Start by marking “Past, Present, and Promises” as Want to Read:
Past, Present, and Promises

Past, Present, and Promises

Our first story is called White Shine of Appalachia. Take a journey, with our nameless narrator, through the towns of Baconton, Georgia to Rabun Gap, Georgia. Our narrator struggles with domestic violence, moonshining, and a somewhat voluptuous school teacher accused of sleeping with her husband. The ATF and DEA are hot on her husband's trail for attempted murder. She now ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by E-Booktime, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Past, Present, and Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Past, Present, and Promises

Patricia Graham
Aug 06, 2012 Patricia Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Older adults-18 years and older
Shelves: southern-fiction
Past Present and Promises is not a book for the faint hearted. It is not a book for readers that want a romanticized ideology of Appalachian Moonshiners or poverty.

Dialect plays a significant role in this book. Standarized English is not the rule, but how the language is utilized. The authors demonstrate the various dialects throughout their stories. e.g the word 'going' is used as 'gonna,' and 'nothing' is shown as 'nuthin.' In other words, dialoques in this book portray accurate portrayals of
Verna Humphrey
Aug 03, 2012 Verna Humphrey rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: southern-fiction
"Past Present and Promises" is a book which portrays women not necessarily as the victim but as the survivors. It offers so much hope and demonstrates tenacity. IT presents a very powerful image of what if...?

The dialect of Black English, is a rich language that should be preserved, and not ridiculed. "Small Town Girl" does that just that. It respects a language and culture, which is utilized in this story. The standard grammar rules of Americanized English of course does not fit with this dial
Kenneth Graham
Aug 01, 2012 Kenneth Graham rated it it was amazing
At first I didn't think I would like this book because of the violence portrayed against women. But in reality, there are women abused and domestic violence cannot be sugar-coated. Patricia and Verna provide and accurate account of women trapped in these vicious cycles. What I found intriquing was the underlying theme of hope and how women dug out from these situations.

I appreciate how the authors remained true to the regional dialects of this area. I even admire how the author of White SHine o
Mary Shipman
Jun 26, 2012 Mary Shipman rated it it was amazing
If you are a true Southerner or just a Southern wannbe, you will enjoy this collection of stories! The book is short, great for an afternoon or evening relaxing this summer. You will find that the stories touch a chord, bring back a memory, and can teach a lesson or two about life.
I liked it, I think you will too!
Diane  Brents
Jul 20, 2012 Diane Brents rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Diane by: patricia graham
this is a very wonderful book. both stories hit home for me. it was full of twists and turns and very well written. was one of the best reads ive had in a very long while.
Jeannie Walker
Aug 29, 2012 Jeannie Walker rated it really liked it
This was definitely an interesting read in more ways than one.
Everyone talks a certain way - some with perfect English - some with not so good English. I like the way the authors skillfully uses dialect in the novel.
Too often domestic violence of women is sugar-coated. It is taken more seriously now than it was in the past - and for that I am so glad as I was a woman who was abused, both physically and mentally by my spouse. I know how a woman can go to the authorities after being beaten up wit
Melanie
Aug 03, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
As a true southerner, I think both stories were fantasic! Loved them both & the use of the southern drawl makes them even better. I am looking forward to the next one!!
David
Jun 29, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
This book was definitely better than the first book. I love how different this book was from the first one.
Dorrie Berning
Jul 22, 2012 Dorrie Berning rated it really liked it
A nice Sunday afternoon, easy read. The characters are engaging and both stories grab your attention right away.
Peter Koevari
Aug 01, 2012 Peter Koevari rated it liked it
**Past, present, and promises was provided to me for an honest review.**

OVERALL RATING EXPLANATION: I rated this book 3 stars as it represents that "I liked it" although I didn't "really like it", which will translate to 4 stars on Amazon. In its current state, this is what I would rate it. If the delivery of the story was improved, it would definitely rate higher.

INTRO

This is not usually a genre that I read, but I do like to read books of all genres and read this with an open mind and a hunger
Marybeth
Marybeth rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Mohammad Saif
Mohammad Saif rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Paramdeep
Paramdeep rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2013
Mira
Mira rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Dharampal Chandani
Dharampal Chandani rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2017
Rashedjoty
Rashedjoty rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
Richard Cezar
Richard Cezar rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Carolyn Burts
Carolyn Burts rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Trish Garnett
Trish Garnett rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2016
Yasmin
Yasmin rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
Book Critique,
Book Critique, rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2013
D.L. Mackenzie
D.L. Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2012
Michelle Tumanday
Michelle Tumanday rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Amine Er-rami
Amine Er-rami rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Rowan Wiese
Rowan Wiese rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Vicki Holzknecht
Vicki Holzknecht rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Hesham
Hesham rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Laura Canning
Laura Canning rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
  • Cat and Mouse
  • Escape to Danger
  • Death Valley Scotty
  • I Talk Slower Than I Think: An Antidote to Helicopter Parenting
  • American Midnight (The Damaged Posse, #1)
  • New Yesterdays
  • Bill of Human Wrongs
  • The Gemstone
  • Falls (Samuel Branch, #1)
  • The Stolen: Two Short Stories
  • You Can Nail It
  • Redemption
Patricia Graham is a Southern Fiction writer, and she has published 4 books,all of which can be found on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Patricia currently is residing in Kingston Tenn with her husband. As you note in the logo below, Patricia is an Indie Bound author and a member of the Authors Social Media Support Group League (ASMSG). She has also been recognized by the Sigma Tau Delta Literary Jou ...more
More about Patricia H. Graham...