Start by marking “The Thunder: A Novel on John Knox” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Thunder: A Novel on John Knox
Published June 5th 2012 by P & R Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thunder

Schuyler
Aug 26, 2014 Schuyler rated it liked it
[Abridged review; full review here. ]

While The Thunder is a wonderful and detailed portrait of John Knox, it has some rather deep flaws as a novel. For one, any fictional characterizations are remarkably flat, and rather pointless to the developing of John Knox's life. George is known for bugging out his eyes and getting sick to his stomach on the least provocation, and Francis I knew even less about--besides the fact that he liked to dig his fingers into his brother's arm to keep him in line. G
Peter
Nov 20, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
This was my first 'historical novel' and it was really good. I think my issues with it have more to do with what must be the 'besetting sins' of the genre. In any case, this tale ended stronger than it began and that erased some of the bad tastes in my mouth. The highest praise I can give it is that it compelled my emotions to admire and praise God for John Knox, and the things he accomplished in Reformation Scotland. It also gave a corrective to my perception of Knox as a strapping, bullnecked, ...more
Christian
Jun 11, 2013 Christian rated it it was amazing
Douglas Bond is my number one favorite historical fiction author. [My second favorite would probably be H. Rider Haggard, author of "King Solomon's Mines" and "Pearl Maiden."]

Anything Bond writes is excellent and I'd highly recommend.
Kathryn
Apr 13, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A great novelized summary of the life of John Knox. Great for middle schoolers and up. The life and times of this reformer reminds the reader of the importance of contending for the faith.
Annette
Jan 04, 2016 Annette rated it really liked it
The story is told by a young follower resolved to protect John Knox (1514-1572) – Scottish clergyman and leader of Protestant Reformation. It already starts with Knox as being a wanted man. As he was caught up in events that involved the murder of Cardinal Beaton in 1546 and intervention of the Queen Regent. He is besieged in a castle by French soldiers. They lose the battle with the French forces and are taken as galley slaves. After hard labor and anchoring at Seine and Loire River, in 1549 th ...more
Joli
Jul 01, 2015 Joli rated it really liked it
Excellent book on John Knox, cleverly presented. I enjoyed the references to places I was recently able to visit in Scotland.
Allison Hawbaker
It was good but it took me a long time to get interested in the story. I think I was comparing it too much to The Betrayal, and the main characters story in that book is much more intense and interesting.

Once I got to the second half I did begin to find it more interesting but I felt there needed to me one more chapter or at least a paragraph to wrap up my last question/frustration with the main character.
Brian
Jul 22, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Douglas Bond's novelization of the life of Protestant Reformer John Knox is historically accurate (he really knows his history) but its weakness is in the pacing and characterization that a novelist would bring.A fascinating life bloodlessly told. ...more
Frode
Sep 03, 2012 Frode rated it liked it
Not his best novel, but it was a good one by D. Bond. It contains lots of Reformed theology, but that was John Knox. The story line seems a bit strained. The history is accurate.
Stephen Hobson
nice quick read, good historical novel
Scott Vickers
Scott Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Brad Luse
Brad Luse marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Julie Hammond
Julie Hammond marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Bekah Adams
Bekah Adams marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Filipe Castelo Branco
Filipe Castelo Branco rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Ben Wanamaker
Ben Wanamaker marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Laura rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Audra
Audra rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
John Van
John Van marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Gianni
Gianni marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Aden
Aden rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Sarah Knox
Sarah Knox rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Samuel Gregg
Samuel Gregg marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Calvin Platt
Calvin Platt rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2015
Justus Platt
Justus Platt rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Gabriel Barnes
Gabriel Barnes rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Danae
Danae rated it really liked it
May 08, 2015
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Douglas Bond, author of fifteen books, lives with his wife and six children in Washington State. He is a ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), teaches English and history at Covenant High School, and was awarded the regional Teacher Award for teaching young people how to write. He lectures on literature and Church history and leads study tours in Europe.
More about Douglas Bond...