The Brethren
read book* *Different edition

The Brethren

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  20 reviews
From the sea-wall on the coast of Essex, Rosamund looked out across the ocean eastwards. To right and left, but a little behind her, like guards attending the person of their sovereign, stood her cousins, the twin brethren, Godwin and Wulf, tall and shapely men. Godwin was still as a statue, his hands folded over the hilt of the long, scabbarded sword, of which the point w...more
Published June 15th 2007 by 1st World Library (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Brethren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brethren

Tanvir Ahmed
The Brethren takes the reader on a wild and engrossing adventure from England, through the Third Crusade, and right into Jerusalem. There are sympathetic Saracens, evil knights, heroes, cruel lords, and of course, the fair maiden Rosamund, beautifully complemented by her foil, the independent and fearless Lady Masouda. Although in the end the book did annoy me a great deal as to who got the girl, I did enjoy it.
Alicia Willis
3.5 Stars. 13+

I was warned that this book would be a love-hate relationship for me. Oh, yes. It was. There were times I was on the edge of my seat with excitements, others I was rolling my eyes and longing to hurl the book across the room.

Pros first. I liked the historical dialogue, the medieval era, and the beautiful Arabian descriptions. The Arabian customs were very fun to read about. I loved Masouda - she was my favorite character. In fact, she was what made the book worth reading, not the m...more
Abigail Rasmussen
Set in the days of the Crusaders, this books tells of a young maiden named Rosamund, and her twin cousins. Godwin is the grey eyed thoughtful man, and Wulf is the blue eyed warrior. They are both knights of England and they are both in love with their fair cousin. But the riddle of the story is which does Rosamund love?

The adventure begins when Rosamund is taken from England and carried to the East. The plot thickens as the two young knights follow her in hopes of rescuing her from the Muslim le...more
Cassandra Noelle
(I wrote a long review for this and then my computer crashed so this is going to be the shorter, updated version.)

I really enjoy H. Rider Haggard as an author. While Peal Maiden is my favorite of what I've read so far, I really do love Lysbeth and The Brethren as well. King Solomon's Mines has been on my to-read list for a long time.

One thing that I appreciate is the "clean" and godly stories and characters of Haggard's novels. The Brethren was no exception. The men were brave and strong and th...more
Annie
Ok, aside from the fact that this book is ridiculously racist (I'm not just speaking about the anti-Islam slant, which was to be expected, I'm talking about the way the characters viewed anyone with "Eastern" blood. It was really disgusting), the reason I really loathed it was because of what happened to Masouda. She was amazing; none of the other characters could even come close to the bravery, intelligence, and integrity she displayed, in my opinion. (And no, I didn't think Godwin was fit to k...more
Breanna
Two lovers by the maiden sate,
Without a glace of jealous hate;
The maid her lovers sat between,
With open brow and equal mien;
It is a sight but rarely spied,
Thanks to man's wrath and woman's pride.
Scott

The Brethren is a tale of two brother that love the same maiden but yet will let no jealousy break their friendship. When the maiden is taken to Palestine against her will the brethren swear to follow her captors and rescue her! Upon the journey to reclaim their love the knights must overcome ma...more
Oceaneyes12
One of the best books I've ever read. The character arcs are beautiful. This is the only book I've ever read that not only has a love triangle that works, but it's also beautiful and graceful.
Leah Cossette
I read the Brethren a long time ago. It was the first Haggard book I'd ever read, and I was quickly hooked.

The Brethren is more than just an adventure story or a love story; it...more
Alan Robertshaw
Not at all like other Rider Haggards I have read. This is a bold excursion into fictionalised history, linking together the worlds of Saracen incursion and post-conquest England in a bold and engaging way. Surging, complex narrative and a convincing if wholly fictional world picture make it a wholly engaging read. The villains and heroes are polar opposites, of course - but that kind of moral absolutism suits the genre, and certainly helps the story along.
Relstuart
Two friends and sworn brothers fall in love with the same woman. When they find out instead of falling out over her they pledge to go off to the crusades and after time come back to the issue. This book records their adventures and the results. Well done and a classic favorite.

This author was reportedly Winston Churchill's favorite fiction author. :)
Ishrat Rathy
আমি পড়েছি মূলত সেবার অনুবাদ, একটানে একনিঃশ্বাসে পড়ে ফেলার মত বই, দারুণ এডভেঞ্ছার, পাঠক ধরে রাখার মতন শক্তিশালী চুম্বকের মতন আকর্ষণীয় লেখনী...
মূলত ঐতিহাসিক সাহিত্য, এবং সেই হিসেবে বিচার করলে যথার্থ ও নির্মোহ ইতিহাস রচনা করেছে হ্যাগার্ড, কোন বিশেষ গোষ্ঠীর প্রতি দুর্বলতার প্রকাশ ঘটেনি মোটেই...

Thomas Sanjurjo
High stepping romp through the Crusades following the travails of two brothers charging off to the rescue of the object of both their affections. The characters are a bit staid and archetypal, but it is a great laid back read. Fun in the way of the Dumas sagas. Would be a good summer read.
Bobbie
It's been awhile since I've read this book, but I do know that H. Rider Haggard has talent. Talent that was put to good use in this rather lovely romance. Although in the end the book did annoy me a great deal as to who got the girl, I did enjoy it.
Savannah
I think this is probably one of my favorite books of all time. The story drew me in so much, I loved the characters and the message in this book. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.
Carol
Another book free that I would never have discovered! The tale is one of valor, love and faith. A terrific read.
Joshua
I loved parts of it.....and I disliked parts of it....that's the long and short of it. :)
Hannah Simmons
This is a good book for those who like Medieval action and the Crusades.
Homer Young
Good Historical Fiction! They aren't written like this any more!
jeff101a jeff101a
One of H.R.Haggards best
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Oksana Gantukh
Oksana Gantukh marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
  • The Dragon and the Raven, or, The Days of King Alfred
  • The Hidden Hand: Or, Capitola the Madcap
  • Mother
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant, #1)
  • Shadow Hawk (Vintage Ace, 75991)
  • En Familia
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • Outcast
  • Rupert of Hentzau
  • Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #1)
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Scholastic Junior Classics)
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon...more
More about H. Rider Haggard...
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain The People of the Mist Ayesha: The Return of She