Start by marking “Murder at The Washington Tribune” as Want to Read:
Murder at The Washington Tribune

Murder at The Washington Tribune (Capital Crimes #21)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  59 reviews
From senators to summer interns, from all the president’s men to all-powerful women, Margaret Truman captures the fascinating, high-wire drama of Washington, D.C., like no other writer. Now this master of mystery fiction takes us into the capital’s chaotic fourth estate. At the big, aggressive newspaper The Washington Tribune, a young woman has been murdered. And the hunt ...more
Audio CD
Published October 25th 2005 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at The Washington Tribune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at The Washington Tribune

Nike Chillemi
Murder at the Washington Tribune by Margaret Truman was a sad dissapointment to me. I suppose the author was going for sophistication. However, I like the hero (or heroine, or both) to be likable and veteran news reporter at the Trib, Joe Wilcox simply wasn't. Not only that, none of the characters in the book were, except Joe's wife Georgia, who he cheated on with the only other female character who was even remotely likeable, D.C. police detective Edith Vargas Swayze. Joe's TV news anchor daugh ...more
Julie
Published in 2005, Murder at the Washington Tribune, is like Margaret Truman's other mysteries. Superb! There has been a murder in the fictional "Washington Tribune". (All other locals such as eateries, and other landmarks are authentic to D C ) The police are investigating, but the paper starts it's own investigation as well. Enter Joe Wilcox, a veteran crime reporter. He's married, has an adult daughter with a career in broadcast journalism. Joe is in full tilt midlife crisis. He's knocking on ...more
Nicole Long
This was a 5 star book for me up until the end. It felt like she just ran out of steam and the way the ending was presented was just flat and uninspired. During the majority of the book, it was exciting and I looked forward to what was going to happen next.
Gwen
In the interest of full disclosure, this is the first mystery I've ready by Truman (so I'm a little slow). And, I'm not a DC denizen, so I have no idea how accurate, or not, some of the details are.

There were many things I enjoyed about this book, a mystery that centers with, yes, a murder at a newspaper. The relationship, and tension, between Joe Wilcox, Tribune crime reporter, and Roberta Wilcox, daughter and television reporter, was a good one. The pride, and concern, they had for each other,
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
2.5 Stars

Margaret Truman is usually a good read. She knows how to meld character and plot driven narrative into her Capital Crimes Series, and that is what makes her mysteries good. However, Murder at The Washington Tribune was not her best novel. The plot line of young beautiful and rising “Panache” reporter, Jean Kaporis, at the fictitious Washington Tribune found brutally strangled in the supply closet at the far end of the newspaper’s main Newsroom immediately hooks the reader; especially wh
 Marla
Trebro
Once upon a time I read Margaret Truman mystery novels. I don't remember which ones they were, sadly, but I do remember liking them. So I started to collect them as I found them at book sales and whatnot, and when I got back into audio books at the beginning of the year, I thought I'd start "reading" some of them.

Well, either my taste has changed or Ms. Truman's writing has faltered because this one's a total dud. Had it not been an audio book, I'd have probably given up. As it was, the story im
Kay
Unlike the other books Truman has written, this one did not deal with politics. Instead it dealt with an aging reporter who does not follow the ethics he has always held so high. Add a brother who has been in a mental hospital for murder for 40 years, a daughter that is a popular t.v. reporter, a wonderful understanding wife, a policewoman that he once had a fling with and other colorful characters. It was actually a good book.
Joan Schrock
I likee Margaqret Truman Washington Mysteries because there are interesting facts about Washington and a sneek peekinto the inner government workings as well as a mystery to solve at the same time. This is "Chewing gum for the eyes" as a friend once described a light, non descriptive violence, easy reading book.
Leroy Seat
This is the first murder mystery I have read since "Murder on K Street," Margret Truman's novel published in 2008, the year she died. And was a very engaging book that I enjoyed a lot. But I thought there was a basic flaw: the plot hinged on something (that seemed quite unimportant at the time), which while not impossible seemed quite improbable. Had it not been for that, I would have given it four stars rather than just three.

I liked what Joe once said to his daughter: "If you're ever put in a
DJ
Narrator for audio version was dreadful. Same dull, dry voice was the same for every character. Got halfway through and gave up. Like watching paint dry.
Sandy
My mom loved Margaret Truman books so I would always bring some to her. I never read them. I bought this book shortly before she passed away and she was having trouble reading. I rescued it. She never read it. I loved it, or was it she loving it through me. I will read more, Mom!
Joyce McKune
A reporter for the Washington Tribune, getting on towards retirement, forges a letter to himself saying it's from the serial killer.
Kerry
In lieu of moving my life 3,000 miles my book goal for the year got slightly skewed... After the start of unpacking and being desperate for a book and having this one be the one I found... It still wasnt all & all awful, but it was more like a re-heated Cromwell/Patterson book. This genre is in some serious need of a re-vamp.

While we all know what Truman is famous for... and if you don't stop reading only the comics in the paper, she's not an awful writer, but I'm fairly certain publishers c
Bob
Joe Wilcox is a cops reporter nearing retirement. He has been a competent and ethical reporter over the years, but is still looking for that one big story which will leave its mark over the years. He is tested by a murder which occurs right under his nose at his paper. He is tempted to cut corners to sensationalize the story, he succumbs and must bear the consequenses. I started this book a couple of years ago, and quit. Since I am reaching retirement it was painful to read about someone flaming ...more
Yosef Shapiro
Not one of her better efforts. It was very predicatble and had very one dimensional characters.
Linda Fast
The book centers around the Washington Tribute where a young female journalist has just been strangled. Joe Wilcox, an older journalist is investigating who has committed the murder and will stop at nothing, no matter how low, to find out the truth. As Wilcox is being pushed slowly out of hi job he tries to reinvent himself as a top notch reporter and risks his job as well as his family and personal relationships.
I found this book to be boring and it dragged slowly.
E.M. Lynley
Not a well-written mystery. The perp was pretty obvious, particularly because there were no other reasonable suspects. The protag wasn't engaging or likable, and I wouldn't have kept reading except that I wanted to read a book featuring a journalist at a DC paper.
Lorraine
Falls in the category of run-of-the-mill mystery novel. Nothing really suspenseful or interesting about it.

Too many ruminations by characters about things the reader doesn't care about. Perhaps they were to give the characters some depth and personality, but the introspections were boring.

The wife is as flat and static a character as they come.
The cop's divorce storyline was completely irrelevant, as is the daughter's love life.
Alex
The last of my official beach reads this year carried into the next week; its amazingly difficult to balance reading with little people in the house.
Multiple murders set the stage for a possible serial killer at the Washington newspaper. Writer Joe Wilcox finds himself in the midst of all the action.
Very enjoyable, with a easy lobs but also a couple of twists I didnt see coming.
Peter
Margaret Truman has made a name for herself writing novels set in Washington Institutions. This is set in the offices and atmosphere of Washington Journalism. It has very nice elements...the struggle over the evolving nature of journalism...print vs TV, young vs old...a strangely compeeling personal story behind crime reporter Joe Wilcox's descent into corruption.
Susan
This is a solid well written book that kept me guessing all the way to the last chapter where the perpetrator was revealed. Margaret Truman does an excellent job of creating characters that are both believable and likeable. They are well rounded and each person had their good and not so good qualities.
Steve
book on tape
veteran Trib reporter Joe Wilcox, whose career is mired in frustration and disappointment, the case strikes close to home. His daughter is a beautiful rising TV news star.
good twists and turns. his brother is something else.
highly recommend, terrificv ending!!!
AnnieM
it was a ling rambling style book. I found the characters somewhere between whiney and annoying. it was too long and I lost interest I. the journalism setting long before the books was done. I doubt I would listen to another audio book by this author.
Barbara
I'm not a big fan of these books, but this one was interesting to me as a former journalist. It's topical, with the recent cases of newspapers becoming the story themselves, and there are intriguing insights into the world of news gathering.
Cindy
This was not as good as some of the others. It had a phycological thriller component to it and there wasn't as much of the jusicy DC gossip in this. It did manage to keep me turning those pages to find out "Who done it".
Laura Beasley
Good story but I figured out 2 of the murders fairly easily. She built the story up with twists and turns but then the ending was kind of a letdown. The story kept my interest and she made most of the characters believable.
Lonnie
stumbled across this book while traveling and finished the book I had brought. Liked her dad as a president (history books not personal life) so thought I would give her writing a try. Liked it quite a bit.
Rebecca
I wanted to like this a lot more, as I generally like Margaret Truman books, but this one just didn't do it for me. Characters just did things that seemed improbable, and I had a hard time getting into it.
Jaime
Okay, I didn't finish this. In fact, I didn't finish listening to the first disc of the audio book. It just didn't grab me. It's the first Capital Crimes book I haven't enjoyed.
  • Murder at the Palace (Eleanor Roosevelt, #5)
  • Cat in a Neon Nightmare (Midnight Louie, #15)
  • Above the Law
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • A Shoot on Martha's Vineyard (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #9)
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Turns the Tide
  • Murder on Board: The Mystery of the Blue Train / What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw /Death in the Air
  • Hounded to Death (Melanie Travis, #14)
  • Shadow of a Doubt (Charley Sloan, #1)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)
Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1) Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4) Murder at the Library of Congress (Capital Crimes, #16) Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10) Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)