A Brief Guide to Star Trek

A Brief Guide to Star Trek

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The 'Star Trek' franchise continues to have cultural, social and political resonance around the world. In this book Brian J. Robb charts the rise of the show and explores its impact on our culture.
Published April 1st 2012 by Robinson Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Brief Guide to Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brief Guide to Star Trek

Annette
To be honest - I am a bit dissapointed by this book. Even though there is a lot of interessting information on who was involved in the ongoing Star Trek creative process and how the whole idea evolved, it leaves a very bitter aftertaste.
Yes, of course, the TV business is not all jolly and happy and the maker of a hero-show don't have to be heros themselves - but the whole tone of the book and its judgement on all Start Trek TV shows is quite hard. The only thing that seems to be good is the new...more
Alex Gregory
As far as Trek primers go, you could do a hell of a lot worse than this.

Brian Robb's "A Brief Guide to Star Trek" is a short, breezy read that takes you through the various stages of Trek's lifecycle, encompassing short chapters on each of the series, Gene Roddenberry's life and career beyond the series, the various film series and a summary at the end.

There's some good information here, albeit in a tone that assumes readers want to get into the minutiae of why certain actors hated starring in t...more
Jemma
This is that rarest of things, a thoughtful history of science fiction. Naturally, there is the story of how Roddenberry created Star Trek but the contributions of many others, including D C Fontana and Gene L Coon, are detailed too. No longer will Star Trek seem one man's vision but a team effort, which makes more sense. Plus, this makes it easier to accept Roddenberry's flaws (e.g. womanising, embellishing the truth, needing adulation and latterly health problems) as he is not entirely to than...more
Sho
This was 99cents as a Kindle Deal of the Day so in trying it I didn't think I had anything to lose.

Now I like Star Trek. Probably a lot more than the next person. But not enough to call myself a real Trekkie, although I do know the odd-even rule of Star Trek - Original Cast - films*. Funnily enough for a book written by someone who is very clearly a fan not only of Star Trek but also of the trivia that surrounds it, this rule didn't get a mention.

The book is nicely laid out with a section (chapt...more
Paul Lunger
On September 8, 1966, "Star Trek" premiered on NBC to some fanfare & after a lot of work on the part of Gene Roddenberry. 46 years, 11 (to be 12) films, 5 spin off series & hundreds of books later the phenomenon that begin that night has taken on a life of its own. Brian J. Robb explores the history of the Star Trek the series across all the ups & downs from the background of Gene Roddenberry to the struggles to get the first pilot & eventually the second one on the air to the mo...more
Molly
I really, really do love Star Trek.

If you've ever seen my facebook or my twitter, it's made obvious, there are references everywhere. I was first properly hooked into the voyages of the Starship Enterprise in 2009, when J.J Abrams' reboot came about, and that was because 13 year old me had the BIGGEST crush on Chris Pine (not that anything has changed...).
And from then on, I was hooked. Star Trek's reboot was great, but the original series? Just wow. Everything about the Star Trek universe fasci...more
Timothy
A good read for anyone interested in Star Trek. Especially interesting are the revelations of stories that went unmade and alternative casting ideas.
Robert Greenberger
I waited until some time had passed since completing my own history to check out Brian's take. Thankfully, our approaches to the source material is different enough readers can enjoy both this year without worrying too much about duplication. His is a more analytical approach while mine is a combination of nuts & bolts and the entire fan side. Brian's was a fine, enjoyable read that heklped put some things into a nice perspective. Well worth a look.
Kevin de Ataíde
Pictureless and uncompelling description of the politics and economics of the famous Star Trek series of films and television shows. Three stars for getting me from cover to cover.
Chris Hinchley
A good condensed and critical overview of the whole franchise. Some well-worn production tales I had long forgotten alongside fresh anecdotes and perspectives made this a surprisingly enjoyable read when i really thought I had already read/seen it all.
Nicholas
A wealth of information on every incarnation of Star Trek marred by repetitions and an underlying sense of meanness. I almost got the sense that the author did not really like Star Trek in general and Gene Roddenberry in particular.
Rafael Faria
Rafael Faria is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2014
Willian Busch
Willian Busch is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2014
Paul
Paul added it
Jan 25, 2014
Sven
Sven marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Gonzalo j. Bojalil
Gonzalo j. Bojalil marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
12042
Currently Managing Editor at Titan Magazines, a publisher of film and TV related titles. He is Editor-in-Chief of the Official Star Wars Insider Magazine, and oversees magazines for Lost, Stargate, Smallville, Star Trek and Supernatural, as well as being Managing Editor on Total Sci Fi, an international cult film and television web site.
More about Brian J. Robb...
Johnny Depp: A Modern Rebel Heath Ledger: Hollywood's Dark Star Steampunk: An Illustrated History of Fantastical Fiction, Fanciful Film and Other Victorian Visions River Phoenix: A Short Life Timeless Adventures: How Doctor Who Conquered TV