Start by marking “Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid” as Want to Read:
Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid

Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid

A series of humourous short stories starting in misery and dropping towards despair. One character has a quest to read every book ever written in English, devouring them two at a time. The aphoristic tales are sandwiched between two novellas and deliver an apocalyptic vision with a grim smile.
Published January 1st 2000 by Secker & Warburg

To ask other readers questions about Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid

Ray
Feb 06, 2016 Ray rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a book of (mainly) short stories. Tibor Fischer is an excellent write whose work is filled with wit and learning. However at times this book was too clever clever for me, and the title grates too.

3.5 marked down to a 3.

My favourite story was the first - "we ate the chef". Fischer writes losers brilliantly, and the protagonist is a loser par exellence.

If you are tempted to try Fischer - and do try Fischer -I would recommend the The Thought Gang over this book
Nastya Khyzhniak
Of course I was intrigued by the title, though it's a bit childish ("hop if you're not stupid"). Moreover, I'm not quite sure that the content of the book is up to the task of determining :)
I went from liking to disliking it several times and still haven't settled on one opinion. Because there are clever and interesting ideas, but most of them aren't. I'm more than sure that this is not the book I would recommend to anyone, but I would definitely share several short stories, like, for example, B
Cenhner Scott
Oct 25, 2014 Cenhner Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Por el amor de dios, que alguien le consiga un editor a Fischer.
Y no me refiero a editor para que le edite el libro (evidentemente tiene uno muy bueno, porque Tusquets le ha traducido todo al español y se lo venden en Argentina). Me refiero a que necesita un editor que le diga "TERMINÁ DE ESCRIBIR ACÁ".

Fischer es un tipo al que se le ocurren buenas ideas, buenos argumentos.
Pero por algún motivo que no logro dilucidar, decide que esa historia que hubiera sido genial en cuatro páginas, se conviert
Margaret
Nov 18, 2007 Margaret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves nihilistic comedy of the British by way of Hungary sort
Simply cannot stop my love for this author. As a novelist, he's genius - The Thought Gang, telling the story of a disgraced and alcoholic professor who turns to bank robbery (with his one-armed sidekick) after he spent his book advance is one of my top three books ever.

The first story in Don't Read This details a vacation in Nice (a recurring locale in his books) gone horribly awry for a cabal of Londoners. Needless to say, in true Tibor Fischer style, a piece of bacon saves the day.
a20
Jul 02, 2014 a20 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Generally I like distopian or nihilistic works, but this book was bleak, grey and monotonous without any significant plot movement. While author's language is beautiful to read, the work itself is bleak and boring. Like Soviet Russia.
Christina Wilder
Why didn't I think of this title? :/
Oscar Illescas
Nov 20, 2016 Oscar Illescas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tal y como indica la descripción, el libro cuenta las variadas historias de personajes que tienen en común ser fracasados, también interesantes, divertidos y tal vez únicos, pero fracasados conscientes de serlo al fin y al cabo.
Lectura entretenida y divertida sin pretensiones ni grandes emociones.
Mircalla64 (free Liu Xiaobo)
adoro Londra

vabbè lo ammetto
Londra la idealizzo da un po'
e so bene che è molto peggiorata da quando ci sono stata l'ultima volta
ma non sarà mai come la descrive Tibor Fischer in questi racconti

o meglio, forse lo è per chi ci vive e deve combattere tutti i giorni in metropolitana

comunque i racconti sono discontinui
alcuni molto belli, altri un tantino meno intriganti

ma l'ho letto tutto in due sere e questo qualcosa deve pur significare...
Lolliepop
read the last short story, dont really like it, the due date of the book is coming fast, decided not to dwell on it, so stopped reading halfway..

not included in my 2011 reading challenge, though..
Lindsey
Aug 04, 2011 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was snowing. it was berlin. they talked funny. and then amid an ocean of noise i found what i was searching for all my life. it was tibor fischer. and i will keep him in my box of happiness forever.
♚ Amandine ♚
Après avoir mis deux semaines à lire petit bout par petit bout, j'ai décidé de m'arrêter à la moitié du livre.
Les histoires m'ont ennuyé et l'écriture m'a dérangé du début à la fin. Dommage, je partais pourtant avec un bon a priori sur le livre !
Rolls
Apr 18, 2009 Rolls rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
actually as this is a book of short stories - I started with the one that sounded the most interesting first. It's called "I Like Being Killed" and so far it's pretty darn good.
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Tim Darnell
Tim Darnell rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2007
Kosiya
Kosiya rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2011
Lucretius
Lucretius rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2008
Jason Morris
Jason Morris rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2010
Sam Butler
Sam Butler rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Pilar
Pilar rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Yrjo Ojasaar
Yrjo Ojasaar rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Marcos Cherlo
Marcos Cherlo rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2008
Kristina
Kristina rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2010
Ian J
Ian J rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2011
Ademption
Ademption rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2008
Ja
Ja rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Georg
Georg rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2009
Carlton
Carlton rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2012
Ekaterina Nikitina
Первая книжка за последнее время, которая пришлась настолько по сердцу.
  • Down All the Days
  • Tales of the Night
  • Under the Garden
  • The Charlotte Perkins Gilman Reader
  • Miss Peabody's Inheritance
  • A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness: Four Chapbooks of Short Short Fiction by Four Women
  • The Torturer's Apprentice: Stories
  • The House at World's End (World's End, #1)
  • ඉර හඳ තරු මැද
  • The Collector of Hearts: New Tales of the Grotesque
  • Dolan's Cadillac, and Other Stories
Tibor Fischer is a British novelist and short story writer. In 1993 he was selected by the influential literary magazine Granta as one of the 20 best young British writers.

Fischer's parents were Hungarian basketball players, who fled Hungary in 1956. The bloody 1956 revolution, and his father's background, informed Fischer's debut novel Under the Frog, a Rabelaisian yarn about a Hungarian basketba
More about Tibor Fischer...

“You read a lot," said the behatted kvetch indicating the two novels he had open. He nodded, because there was no denying it and because he didn't want to put up the ante for a conversation.

Books aren't life."

No, they're better," he replied and flipped through the thirty-two library cards in his wallet to remove his one credit card to pay.

This was twenty-first century vagrancy.”
9 likes
“Хронические алкоголики типа Френка пьют потому, что, по общему мнению, выпивка помогает забыться; и ведь многие в это верят, точно так же, как две-три тысячи лет назад люди верили, что верный способ избавиться от головной боли – это просверлить дырку в голове, или что если кого-нибудь задушить посреди засеянного поля, то урожай будет богатым.” 0 likes