Start by marking “The Wake-Up” as Want to Read:
The Wake-Up

The Wake-Up

When Frank Thorpe, a deeply moral former undercover operative, sees a hard-charging art dealer knock down a Latino child in LAX airport, he decides to teach him a lesson. But Thorpe's plans get a little out of hand, and Thorpe becomes immersed in a criminal underworld peopled by a drug dealing surfer with a socially-climbing wife, two mentally challenged goons with a pench ...more
Trade Paperback, 256 pages
Published August 2005 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Wake-Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wake-Up

Tony
Sep 16, 2016 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE WAKE-UP. (2004). Robert Ferrigno. ***1/2.
Here’s another excellent thriller from this author. The protagonist is Frank Thorpe, a man formerly a member of several elite teams within the intelligent community. When he had enough of that, he found himself drifting into the camps of his former adversaries. It’s time for him to retire, but he finds it difficult to get away from his past. A small incident at an airport ticketing area sets him off. A young boy who is selling souvenirs is severely jo
Bob Ryan
Nov 13, 2016 Bob Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't heard of this book of the author before I began reading. It turned out to be a delightful surprise. In the style of Elmore Leonard, a hero who isn't quite pure, villains who aren't quite criminal masterminds and a plot that meanders through the drug and surfing world of Southern California. No social comments or earthshaking revelations, just a well crafted mystery. I'm sure I'll be reading more from Mr. Ferrigno.
Robert Buehler
Jan 13, 2017 Robert Buehler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Interesting characters, nice storyline. Just enough action. A few twists and turns. Hard to set down once the story started moving.

Wendy
Aug 16, 2016 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank, former member of covert operations group, witnesses a businessman injure a young boy by rushing by & knocking him down. Frank hates that kind of arrogance and decides the man needs a wake-up call, something that will get his attention, make him realize his behavior is unacceptable. However, things don't always work the way we plan, and the wake-up ultimately puts the businessman and his family in harms way from the seemingly innocent vehicle - a woman Frank picked for the call. So now ...more
Nate Granzow
Sep 27, 2016 Nate Granzow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had my doubts when I began this book, thinking the premise a little weak. A badass witnesses a minor injustice and decides to get back at the guy who did it. So straightforward as to be a little...tame. But the author handled the plot with skill, building up the complexity and the stakes to make for a really wild ride. The protagonist goes from James Bond in a slump to a hardened operative navigating a world of drug dealers, temptresses, assassins, and corrupt DEA agents. Ferrigno's prose is b ...more
Don
Oct 14, 2009 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank Thorpe, hard-nosed but fair-minded ex-Shop (read: TLA) operative, witnesses a self-centered businessman casually injure a beggar-type kid at an airport and decides to give the guy a "wake-up" call -- something intended not to ruin the guy's life, but to get his attention and make him a little more considerate. The wake-up goes awry and quite a few people end up dead before Frank can straighten things out. A fun read a la Hiaasen.
Randy Schultz
Dec 20, 2010 Randy Schultz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good thriller. Thorpe is pretty cool and Ferrigno can write! The genre is hardboiled action like Hiassen, Hunter, Gischler, Crais etc... Not as good as Hunter or Crais but definitely worth my looking for other titles. Ferrigno may end up an equal to Crais or Hunter whose books I have read in their entirety so the comparison is heavily lopsided.
Sam Reaves
Aug 23, 2012 Sam Reaves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobody captures the off-the-wall anarchy of Southern California better than Ferrigno. Or the way the best-laid plans can blow up in your face when you're dealing with psychopaths... Another wild ride from one of the best stylists in the business.
Gary Sedivy
Aug 12, 2008 Gary Sedivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of revenge, retribution, and sometimes you get what you asked for but don't like it.
Ferrigno is becoming a favorite writer for me. I look for his books when searching for new reading material.
John L. Schwartz
Aug 26, 2016 John L. Schwartz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite good

I had some trouble staying with the twists and turns...but in the end I found this to be well written and enjoyable. I look forward to seeing his next book.
Tara Wowra
Aug 13, 2011 Tara Wowra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel makes you wish you could do what the main character can do. And Robert Ferrigno's books are always page turners.
Kaylol
Aug 19, 2014 Kaylol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it much at the start. I needed more details about what happened with Kimberly, everything was rushed and no fun to read at all. But after a couple of chapters it got good.
Nick Sotos
Mar 07, 2013 Nick Sotos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally enjoyed this book. What can I say...I agree, every now and then an asshole needs a wake up. Enough said!
Larry Gardner
Larry Gardner rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2011
Hist_ed
Hist_ed rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2013
[riley]
[riley] rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Glendeen Countryman
Glendeen Countryman rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Steuart
Steuart rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2011
Allison Ballinger
Allison Ballinger rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Dan Stinton
Dan Stinton rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Sharon Allen
Sharon Allen rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Ikindler
Ikindler rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2009
Jonquil
Jonquil rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Richard Heggie
Richard Heggie rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Clara C. Hope
Clara C. Hope rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2009
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Doctor Who: Dying in the Sun
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 4: The Narrows, The Closers, Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #10-12)
  • Saturday's Child (Cal Innes, #1)
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • Small Crimes
  • The Cold Spot (Cold, #1)
  • The Big O
  • 86'd
  • Geek Mafia: Mile Zero
  • Agents of Treachery: Never Before Published Spy Fiction from Today's Most Exciting Writers
  • Trap Line
  • Ghosted
  • All Eyes on Her
  • The Cleanup
  • American Skin
  • Chasers
  • Lying With the Dead
  • Two-Way Split
Robert Ferrigno is an American author of crime novels and of speculative fiction. I've written twelve novels in the last twenty years, most crime thrillers. Sins of the Assassin was a finalist for the Edgar, Best Novel, by the Mystery Writers of America in 2008, and my comic short story, "Can I Help You Out?" won the Silver Dagger, Best Short Story, by the Mystery Association of Great Britain.

Seri
More about Robert Ferrigno...