Start by marking “Night Fisher” as Want to Read:
Night Fisher

Night Fisher

3.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  434 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
R. Kikuo Johnson has created an intimate and compelling graphic novel-length drama of young men on the cusp of adulthood. First-rate prep school, S.U.V., and a dream house in the heights: This was the island paradise handed to Loren Foster when he moved to Hawaii with his father six years ago. Now, with the end of high school just around the corner, his best friend, Shane, ...more
Published November 17th 2005 by Fantagraphics (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Night Fisher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Fisher

Ferragosto Bk 1 by Jonathan David LangeMetaMaus by Art SpiegelmanMaus II  by Art SpiegelmanMaus I by Art SpiegelmanPersepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi
Literary Comic Books
44th out of 53 books — 2 voters
Moloka'i by Alan BrennertUnfamiliar Fishes by Sarah VowellHonolulu by Alan BrennertLiquid Comfort - A Surf Story by Cheryl Lee PetroThe Islands at the End of the World by Austin Aslan
All Things Hawaiian
151st out of 213 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Anina
May 08, 2008 Anina rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, teen
A graphic novel about teens doing crystal meth in Hawaii. I enjoyed the drawings of Hawaii but the storyline was blah.
Casey
Jan 21, 2008 Casey rated it really liked it
Moody, pretty, brief.
Aolund
Apr 21, 2016 Aolund rated it it was ok
Interesting attempts at social consciousness (the colonization of Hawaii, privilege), completely half-baked and unfortunately underdeveloped by a focus on teens smoking crystal meth and getting into high-jinks. Gorgeous artwork.
Olivia Arrow
Jun 08, 2014 Olivia Arrow rated it it was ok
Classic case of a graphic novel that is gorgeous (Habibi comes to mind), with stunning artwork, but with such a lame story. Just yuck. I couldn't identify with anyone in this, not the rich kids, the financially ruined dad, stupid druggies and no female characters worth anything but a few panels of ass. Another coming of age story for the average white dude (I Never Liked You was similar), how dull and uninspiring.
Pua Hawaiʻi Book Blog
This comic novella may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy these realistic and unapologetic looks at adolescence I recommend giving Night Fisher a read. Even if the story doesn’t resonate with you, the skilled ink drawings will make you appreciate everything that R. Kikuo Johnson has put into this work.

Read the whole review here: http://www.hawaiibookblog.com/article...
Dan
Apr 13, 2012 Dan rated it did not like it
Pretty lame. Saying anything else would just be wasting my breath. Characters are lifeless, uninteresting, predictable, and not really all that deep; and neither is the plot for all that matter. From the crappy plot to the even crappier ending I have no idea how this crap got published. The art-work is pretty I guess though. Two thumbs down.
Jennifer de Guzman
Was it wrong of me to turn sour on this book because "Manila" is misspelled in it? But I guess it was more than that. The cover art and title hints at a beautiful kind of isolation, but the story is just another disaffected youth story -- ennui and amphetamines and academic pressure. The art is very nice, however.
Jenny
Aug 07, 2007 Jenny rated it it was ok
Ugh. The cover is deceiving. Yes some of the drawings are amazing and haunting--oceans crashing up against factories, a sense of the spoiled innocence of the island. But the storyline is pretty bad--rich teens on crystal meth. I wish I could rip off the cover and frame it though!
Salsabrarian
Loren is a Boston transplant to Maui with his dentist father. He attends an elite prep school with his best friend Shane. He and Shane have drifted apart as Shane gets more involved with a dicey, drug-using crowd. They reconnect in this environment primarily because Loren has access to his dad's truck which is used to facilitate runs of petty theft. The boys are arrested when police find stolen goods in the truck. A days-in-the-life glimpse of Loren's balancing act between responsible straight-A ...more
(Jen) The Artist Librarian
Night Fisher was an ... interesting look into the life of a hapa teenage boy living on Maui at the cusp of adulthood. It captures the stress and uncertainty many high school seniors face and depicts how one choice (or a series of choices) can affect your life.

The art is very naturalistic and there are little elements interspersed like “artifacts” of the characters’ lives: a land deed, a map, knot diagrams, botany style plant sketches, etc. I also liked how Johnson dealt with “whispered” dialogu
Nikki Fox
Jul 28, 2009 Nikki Fox rated it liked it
Yay Reid!
Pamela
Sep 16, 2009 Pamela rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, hawaii
I just don't get the whole brooding, self-destructive adolescent machismo thing. Johnson's illustrations are undeniably beautiful—visually, NIGHT FISHER is of the Jessica Abel school of chiaroscuro brushstrokes. But narratively, these characters reveal so little emotion that it's difficult for me to be sympathetic. The redeeming scene of this story is when Loren, the protagonist, wanders through the Filipino market after his arrest. It's only in this mess of babies and breadfruit that the story ...more
James DiVasta
Jun 01, 2016 James DiVasta rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK. It's excellent, having gone to Hawai'i and spoken to locals myself, this book reinforces things they said about gang violence and what some life is like there. Great art style and a great read. I'd recommend it to a ton of people, especially who I went to Hawai'i with. I like how it had chapters as well as how everything was rough and black and white. Give it a go, read this book. It's honestly so good.
Brynn
Jan 09, 2010 Brynn rated it liked it
This graphic novel was a short and stunning look at life in Hawaii, but more important, teen drug use and its causes and consequences. I was torn while reading this book, wondering about what parents might say to have their teenager take home a book that shows drug use and at points has some rather bad language. But I'm realizing that these things seem somehow worse when shown in a visual format as opposed to simply being described in a traditional book. And ultimately, the book is a very dramat ...more
Molly
Really interesting primarily because of its setting in Hawaii and the acknowledgment of cultural/historical issues that complicate Hawaiian identity (though the book never comes right out and says those things, thank goodness). Johnson has a nice, clean illustration style a little like Daniel Clowes's.
Aaron
Feb 26, 2016 Aaron rated it liked it
Wonderful artwork and good sense of negative space in his images and dialogue. The story isn't bad, but doesn't lend itself to much reflection. It's an enjoyable read and is really a good length considering the simple story. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's worth a read.
Audrey
Jul 25, 2015 Audrey rated it it was ok
Shelves: hawaii
Really enjoyed the art style, but the plot was kind of meh, especially the end. In addition, it was sometimes hard to figure out whether the action had changed locations. And in the end, I just wasn't concerned about any of the characters.
Arminzerella
This is a dark graphic novel. It takes place in Hawaii, and explores the lives of some rich prep school teenage guys who get together and smoke crystal meth. Then they steal stuff in order to afford their next hit. They eventually end up in jail for stealing a generator from a building site. The kids are really disaffected and seemingly out of touch with anything really important. They’re bored and they have nothing better to do then get high. It’s sad and scary. They don’t seem to care much abo ...more
Olga
Jul 04, 2014 Olga rated it it was ok
This was just "eh" for me. While the events depicted were sad and realistic, I don't think this novel delved deep enough into the emotional side of things for it to be interesting. Ah well.
Marijan
May 08, 2015 Marijan rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I should have read the reviews before I started this, most of them seem to agree on the "nice art, lame story". Not much more to say about it.
Ray
Mar 31, 2015 Ray rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Adolescence, Hawaii, peer pressure and meth. The black and white story boards are stark and bold like this story. It's any where USA
Mike
Aug 28, 2014 Mike rated it liked it
Liked the art style and the references to the Hawaiian ecosystem, it's just that the story didn't really go anywhere interesting.
Stephanie Bain
Jun 06, 2015 Stephanie Bain rated it liked it
I liked the graphics but sometimes it didnt flow so great (the story). but it was still good. kind of sad in a not super sad way.
D.
Apr 29, 2014 D. added it
Shelves: 2014
The brushwork is full and lush and brave, reminiscent of Paul Pope circa 100%.
The story left me wanting, expecting more.
Brian
Jun 18, 2016 Brian rated it it was ok
Beautiful artwork, uninteresting story.

3 meth hits out of 10.
Jake
Nov 28, 2011 Jake rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I read this in one sitting. It's short, reading as the middle of a larger picture. It's a slice of a high school kid's life. He's shy, but has the loudest friends. He's nervous, but he does crystal meth. He's ambitious, but he doesn't really attempt anything. He's just Loren, some student with glasses and a reluctant taste for crystal methish "batu" on one of the Hawaiian islands. He wants to impress his father and he wants his friends to think he's cool, but he's sort of indifferent to it all t ...more
Jesse Richards
Mar 19, 2014 Jesse Richards rated it it was ok
Beautiful art, poor storytelling.
Ehhtee
Sep 19, 2014 Ehhtee rated it liked it
Shelves:
you should read this book cause a talk about how those boy life go on and for example is they still his dad car and drive it on somewhere and smoke it.
Emilia P
Aug 21, 2011 Emilia P rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Lalala comic book binge. Um, this had great artwork, and the makings of a great story, and captured the spirit of teenage misguidness/viciousness/lostness. But in the end it didn't tie them all together and I get a little tired of books where I can't clearly separate character identities from each other. It made me think fondly of Hawai'i, but I thought the invasive species message, whatever that was, was unnecessary slash meh. But I'd recommend it on the basis of the precise artwork alone.
Penelope
Oct 20, 2008 Penelope rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The illustrations are beautiful, and that's what initially drew me to this book. I had no idea what it was about, and even when I found that it was yet another "coming of age" tale, I wasn't deterred from reading it.

I thought some of the interactions between the characters were interesting and dynamic, but as a whole the story was lacking. The illustrations really carry the story forward, but unfortunately that was the only part of this book that impressed me.
USA Geography Cha...: Night Fisher by R. Kikuo Johnson 1 2 Dec 29, 2014 12:45AM
  • Johnny Hiro
  • Prophet, Volume 2: Brothers
  • Stigmata
  • The Wrenchies
R. Kikuo Johnson grew up in Hawaii on the island of Maui. For generations, native Hawaiians have told tales of the shape-shifting shark god Kamohaoali'i; The Shark King is the artist's version of one such tale about the insatiable appetite of Kamohoali'i's son, Nanaue. Kikuo's 2005 graphic novel Night Fisher - also set in Hawaii - earned him both a Harvey Award and the Russ Manning Award for best ...more
More about R. Kikuo Johnson...