Strega Nona: Her Story

Strega Nona: Her Story (Strega Nona #6)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  519 ratings  ·  42 reviews
From the moment Grandma Concetta sweeps through the door and pronounces her granddaughter a "strega", little Nona's fate is sealed. She will grow up to be just like her Grandma -- treating neighbors' aches and troubles, and preparing steaming plates of pasta from a magic pasta pot
Unabridged
Published (first published September 9th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Strega Nona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strega Nona

Robyn Simmons
Nov 26, 2008 Robyn Simmons rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: primary readers
This book tells the story of a young girl and her Grandma Concetta. Her grandmother passes down all of the traditional family values and beliefs. The girl then believes that her grandmother's famous pot is magical! At the end of the story, her grandmother leaves her the house and the magic pasta pot, leaving her to carry on the tradition.
Dolly
Oct 30, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have read several of the books in the Strega Nona series by Tomie dePaola, so this was a fun look at her early years. Written like a biography, we see Nonalina at her birth, as a young child, and during her school years, prior to taking over for Grandma Concetta as Strega of the village. The illustrations are colorful and entertaining, as we have come to expect in this series. And the ending is humorous, as we are led up to the beginning of the first tale. We enjoyed reading this story togeth...more
Isabella
This book was one I was revisiting from childhood--a short story with wonderful voice and character. It is full of warmth and humor and familial love (all good, important qualities for children to be familiar with!). There is also a subtle message of there being equal honor in a variety of approaches of learning--and special emphasis on the value of learning traditions and wisdom from our knowledgeable elders.
Lisa
These books remind me of my Nana, from Sicily and her stories she tells. I love reading them with my sons. In Strega Nona: Her Story we learn Nona's birth story and how she became a strega. I like the lesson in the book, the secret ingredient to many things in life is LOVE. I also like the message that you dont need a diploma to be good at what you do.
Katharine
My family loves the Strega Nona stories, and often recite the poem while we're making dinner:

"Bubble, bubble pasta pot!
Boil me up some pasta, nice and hot.
I’m hungry and it’s time to sup.
Boil enough pasta to fill me up.

Enough, enough, pasta pot
I have my pasta, nice and hot.
So simmer down my pot of clay
Unitl I’m hungry another day."

Patricia
From her birth until she becomes a strega and invites Big Anthony to work for her, we learn of Strega Nona's childhood and youth.

Emma and I loved it when she tried out a new hairstyle. I loved Grandma Concetta's words of wisdom to Nona (in spite of Emma wanting to know WHY anyone would name their baby Nona, Grandma!):

"You don't need a diploma to be a true strega. You already have everything you need. You have the spirit and kindness that come from the heart. And when I pass my practice over to y...more
Josiah
I like the way that this backstory is developed, with young Nona growing up alongside her friend Amelia in the same house, learning from Strega Concetta about all of the things that would add up to make her a good Strega on her own when she grew to adulthood.

Even as Amelia moved away from home and took a distinct liking to the city life while Nona found that she loved the simple, natural lifestyle and earthy healing methods that Concetta used, the most important lesson that Strega Concetta imp...more
Rebecca Saxon
A sweet prequel in which Strega Nona tells her story. Steeped in Italian culture and folklore this is a charming story.
Mckinley
Her biography so to speak. Liked the others about Stega Nona better.
Elizabeth S
When I picked this off the shelf at the library, I was thinking it was the first book about Strega Nona. Since I'd read one of the later ones, and I was somewhat confused because I hadn't read the first one, I thought I'd fix that. Well, now I'm even worse off than before! :) The goodreads description says this is a prequel, and it isn't kidding. I think the first 90% of the book works on its own, but it doesn't have much meaning if you don't already know the characters. The ending means nothing...more
Brenna Johnson
Everyone needs a Strega Nona!
Marisa
I love this story. I always have from the first time I read it.
Reading it to my daughter today I picked up on things that I had not before. Like how even though Nona and Amelia separate and Nona lives in the country and Amelia lives in the city it does not make one better than the other and they are still able to be friends even though they are different. Since that is something we are striving to teach my daughter I liked the subtle message of it in the story.
Amanda
Since I've always liked Tomie DePaola's illustrations and I saw a lot of Strega Nona titles, I thought I'd try this one out. The end would've made more sense if I knew the original story, but this was kind of a prequel, I guess, to that. Since she seems kind of like an herbalist or something, I'm OK with it, although the mention of magic made me a little nervous since that is something that a very concrete thinking preschooler might take to heart.
Skylar Burris
I'm not one of those Christians who objects to reading stories to my children that contain magic and witches and such, but this one just made witchcraft seem perfectly consistent with Christianity, so I'm not comfortable reading it to my children again. Additionally, before reading this edition, there is apparently some background required, as the ending seems abrupt and cryptic otherwise.
Wastell Mcneil
Nona's grandmother, a strega (witch), teaches her granddaughter how to search for different herbs to cure many things. After Nona goes to an Academy to learn modern spells, she begins to miss her grandmother. When Nona visits her grandmother, she is taught more spells and takes on the role of strega and advice giver when her grandmother retires.
Snorkle
This was a cute read. I enjoyed seeing how Strega Nona got started, after all, I have read several other books about her. I would recommend, especially if you were already a fan of this series.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Janet
This is the "back story" of Nona's birth, her learning time with Grandma Concetta as Nona learns to be a Strega. Most interesting is the presentation of the pasta pot and its magic secret that is left for now Strega Nona. dePaola has created a lovely warm character in Strega Nona.
Jessica Bennett
A granddaughter wants to be a strega just like her grandmother and decides to learn everything from her because she is the best teacher. This book has a few Italian words that children can learn while reading. I would read this book just for fun during free time.
Lori Smith
This book could be used to show students a different genre. Though it is a storybook, it is a biography. It is also a book about friendship and can show students another family dynamic due to the fact that Strega Nona is raised by her grandmother.
Carol Hardesty
One of my favorites in the "Strega Nona" series. It's really amazing to see the life of such a beloved childhood character. Tomie dePaola's storytelling and illustrations don't fail. Another gentle and colorful picture book from childhood.
Jenny Wright
A cute tale about where Nona Strega learned all of her tricks - from her own Nona! It is sweet that every book has so many Italian cultural references- from location to languages.
Becca
I picked this one up by mistake, and wondered where the magic pasta pot was until I realized I was reading the wrong book! This is the prequel, where she chooses her apprentice.
Andd Becker
Nona is a strega. Grandma Concetta teaches her to gather herbs and weeds to make lotions and potions. There is a magic pasta pot. The secret ingredient is revealed.
Lisa
I'm a huge Tomie dePaola fan, and this book is no exception. It's a Strega Nona prequel, telling about her childhood and how she came to be a healer/witch.
Izlinda
It was nice to read about Strega Nona's beginnings and how she met Amelia. A really charming book, and I like Tomie dePaola's illustrations.
Bethany Erickson
No wonder I was confused by the ending, "And the rest was history." I meant to read Strega Nona, but I picked up Strega Nona: Her Story instead.
Rachelle
This book can be used in so many ways in the classroom. The story is so fun, it is going to be engaging to any students you read it to.
Oct 31, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with children
Shelves: children, youth-8
I really liked to read the story that tells how Strega Nona got her name. Italian words are also learned throughout the story.
J.cuevas
I love how it gives out the best ingrediente segreto of all in its own strega nona way! I liked it very much =)
Pauline
Loved the back story about how Strega Nona came to be...lovely telling of her relationship with her grandmother.
  • Babushka's Doll
  • Hedgie's Surprise
  • Anansi and the Talking Melon
  • Whopper Cake
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • The Quilt Story
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • Bats at the Beach
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • The Princess and the Pizza
  • Big Words for Little People
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
  • Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come
  • Yakov and the Seven Thieves
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure....more
More about Tomie dePaola...
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs