Start by marking “Symbol & Archetype: A Study of the Meaning of Existence” as Want to Read:
Symbol & Archetype: A Study of the Meaning of Existence

Symbol & Archetype: A Study of the Meaning of Existence

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Every religious tradition or metaphysical worldview involves a system of powerful symbols, most of which bear common meanings across cultures, continents, and time. This volume, complete with a 9th century Quranicmanuscript,explores the significance of the most recurrent symbols and archetypes in human history and elaborates a compelling theory for why symbolism plays such ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Fons Vitae (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Symbol & Archetype, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Symbol & Archetype

Tim
Over the past year or so, maybe longer, it seems that books come to my attention exactly when they’re supposed to. Perhaps it’s simply the way I’m digesting material right now, I don’t know. I do know that it’s becoming more difficult to write about reflections on many of my readings as what I put down never seems to adequately convey what I’m feeling or seeing. And that is all these “reviews” are: reflections.

“The language of symbolism is universal” (77) says Martin Lings. In my own progressio
Dina Kaidir
"A man should therefore understand," (symbols), "not only because he has to live in the herebelow but also above all because without such understanding he would fail to understand himself..."

It is less about assigning or imposing meaning, it is more about being open to what is revealed to us, as affirmed in the Qur'an, "We shall show them Our signs on the horizons and in themselves." [XLI:53]

Eloquent and succinct. His books are always thin but rich and complete in content. One of my favorite aut
Sheryar Durrani
Sheryar Durrani marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Orkun Osman
Orkun Osman marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Forlyse
Forlyse marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
-_-_-_-_-_-_-
-_-_-_-_-_-_- marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
James Gilroy
James Gilroy marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Ceri Davies
Ceri Davies marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Yashima Owen-douglas
Yashima Owen-douglas marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Dan Söderlund
Dan Söderlund marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Leisa
Leisa marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Sadiq
Sadiq marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
G Hasan
G Hasan marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Hatem Aly
Hatem Aly marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Simon Timea
Simon Timea marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Aditya I.P.
Aditya I.P. marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Hamza Thage
Hamza Thage marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Hamza
Hamza marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Majd
Majd marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Rita Reid
Rita Reid marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Quratulain
Quratulain marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Imraan
Imraan is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2015
Dr. Maximus
Dr. Maximus marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Garrett Cash
Garrett Cash marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Mohsin Ali
Mohsin Ali marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Maryam Kd
Maryam Kd marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Azadeh sharifi
Azadeh sharifi marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Davoud Taghavi
Davoud Taghavi marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Ephemeral_girl
Ephemeral_girl marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Martin Lings was an English writer and scholar, a student and follower of Frithjof Schuon, and Shakespearean scholar. He is best known as the author of a very popular and positively reviewed biography, Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources, first published in 1983 and still in print.

Lings was born in Burnage, Manchester in 1909 to a Protestant family. The young Lings gained an introduct
More about Martin Lings...
Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources What is Sufism? A Sufi Saint of the Twentieth Century: Shaikh Ahmad al-Alawi A Return to the Spirit: Questions and Answers Splendours of Qur'an Calligraphy and Illumination