Start by marking “Algorithm Design” as Want to Read:
Algorithm Design

Algorithm Design

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Algorithm Design "introduces algorithms by looking at the real-world problems that motivate them. The book teaches students a range of design and analysis techniques for problems that arise in computing applications. The text encourages an understanding of the algorithm design process and an appreciation of the role of algorithms in the broader field of computer science.
A
Published March 26th 2005 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published March 16th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Algorithm Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Algorithm Design

Rod Hilton
It's an Algorithms book. So I know what you're thinking "why would I read this book, when the standard text on Algorithms is CLRS, which is in fact so popular that nobody even refers to it by name, but simply as 'CLRS'?" Bear with me here; Algorithm Design is better than CLRS.

Now, it's not as COMPREHENSIVE. If you want a reference book to sit on your desk for later use, by all means use CLRS. CLRS is a great book to pick up, flip to the index, find the thing you're curious about, and read the re
Pz
If you need a handbook on algorithms and data structures get CLR. If you want to truly understand algorithm design and analysis, this is your book. Its one of the few textbooks with a coherent narrative, as opposed to the "step 1, step2, QED" style of so many other textbooks. The problems are all really good, too.
Li Zhan
Good selection of topics in good organization and order! Too thick! Can be more succinct!
Joecolelife
Apr 18, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
I use this book in a course and I am immensely pleased with it. I must point out, though, that this is a very theoretical book. There is not much code and the authors use rather high-level psuedo code for what's there. However, it is great at explaining concepts and what the generic algorithms actually do. So it does its job quite brilliantly. If you need more code, you might want to pick up the Sedewick books, although the code could be better commented and organized if you asked me.
Travis Johnson
I had a great time with this book and it's associated class. Seemed like a great way to learn algorithms-type things. If I remember correctly, it even had a pretty good overview of the Fast Fourier Transform.
Dustin
Quintessential reading for anyone who does any kind of software-based problem solving.
Zheng zheng
The best algorithm book I used. It is a great enjoyment to read if it is about algorithm!
Omar Ibrahim Alsaleh
It's hard to understand. I don't like it.
Ambarish Hazarnis
it's fun to solve the exercises
Hamdiakoguz
Rewarding.
Peter
Peter added it
Jan 26, 2015
Behzad
Behzad marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Andrew David Burt
Andrew David Burt is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Echo
Echo marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Palli Gunnarsson
Palli Gunnarsson is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Anel
Anel marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Hsinliang Liu
Hsinliang Liu marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Bakthyar Syed
Bakthyar Syed is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2015
Nikita Zhiltsov
Nikita Zhiltsov marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Trung
Trung marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Takeaki Yamasaki
Takeaki Yamasaki marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
  • Elements of Programming
  • Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach
  • Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science
  • Types and Programming Languages
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (Cambridge Series on Information and the Natural Sciences)
  • Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
  • Machine Learning
  • The Unix Programming Environment
  • Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Networks, Crowds, and Markets: Reasoning about a Highly Connected World Algorithm Design: Pearson New International Edition Networks, Crowds, and Markets