Start by marking “Too Much Talk: A West African Folktale” as Want to Read:
Too Much Talk: A West African Folktale

Too Much Talk: A West African Folktale

A talking yam! Whoever heard of such a thing? Certainly not the farmer in this African folktale, whose yam yaks. And not the fisherman, whose fish declares that yams can speak. And what will the king say when he hears of all this foolish talk? (More important, what will his royal chair say?) Full of hubbub and hullabaloo, this traditional story from Ghana offers an ...more
Published October 2nd 1995 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Too Much Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Much Talk

Neelam
Oct 26, 2012 Neelam rated it really liked it
Too Much Talk: A West African Folktale is a retelling of a traditional tale about a king who refuses to believe that the yams, fish, and cloth can talk until his royal throne agrees with him.
It is a story which should be encouraged to be read with children out aloud with plenty of participation from them; primarily I think it should be read as a whole class during carpet time. I encountered this book when I read it with a reception class and they seemed to absolutely love it as every talking cre
Darren Shoneye
Oct 26, 2012 Darren Shoneye rated it it was amazing
A multi-cultural society should be reflected in our classrooms, and nothing does this better than a lovely, diverse book shelf. Today, I read the last book in a series of black culture books, for the last day of 'Black History' month, and it ended on a very positive note, with this absolutely brilliant book.

'Too Much Talk: A West African Folktale', is a Ghanaian folktale where the yam talks. This sets in motion the animation of inanimate things.

Now, I just want to contextualise how celebrating
Danny Marshall
May 28, 2012 Danny Marshall rated it it was amazing
I read this book as part of a Barnaby Bear Topic with my year one class. Barnaby was currently visiting Kenya and this was a text chosen for his visit for the class to study and to do work around. It is just an absolutely FANTASTIC book. There is lots of repetition in the story enabling children to get actively involved (they especially loved it when you shout the ooooiiieeeeee! sound) and to develop their speaking skills.

I have taught many lessons which come effortlessly from this story. From
Hulaimat Iyabo
Jul 25, 2012 Hulaimat Iyabo rated it it was amazing
First the yam talked, then the dog talked, then the fish talked, then the cloth talked and then the water talked. These crazy events send the villagers in disarray. They took their concerns to the chief, who vehemently dismissed their claims and threatened to throw them in jail so they all ran away.
Sat on his royal chair, the chief mocked the gibberish he had been confronted with. To his shock and horror, the chair spoke to him sending him running away, never to be seen again!
I love this book!
Nafis
Jul 05, 2013 Nafis rated it it was amazing
Another excellent ive read to my class on at least two occasions is 'Too Much Talk' The book is ezxcellent because it provides so many opportunities for children to get involved in enunciating words that are continuously repeated during the story. The story also has unique illustrations and a very funny conclusion that the children in my class all know very well by now but love to hear again and again!
Maria
Dec 29, 2011 Maria rated it liked it
A funny African folktale with repetitive words - great beginner book for children. I like that the illustrator Stefano Vitale, Itialian, researched African art so he could do the pictures.
Elaine
Sep 21, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Traditional Fantasy
The illustrations are fantastic in this book! It would be a great story for a shared reading.
Santiago Padilla
Santiago Padilla rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2015
Zoraida Cortes
Zoraida Cortes rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Sienna
Sienna rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Nahirannette
Nahirannette rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Yann Tanguay
Yann Tanguay rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Cat
Cat rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Georgia
Georgia rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2013
Lyka Apud
Lyka Apud rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2012
Becki Lusk
Becki Lusk rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Ashlee
Ashlee rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2010
Alia
Alia rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
Trisha
Trisha rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Noah
Noah rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Randy Varcho
Randy Varcho rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Cana
Cana rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Kimmae
Kimmae rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2009
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012