Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Brethren” as Want to Read:
The Brethren
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Read Book* *Different edition

The Brethren

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  326 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
From the sea-wall on the coast of Essex, Rosamund looked out across the ocean eastwards. To right and left, but a little behind her, like guards attending the person of their sovereign, stood her cousins, the twin brethren, Godwin and Wulf, tall and shapely men. Godwin was still as a statue, his hands folded over the hilt of the long, scabbarded sword, of which the point w ...more
Paperback, 424 pages
Published June 15th 2007 by 1st World Library (first published October 2nd 1904)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Brethren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brethren

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 611)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Pranta Ghosh Dastider

পরথমেই বলা ভালো নিখাদ পরেম কাহিনীতে আমার ঘোর অরুচি আছে, এবং হযাগারড এর পড়া উপনযাস গুলোর মধযে এটাই দবিতীয়।

দয বরেদরেন নিখাদ এক পরেম কাহিনী। হযাঁ, গলপে একশন আছে, অযাডভেঞচার আছে, কিনতু সবের গোড়াতেই ওই এক উদদেশয পরেম এবং আরও পরেম। দবিমুখী পরেম, একমুখী পরেম, তরিমুখি পরেম, পরেম আর পরেম। সতযি কথা বলতেই এই একটা কারণেই গলপটা পড়তে আগাগোড়া একটু কেমন কেমন যেন লেগেছে।

তবে হযাঁ, এই উপনযাসকে খারাপ বলা যাবেনা কোনও দিক দিয়েই। বিশেষ করে অনুবাদক ইসমাইল আরমান যথেষট ভূমিকা রেখেছেন গলপটি গরহণযোগয রূপায়নে। গলপের কয়েক জ
...more
Alicia Willis
3.5 Stars. 13+

I was warned that this book would be a love-hate relationship for me. Oh, yes. It was. There were times I was on the edge of my seat with excitements, others I was rolling my eyes and longing to hurl the book across the room.

Pros first. I liked the historical dialogue, the medieval era, and the beautiful Arabian descriptions. The Arabian customs were very fun to read about. I loved Masouda - she was my favorite character. In fact, she was what made the book worth reading, not the m
...more
Cassandra Noelle
Feb 06, 2012 Cassandra Noelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(I wrote a long review for this and then my computer crashed so this is going to be the shorter, updated version.)

I really enjoy H. Rider Haggard as an author. While Peal Maiden is my favorite of what I've read so far, I really do love Lysbeth and The Brethren as well. King Solomon's Mines has been on my to-read list for a long time.

One thing that I appreciate is the "clean" and godly stories and characters of Haggard's novels. The Brethren was no exception. The men were brave and strong and th
...more
Rafsan Jany
Jun 23, 2015 Rafsan Jany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Henry Rider Hagard's novel i've read.
This novel is about adventure, bravery, love, war. Two brave knight brothers love their cousin Rosamund. Suddenly Rosamund got kidnapped and the knights start their journey to save them!
I've enjoyed every single page of this book.
Muminur
Nov 09, 2014 Muminur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
চমৎকার একটি গলপ। ইসমাইল আরমানের অনুবাদও চমৎকার হয়েছে। এক নিঃশবাসে পড়ার মতো একটা বই। হেনরি রাইডার হযাগারডের ইতিহাস বরণনার অংশটুকু ভাল লেগেছে। অনেক লেখক মুসলমানদের বাইতুল মুকাদদাস বিজয়ের অংশটাকে নিষঠুরতা হিসেবে চিতরিত করার চেষটা করে। সযার হেনরি সেসেব কষেতরে মধযপনথা অবলমবনের চেষটা করেছেন। এটাও ভাল লেগেছে। ...more
Ishrat Rathy
Apr 11, 2013 Ishrat Rathy rated it really liked it
আমি পডেছি মূলত সেবার অনুবাদ, একটানে একনিঃশবাসে পডে ফেলার মত বই, দারুণ এডভেঞছার, পাঠক ধরে রাখার মতন শকতিশালী চুমবকের মতন আকরষণীয লেখনী...
মূলত ঐতিহাসিক সাহিতয, এবং সেই হিসেবে বিচার করলে যথারথ ও নিরমোহ ইতিহাস রচনা করেছে হযাগারড, কোন বিশেষ গোষঠীর পরতি দুরবলতার পরকাশ ঘটেনি মোটেই...

...more
Abigail Rasmussen
Set in the days of the Crusaders, this books tells of a young maiden named Rosamund, and her twin cousins. Godwin is the grey eyed thoughtful man, and Wulf is the blue eyed warrior. They are both knights of England and they are both in love with their fair cousin. But the riddle of the story is which does Rosamund love?

The adventure begins when Rosamund is taken from England and carried to the East. The plot thickens as the two young knights follow her in hopes of rescuing her from the Muslim le
...more
Annie
Ok, aside from the fact that this book is ridiculously racist (I'm not just speaking about the anti-Islam slant, which was to be expected, I'm talking about the way the characters viewed anyone with "Eastern" blood. It was really disgusting), the reason I really loathed it was because of what happened to Masouda. She was amazing; none of the other characters could even come close to the bravery, intelligence, and integrity she displayed, in my opinion. (And no, I didn't think Godwin was fit to k ...more
Ahmed Sanny
Jun 26, 2015 Ahmed Sanny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
সযার হযানরি রাইডার হযাগারড এর বই মানেই থরিলে ভরা। এটাও তেমন। সাথে ঐতিহাসিক চরিতর হিসেবে করুসেডের সময়কার মুসলিম সেনানায়ক সালাদিনকে ঘিরে কাহিনীর আবরতন যথারীতি অসাধারণ। এই ভাবে কাহিনী সাজাতে একমাতর হযাগারডই পারে। তবে সতয বলতে আমার সব চাইতে ভালো লেগেছে মূল নায়ক দুই ভাইয়ের সংগরাম চালিয়ে যাওয়া আর রহসযময়ী চরিতর মাসুদার তার পছনদকে নিছক খুশি করার জনয নিজেকে উৎসরগ করে ফেলা। বযাপারটা দাগ কাটার মতো ছিল। সব মিলিয়ে অসাধারণ। ...more
Oceaneyes12
May 18, 2014 Oceaneyes12 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
One of the best books I've ever read. The character arcs are beautiful. This is the only book I've ever read that not only has a love triangle that works, but it's also beautiful and graceful.
Leah Cossette
I read the Brethren a long time ago. It was the first Haggard book I'd ever read, and I was quickly hooked.

The Brethren takes the reader on a wild and engrossing adventure from England, through the Third Crusade, and right into Jerusalem. There are sympathetic Saracens, evil knights, heroes, cruel lords, and of course, the fair maiden Rosamund, beautifully complemented by her foil, the independent and fearless Lady Masouda.

The Brethren is more than just an adventure story or a love story; it
...more
Alan Robertshaw
Feb 09, 2013 Alan Robertshaw rated it it was amazing
Not at all like other Rider Haggards I have read. This is a bold excursion into fictionalised history, linking together the worlds of Saracen incursion and post-conquest England in a bold and engaging way. Surging, complex narrative and a convincing if wholly fictional world picture make it a wholly engaging read. The villains and heroes are polar opposites, of course - but that kind of moral absolutism suits the genre, and certainly helps the story along.
Relstuart
Mar 11, 2009 Relstuart rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Two friends and sworn brothers fall in love with the same woman. When they find out instead of falling out over her they pledge to go off to the crusades and after time come back to the issue. This book records their adventures and the results. Well done and a classic favorite.

This author was reportedly Winston Churchill's favorite fiction author. :)
Thomas Sanjurjo
May 30, 2012 Thomas Sanjurjo rated it liked it
High stepping romp through the Crusades following the travails of two brothers charging off to the rescue of the object of both their affections. The characters are a bit staid and archetypal, but it is a great laid back read. Fun in the way of the Dumas sagas. Would be a good summer read.
Bobbie
It's been awhile since I've read this book, but I do know that H. Rider Haggard has talent. Talent that was put to good use in this rather lovely romance. Although in the end the book did annoy me a great deal as to who got the girl, I did enjoy it.
Savannah
Aug 23, 2010 Savannah rated it it was amazing
I think this is probably one of my favorite books of all time. The story drew me in so much, I loved the characters and the message in this book. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.
Carol
Mar 28, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
Another book free that I would never have discovered! The tale is one of valor, love and faith. A terrific read.
Jay
Nov 25, 2015 Jay rated it liked it
This book was slow, but in the end I was glad I read it. 'twas a real tearjerker.
Joshua
Jul 22, 2014 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved parts of it.....and I disliked parts of it....that's the long and short of it. :)
Hannah Simmons
Feb 19, 2010 Hannah Simmons rated it it was amazing
This is a good book for those who like Medieval action and the Crusades.
Homer Young
Jul 01, 2013 Homer Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Historical Fiction! They aren't written like this any more!
jeff101a jeff101a
Dec 28, 2010 jeff101a jeff101a rated it really liked it
One of H.R.Haggards best
Andreja
Aug 31, 2011 Andreja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roža sveta
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Lois Taylor
Lois Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Wade Burgess
Wade Burgess rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Sanjida Alam
Sanjida Alam rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Asif Anonto
Asif Anonto rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Orlando
Orlando marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Salma Hasan
Salma Hasan rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 20 21 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Bellarion
  • Hostage Lands (Heroes & History #1)
  • The Dragon and the Raven, or, The Days of King Alfred
  • The Hidden Hand: Or, Capitola the Madcap
  • Lillian Trasher: The Greatest Wonder in Egypt
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Mother
  • The Talisman
  • Ester Ried
  • Goodbye Is Not Forever
4633123
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
...more
More about H. Rider Haggard...

Share This Book



No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »