Start by marking “Granddaddy's Gift” as Want to Read:
Granddaddy's Gift

Granddaddy's Gift

When her grandfather registers to vote while living in segregated Mississippi, an Afro-American girl begins to understand why he insists that she attend school.
Paperback
Published March 1st 1998 by Troll Communications (first published February 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Granddaddy's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Granddaddy's Gift

Lillian's Right to Vote by Jonah WinterVoice of Freedom by Carole Boston WeatherfordGranddaddy's Turn by Michael S BandyIf I Ran for President by Catherine StierGrace for President by Kelly DiPucchio
People of Color and Elections
8th out of 26 books — 3 voters
Amelia Bedelia's First Vote by Herman ParishDuck for President by Doreen CroninBad Kitty for President by Nick BruelThe Election Activity Book by Karen BaickerDaffy Duck for President by Chuck Jones
Children's Books About Voting
44th out of 97 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Kellie Eckert
Mar 03, 2014 Kellie Eckert rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Granddaddy’s Gift
Written by Margaree King Mitchell,
Illustrated by Larry Johnson

1. Genre: Picture Book, Historical Fiction
2. Summary: A little girl learns what her grandfather must do to get the right to vote in the pre-civil-rights era south. She watches as he studies for and passes the constitution test and then sees the black community come together in response to church burnings. It ends with the realization the while they have come a long way, they have still have a long way to go.
3. Cur
Elisabeth
I chose to read Granddaddy's Gift because Uncle Jed's Barbershop by Margaree King Mitchell is one of my favorite children's books. She does a lovely job in GG as well. Little Joe and her siblings live with their grandparents in rural Mississippi during the 1960s--smack dab in the middle of the struggle for civil rights. Little Joe wants to quit school because, as she says, "I already knew how to read and write, and the books we had at home were better than the books at school." Her granddaddy, w ...more
(NS) - Heather Hayman
Nov 04, 2009 (NS) - Heather Hayman rated it really liked it
Granddaddy's Gift, by Margaree King Mitchell, talks about the struggle that African Americans encountered while trying to gain the right to vote. The main characters in this story are Joe Morgan and his granddaughter, Little Joe. In spite of only completing his education through 8th grade, Joe is a man who has worked hard all of his life and owns his own farmland. When it comes time for someone in the Mississippi community to register for the right to vote, Joe is the man who steps up. As a ...more
Natalie Brockmeier
This book was great. I love the smudged look of the illustrations that this story had, as well as the message in it, which is to stand up for what is right even when the odds look to be stacked against you.
This book would be great in a civil rights unit as well as just a general good read for students in third, fourth, or fifth grade. This story would be a great discussion as to how different races face problems that many others don't, and more than that, that many other races don't even realiz
Dannita Stanley
Mar 08, 2015 Dannita Stanley rated it liked it
Grandaddy's Gift is a book that can be shared with students to help them understand the importance of education. It can also help them understand the importance of having and exercising their rights. The messages obtained through this story make it a great read and great for others to enjoy. While it helps the reader understand some of the harsh treatment that blacks received, it does not give explicit detailed accounts in a violent manner.

I was most drawn into this story when "Daughter" questio
Mackenzie Sipes
Feb 16, 2015 Mackenzie Sipes rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. It had a really good story line and lesson that can be learned. It is really neat that it is based on historical events but put into the perspective of a child. THe illustrations also were very beautiful.

Purpose:
Curricular: This could be used for an introduction to a history unit. The concept of racism can be hard for younger children to understand. Using the perspective of a child can make the history lesson a bit easier because the characters explain how African Am
Michael Schwalbenberg
Jun 28, 2015 Michael Schwalbenberg rated it it was amazing
I will add Granddaddy's Gift to my text set. The story is about an African American girl learning what her grandfather must do to get the right to vote in the pre-civil-rights era south. She watches as he studies for and passes the constitution test and then sees the black community come together in response to church burnings. It ends with the realization the while they have come a long way, they have still have a long way to go. This story is a great introduction to the racist laws and culture ...more
Andrea Thomas, Greenville
Jan 16, 2013 Andrea Thomas, Greenville rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity, owned
This book is written using easy language for young readers to understand. I would use this book in February to discuss segregagtion with the students. The little girl's Granddaddy teaches her to strive for the rights you are entitled to as citizens of the United States as he fights for the right to vote. It teaches you the importance of standing up for things, even if you are scared, and to always be proud.
Bryson Henderson
Jun 27, 2016 Bryson Henderson rated it really liked it
This book is about segregation, and a little girl who loved her granddaddy. She loved him so much she followed him everywhere he went and copied him. The theme of this book is African American voting rights. I person liked the book, because its a sign of us today and why we have the right to vote. I recommend this book so little kids can learn more about the past.
Brandy
Apr 10, 2011 Brandy rated it liked it
Shelves: social-studies
This is an inspiring story that i would love to share with students from 1st to 3rd grade. i would incorporate it in our social studies civil right unit. It is a good, simplified story of how the south was back in the day. This book can lead to great class discussions and writings about our rights, segregation, and even slavery.
Leandra
Dec 07, 2010 Leandra rated it it was amazing
Amazing book for children that goes into the civil rights movement of the 1960's. This story is about a little girl whose grandfather is the first black man to be registered to vote in their town. I enjoyed reading it because it reminded me of a story that my mother would have read to me when I was younger.
Tori Davenport
This is a great story about fighting for what you believe in. The story is told from the perspective of a little girl who follows her grandfather while he fights for the right to vote. This is a great book to read to kids when talking about segregation and how hard it was for African-Americans to gain basic rights that we now all have.
Canadian Reader
Jan 01, 2013 Canadian Reader rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A picture book narrative about a young girl who learns the value of an education when she witnesses her grandfather study to write a test on the constitution in order to be eligible to vote. This book would be a useful read-aloud for a unit on human or civil rights.
Shuntia Williams
This is a beautiful story about a girl who learns that life isn't always fair. Her grandfather was the first African American man to register to vote (he was also the first to pass the test to vote!). This story will inspire children to always strive to do the right thing.
Cynthia
Oct 07, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I will use this book in my classroom to help teach about the Civil RIghts movement. The story is about a girl whose grandfather took a stand against segregation by registering to vote The illustrations are beautiful.
Shannon Clark
Jul 31, 2013 Shannon Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-reviewed-yet
A realistic depiction of the civil rights era. I will be reading this one out loud to my 6th graders when we study the civil rights movement and segregation!
Jana
With the backdrop of the Civil Rights era and the struggle African-Americans had to get the right to vote, this story teaches a young girl the power of education. I love it!
Mari Stair
Mari Stair rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Jonathan Sanchez
Jonathan Sanchez rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2011
TheRenegadeRainbow
TheRenegadeRainbow rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Gabby Ebel
Gabby Ebel rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Vera
Vera rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Angelica
Angelica rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Elizabeth Dumoulin
Elizabeth Dumoulin rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Fran
Fran rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Jade
Jade rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Junetta West
Junetta West rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Carole
Carole rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014
Shawn Huffm
Shawn Huffm rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013