Start by marking “An Age of Madness” as Want to Read:
An Age of Madness

An Age of Madness

Dr. Regina Moss has built herself a successful career as a psychiatrist in Boston: she enjoys a lucrative private practice, hefty consultation fees, and a reputation that inspires colleagues and patients alike. Why then, is Regina haunted by her past? Why does her own daughter barely speak to her? What’s the story with her gruff, softhearted husband Walter—and why can’t Re ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Red Hen Press

To ask other readers questions about An Age of Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Age of Madness

Diane S ☔
Feb 09, 2013 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it
When I first started this book, what really stood out was how witty the lead character, Regina, a psychiatrist, was in her thoughts. Many of which she does not speak outloud, though there are some she does. I thought from the very beginning was she was using this as a defense mechanism. See she was a psychiatrist so I was thinking in psychiatry speak. This book is very different and extremely innteresting, because it is in essence the unraveling of a psychiatrist's psyche. As the reader learns m ...more
Tami
Jul 06, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
When I started this one, I was struck by what a lousy communicator the main character - a shrink! - is. Gina Moss, who cannot have a successful conversation about the most mundane subject with her daughter, Anna. I thought, this does not bode well.

But I simultaneously recognized how good the writing is. Solid. And realized that there's got to be more here, because who creates a psychiatrist protagonist who doesn't believe in communicating unless they have a plan? So I read on.

I am very glad I d
Mitsy
Feb 20, 2013 Mitsy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All wives and mothers
Shelves: family
Larraine
Jan 07, 2013 Larraine rated it it was amazing
How do you cope when you lose your husband, and you're not sure if it was an accident or suicide? Dr. Regina Moss, a successful psychiatrist, self-avowed lousy mouth and, later, lousy doctor, is, first of all, a liar. She lies to the reader, to her daughter and to herself. We learn early on that her husband fell out of a tree house he had built. Her college age daughter, Anna, is having a hard time adjusting to college. She wants to give up economics and do something more creative. Meanwhile, Re ...more
Lori
from publisher

Read 7/31/12 - 8/1/13
5 Stars - Highly Recommended / The Next Best Book
Pgs: 293
Publisher: Red Hen Press
Release Date: Sept 1, 2012

2012 feels like the year of the grieving spouse/parent in literary fiction.

Two of my favorite reads from earlier this year remain Amelia Gray's Threats and Jac Jemc's My Only Wife. Additionally, I have just started reading Jonathan Evison's The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving, which so far has all the makings of a favorite as well. All three of these bo
Carin
Jul 08, 2013 Carin rated it really liked it
This was a tricky book. The narrator is extremely unreliable, and you don't really see that coming, as she is a psychiatrist, a profession well-respected for their honesty and ability to see things as they are and see though people's subterfuges.

I don't want to give away too much (and unlike the back cover copy, I am not going to intentionally mislead you in order to not give away a spoiler. Don't read that copy. It's bad in that you will think you're about to read a very different kind of book.
Patty
Apr 21, 2015 Patty rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Amelia
Aug 05, 2013 Amelia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have loved David Maine's writing since I first read Fallen a few years back. So, when I found out that he had a new book, I had to read it. What I loved most about An Age of Madness was the voice of the main character, Regina. She's quick and sardonic. I am always impressed when writers can so authentically write characters of opposite genders than their own. I think of Wally Lamb's Dolores in She's Come Undone. Another thing I loved about An Age of Madness was the absolutely fascinating narra ...more
Jenny
Jan 20, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
This book is fascinating. The character, a psychiatrist, reveals more and more about her painful past as she continues through her life, working with patients, meeting an attractive man, and fighting with her daughter. The secrets she keeps are astounding. I should have given it 5 stars for the gripping story alone, but Regina did annoy and frustrate me so much throughout, I removed a star for that. Dumb, but she pissed me off.
Betty Dickie
Dec 12, 2012 Betty Dickie rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. Regina Moss is a psychiatrist with an attitude. At the beginning we know she is a widow and that her college freshman daughter is difficult. But as more pieces of the puzzle fall into place it becomes a story of how much do we know about those we love, and can we ever know enough.

I don't understand why David Maine is not on everyone's best seller list, or more importantly, freakingly brilliant writer list, but he should be. The man's talent is amazing.
Tina
Aug 25, 2013 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, book-club
Maine creates a unique and intriguing perspective in the first person viewpoint of his protagonist. it can be hard to figure her out, which propels your interest in her story. At times depressing and confounding, but I like how Maine plays with memories and the different ways people so close can experience the same things.
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ marked it as wish-list
L's 5* review
Bobbi Radford
Oct 05, 2012 Bobbi Radford is currently reading it
Shelves: giveaways
I just won this book!!!!
Bonnie Brody
Jun 10, 2013 Bonnie Brody rated it it was amazing
Regina Moss is a psychiatrist with plenty of issues of her own. Her daughter, Anna, erratically speaks with her and when she does, little information about her life is forthcoming. Anna is a student at a small Vermont college and has had problems fitting in. She is majoring in economics but wants to change majors to something a bit more 'creative'.

Regina has a lot of secrets. Her son and husband died in a tragic accident. They fell (or one pushed the other) from a treehouse in their yard. Anna h
Jeff
Dec 23, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
An Age of Madness by David Maine

Regina Moss is a successful psychiatrist who is very good at getting to know, talking to and treating her patients. She is less successful in her relationship with her daughter, who has started her first year away at college, and relationships in general. She does very well helping other but really needs help in finding her own way.

I have enjoyed David Maine’s past novels which were stories taken from the Old Testament. This is totally different from his other no
Kent District Library
An Age of Madness by David Maine. “Psychiatrist—heal thyself” (and your family, and personal history, as well as all your patients in all their settings—oh—and watch out for those personal relationships!). Dr Regina Moss’ family epitomizes the cliché that psychiatrists have the most messed-up families. This author gradually reveals more and more in this layered, intriguingly well written novel about a family which literally fell apart. I’m glad to say it’s not all a downer, though. A fascinating ...more
Joan
Apr 30, 2014 Joan rated it really liked it
I read this novel as part of a reading group. We had quite a good discussion about it. The character development is great, as the detail of past events are revealed throughout the novel. The contrasts in communication skills and understanding are prominent and offered much to discuss. The hardest aspect of the book for me was the inability of Regina to understand her own life and person when that was her profession.
Anne
Oct 21, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
"...the time to properly know someone is when he, or she, is still alive."
Regina the scrappy psychiatrist prescribes Impulstill for Tourette's, Liftovec for depression, takes Acceptorals for grief as well as Blisstoril; love it. She is also very funny. Made me afraid to ever talk to a shrink again, hearing about all the things in her head.
Anna van Erven
Jun 03, 2013 Anna van Erven rated it liked it
What makes Maine's use of first person different is that, 3/4 through the book- you realize that the protagonist, the one you thought was telling you the truth, has been lying to you all this time. This book reminds me of Nabokov's Lolita, and how some narrators choose to play with their audience, pushing and pulling them between truth and lies.
Dan
Jan 27, 2013 Dan rated it it was amazing
Wow, David. Wow. I have loved each of your books in its own way, but I did not see THIS coming, not at all. I'm not sure whether to say...congratulations? thank you? hope you are ok? Maybe just: please keep it up.
Boris Feldman
Oct 09, 2013 Boris Feldman rated it it was ok
A difficult book to review. The plot is extremely clever, with twists one cannot anticipate. The writing is good, though not spectacular. The story line is dark. Very dark.
Sonja
Sep 24, 2013 Sonja rated it it was ok
A vast departure from the David Maine novels I really liked. Okay, but not something I'd have to read again or recommend to a friend.
patti Rendle
patti Rendle rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Noah Perales-Estoesta
Noah Perales-Estoesta rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
J.C.
J.C. rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Greg Rusk
Greg Rusk rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Julia Thomas-Singh
Julia Thomas-Singh rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
  • The Canvas
  • Peace by Piece
  • Banned for Life
  • Mesilla
  • Pretty is What Changes: Tough Choices, the Breast Cancer Gene, and Learning How to Live in the DNA Age
  • Fram
  • Termite Parade
  • Equal of the Sun
  • The O'Briens
  • Wherever Grace Is Needed
  • Between Here and April
I was born and raised in Connecticut but spent much of my adult life overseas, living in Morocco from 1995-98 and in Lahore, Pakistan from 1998-2008. Since 2008 I have been living and teaching in Honolulu. I began getting published in 2004, with The Preservationist, a retelling of the Noah story from Genesis. This was followed by Fallen, which reexamined the stories of Eve/Adam and Abel/Cain. In 2 ...more
More about David Maine...

“But there was also something swimming, an idea, a dream of what we were striving for and what it would look like when we got there. Then we got there, and it didn't look the same at all, somehow...Are all human beings malcontents?” 1 likes
“Whatever secrets the dead take with them, they should be allowed to keep. That's my new philosophy. Or put another way: the time to properly know someone is when he, or she, is still alive.” 1 likes