of a splendid short-stories writer. If my memory can still be relied on, I learned to love short-stories reading Maupassant! The Necklace and Other Short Stories is a great example. Read it and enjoy!
Florencia
Nov 26, 2015 Florencia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
This is the first time I read this writer and I'm a bit confused now. I really liked a couple of short stories but the rest just seemed okay for me. For example, "Boule de Suif", his most famous short story, is simply brilliant (nothing new about that). I loved it and hated it at the same time. I loved the writing, the irony, but I hated the story itself. It made me feel bad and... violent. And that is what makes it good: the ability of creating those mixed emotions in us. It is set in the Franc ...more
Tweety
What a pair of fools! This is like Aesop's Fables, only for adults.

Never have I wanted to bang two heads together so much. Mathilde and her husband are idiots, plain and simple. Why, oh why, didn't they go to Mathilde's friend in the first place and explain what happened?

Instead they keep it to themselves and waste ten years of their life.

(view spoiler)
Shahad takleef
Oct 21, 2016 Shahad takleef rated it really liked it
c'était une belle, tres féminin et tres touchante petite histoire courte. je l'ai lu en deux séances séparées par une longue période. Je vais essayer d'écrire un plus long , plus détaillé commentaire en français dans les prochains jours.
Andrew
Jun 19, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For good reason is this entitled 'The Necklace and Other Stories' because The Necklace is one of the few stories really worth reading. Most people read The Necklace at some point in their education. Maupassant created a delightful fable with important lessons that can be gleaned from it.

Other stories that were interesting, though I don't think they have as much inherent value as The Necklace were Ball-of-Fat, Miss Harriet, and The Horla. Ball-of-Fat follows a group who are fleeing their war-torn
Defying D
“The Necklace” weaves a tale about Madame Mathilde Loisel who dreams of the finer things of life and is not content with her secure, middle class lifestyle. The price she pays for a single evening of elegance turns into years of drudgery and despair. This is a story that has stood the test of time and is as relevant today as when Maupassant wrote it in the late nineteenth century.
He masterfully uses irony to produce a surprise ending in this short story. In doing so, he attempts to teach his rea
MissInfo
Feb 27, 2012 MissInfo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-long-time-ago
i remember when my parents and relatives would give me big heavy leather-bound books as presents. Now we get emails with redemption codes on them for ones and zeros. I'm not trying to be profound, or whiny, I love both. But I'm just in awe of some of the books I read years ago. And how my standards have degraded, lol.
Anyways....my aunt Kunmimi gave me a copy of this in junior high. Maybe it was for a birthday or to congratulate on a piano recital. Either way, I need to find that book. It was bea
Heather
Aug 19, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shortstories
I can't help it, but I loved this short story because the protagonist got what was coming to her. That's what happens when you are ungrateful, prideful, and went more than you can afford. Just desserts as the say...

I never used to enjoy short stories, because well, they are short. Once you get into them they're over, but I'm finding great pleasure in reading them. I think it takes great skill to write short stories, because you have to work harder to catch the attention of the reader, because yo
Anne
I remember reading this at school in Grade 10, and absolutely loving it. Of all the short stories they ever made me read in all my years of high school, this was the best!
Diane S ☔
In the necklace a young woman unknowingly changes her life beyond measure, for a fleeting chance of pretending to be something and someone she is not.
Olivia Gerdy
Sep 11, 2016 Olivia Gerdy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai beaucoup aimé ces petites nouvelles de Maupassant qui nous décrit avec simplicité les pires défauts des hommes. Cela reste malheureusement d'actualité.
Jithin James
Rating 5*
In this short story, Maupassant paints a beautiful portrait of myriad human emotions through the unfolding of a singular event - the loss of a "diamond" necklace - in the life of Mathilde, a common housewife, which changes the future course of her life.

Through this tale Maupassant fabulously portrays :
- The desire to achieve something beyond one's means.
- The path one adopts to attain the objective.
- The sense of happiness and completeness felt on achieving it.
- The sense of despair
Rao Javed
Nov 13, 2013 Rao Javed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
If you think that it is the fate is brutal to you then you are wrong because is the world who is always to delighted to talk about you your flaws.

It was one good story that elaborates the importance of being careful of your action but then be even more careful of your explanation because if you are honest than no one will trust you but if you make story only then you are admired.

It is bit of an unwise aspect that the story lacks contentedness but it all that comes through inspiration not aspirat
David
May 11, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read Maupassant, but these stories interested me. They don't have quite as much of the lead up as some of Balzac's work, less rigid, but perhaps that is because Maupassant was later. Still, Maupassant seems to imbue the stories with more compassion. There is less of a sensation of the characters as spectacle. Maybe that's just me, but that's the way it seemed. He does seem a bit obsessed with prostitutes.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The necklace and other short stories, Guy de Maupassant
عنوان: گردنبند و داستانهای دیگر؛ نویسنده: گی دو موپاسان؛
کتاب «بهترین قصه ها و داستانهای کوتاه» اثر: گی دو موپاسان، که اصغر فرمانفرمائی قاجار آنرا در سال 1346 در کتابخانه ابن سینا در 362 ص به نشر داده نیز شامل داستان گردنبند هست ولی برای این نسخه ترجمه نیافتم
نه داستان کوتاه
Ball of Fat, The Necklace, A Piece of String, Mme. Tellier's Establishment, Mademoiselle Fifi, Miss Harriet, A Way to Wealth, My Uncle Julesو and "The Horla."
Autumn Jean
This has to be one of my favorite short stories of all time. I remember reading it while my English Teacher droned on and on about "Like Water For Chocolate" (that book sucked by the way). I was so bored in her class that I opened my English book and randomly read stories I found in it. "The Necklace" grasped my attention and my heart. It's been 11 years since I read that story but I still quote it often. I now own the book. This is a story every woman should read.
Youness
Nov 28, 2014 Youness rated it really liked it
Un recueil de 5 nouvelles, les cinq perles sont variés et réalistes, je trouve entre ces lignes, la situation sociale de france à cette époque. ces nouvelles sont :

1 - La parure : L'histoire d'une femme d'un milieu social modeste, qui a toujours ressentis que sa place est parmi les aristocrates. Un jour, vint l'occasion d'assister à un bal avec la classe aristocrate de la ville, elle était très élégante, ravissante et charmante mais sous des bijoux d'une riche amie, la fête va être formidable m
Bruce
Oct 03, 2011 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chip Howard
Mar 08, 2016 Chip Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came to Maupassant in my college years, where stories like “Le Horla” were used to demonstrate a concise and unique (in this case, a diary-esque) way of telling a story. I was pretty enthralled by this tale and found myself reading more of his supernatural short stories (which—I’m now sure—were the seeds that grew into my fondness of late 19th and early 20th century ghost stories).

However, in reading this collection, newly translated by Sandra Smith, I was surprised to find I wasn’t as much st
Yvette
Jul 14, 2016 Yvette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who hasn't lost something valuable at one time or another? If I think hard enough, I'm sure I can come up with a list of all the things I either misplaced or lost forever. You probably can too. And when that object is borrowed from a friend or coworker, the agony of having to tell that person and then replace it can be a painful experience. I imagine, anyway. Especially if you can't afford to replace it to begin with.

Guy de Maupassant's The Necklace is a cautionary tale of a pretty young wife wh
Maria Mefe
Aug 25, 2015 Maria Mefe rated it liked it
Recommended to Maria Mefe by: french teacher
Shelves: edition-french
Des trois nouvelles, j'ai seulement lu la première, La Parure, en français pendant les leçons de literature française. J'ai aussi vu l'episode réalisé par Claude Chabrol de 30 minutes.
Avec cette nouvelle, Maupassant dépeint une société du paraître, où le jugement des autres est très important.

Mathilde Loisel, la protagoniste, est une femme très jolie, qui rêve du luxe et d'élégance; mais elle n'est pas heureuse: son mari est seulement un petit commis du ministère de l'Instruction publique. Un jo
Lauren
Sep 23, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I keep a first edition of this book (a collection of GDM's shorts, not sure if its the same) next to my bed.

My interestingness aside, I love this man. Back when I was a pretentious teenager, I carried around my fair share of old dusty books. I loved the smell of them...kind of sour...the smell of underrated importance. I would try my damnedest to read them, but I just kept them around for the smell. Then I started cutting holes in the middle and stashing my booze in them when the magic faded.

T
Justine
3 Stars out of 5 Stars

This short story tells the tale of a woman who has, what they say today, "champagne taste and a beer wallet". She's pretty unlikable, spending her time moping about her lack of wealth and her desire to be chased by desirable, rich men. Meanwhile, her husband does absolutely anything for her, even if that means ruining his quality of life. And, in this story, the woman is pretty ungrateful.

What is successfully written about this story is that, by the end, you can actually f
Victoria
*review of The Necklace*

Using relatively unadorned prose, Maupassant manages to invoke frustration, elation, dismay, and resignation during the story, and, depending on how well you managed to connect to the protagonist, an indescribable ache following the final words. This is a simple, straightforward short story that teaches many important lessons- if you know someone whose materialistic desires impair their ability to appreciate what they have, you should recommend this to them. I wouldn't sa
Anisha Pai
Aug 05, 2013 Anisha Pai rated it really liked it
I love the moral and the way 'The Necklace' is written- from Mathilda's point of view constantly emphasising her own perceived personal social injustice. However, I despise her and her constant need for 'more'. Even after she realises the worth of her old life, she is still looking for someone to blame; still not accepted the fact that she brought it on herself; yet to learn the lesson that she should be content with what she has. But she gets hers in the end.
Who I feel really sorry for, howeve
Denise
Apr 09, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On "A Piece of String" : I was looking through the eyes of Maitre Hauchecorne and at him at the same time. I felt his self-consciousness as he stooped to pick up the string, could even sense the sandy dirt on the ground. Hauchecorne is a man too concerned with appearances. He deliberately misled his neighbor to make his actions appear less shameful, but ended up making a far worse impression than the truth would have. He doesn't care about the people in his community knowing the truth about him. ...more
Soukalita
in a funny & unexpected way, this great author teaches me to never give too many attention to appearances and not fight the reality, but accept & try to change it...because if we don't accept what we are first before we think about changing it, it will reverse on us & get worse, this pretty women here didn't like her life, she wanted to be rich, so rich, just because she was too pretty to be poor and work all day long...so instead of thinking about a way to get richer,she tough about ...more
  • The Lady or the Tiger? And, the Discourager of Hesitancy
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories
  • Les Contemplations
  • A Rose for Emily and Other Stories
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • Les Caprices de Marianne
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i ...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...

“She was simple, not being able to adorn herself, but she was unhappy, as one out of her class; for women belong to no caste, no race, their grace, their beauty and their charm serving them in place of birth and family. Their inborn finesse, their instinctive elegance, their suppleness of wit, are their only aristocracy, making some daughters of the people the equal of great ladies.” 9 likes
“She stayed there, in her ball dress, without strength to go to bed, overwhelmed, on a chair, without a fire, without a thought.” 6 likes