The Tragic Sense of Life in Men and Nations

The Tragic Sense of Life in Men and Nations

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  570 ratings  ·  41 reviews

The acknowledged masterpiece of Unamuno expresses the anguish of modern man as he is caught up in the struggle between the dictates of reason and the demands of his own heart.
Published June 21st 1978 by Princeton University Press (first published 1913)

§--
May 05, 2011 §-- rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: atheists and agnostics
Shelves: philosophy
The first half (until he warns you that he's about to go off the deep end) is one of the best books I've ever read. The second half is almost postmodern in its imbecility.

Heretical, placed on the Index of Prohibited Books, but still an exhilirating read by a powerful writer whose mind was fixed only on the most important questions--that of God and of death.

Unamuno is classed with the Generation of 98, but I think he is spiritually closer to the postwar existentialists, Camus, Sartre, and Heidegg...more
sohrab
ویلیام برات درد جاودانگی را (تغزل فلسفی شگرف) نامیده است. زبان فلسفه زبانی است غامض، آکنده از اصطلاحات فنی و دیریاب. اما پای تغزل که به میان می آید، شور و سرود و سرمستی سر بر می آورد.
اونامونو برای جلوه گر ساختن این تغزل شگرف از واژگانی استفاده کرده است که همچون باران و شکوفه های بهاران پر از طراوت است. درد جاودانگی در اصل مبحث غامض فلسفی است، ولی این مبحث غامض با همت طلبی شکسپیر و دانته و میلتون و مولفان عهد جدید و در آمیختن قول و غزل آنها با درد اشتیاقی که از سینه شرحه شرحه از فراق بر می خیزد،...more
Amene
دردی که درد همه ی انسان هاست!
Heather Smith
Unamuno's contention is that man's hunger for personal immortality is central and ineradicable. All religion and culture stems from our stark awareness of our mortality and our need for immortality. From man's heart he builds hope in an eternal, because he instinctively hungers for personal immortality. Yet man's reason convinces him there can be no immortality, thus feeling and reason -- heart and head -- are in everlasting deadlock. For Unamuno, all attempts to resolve this deadlock are futile...more
Bruce W.
This books just reaffirmed my appreciation of Miguel de Unamuno's writing. I read some of de Unamuno's work while in grad school and greatly enjoyed it, and this text was just as pleasurable a read as his fictional works. In this text, de Unamuno examines the "tragic sense of life," the sense of our mortality and its impulse toward our desire for immortality. He sees behind this tragic sense the motivation for much of human thought.

This text is rather dense with frequent references to philosophe...more
Jimmy
Unamuno's defense of blind faith is, well, indefensible. He is a follower of the Tertullian creed: Credo quia Absurdum, or I believe because it is absurd. Because of our hunger for immortality, we create a god who gives a conscience to the universe and allows us to feel we have meaning. I prefer the courage of facing up to the truth of our mortality.

Unamuno prefers man as a feeling animal rather than a reasoning animal. I prefer the latter. Unamuno prefers to discuss "by metaphor." He ignores o...more
Sam
While I do feel a bit bad about giving this book only one star, it really was not for me. I was hoping for something a bit more balanced, looking at the differences between religious and scientific views and how these two things have influenced the thinking of mankind. Granted this was written in the 14th Century but I always had the impression that philosphers could take a much wider view than the generally accepted views of the time. There were moments of superb insight which a more philsophic...more
Levan Tsutskiridze
Unamuno's approach to accept the inability to rationalize everything, especially the most important issues of life and death and to give this desire of immortality a freer reign is interesting as well as coragous. He renders this struggle of reason and of will or of religion as the whole essence of life - tragic sense of life - masterfully. I like his take of human society, or of a civil society as an expression of men's desire of immortality, his talk of the civil service also. His conclusion o...more
Javier
I really wanted to like this book. I ended up despising most of it--Unamuno's insistence on the need for faith in God is highly offensive. I would say, though, that some of the chapters ("Love, Suffering, and Pity" and "Faith, Hope, and Charity") contained a lot of excellent points regarding love, suffering, death, etc., that did not necessitate his theistic bent. I also think, though, that some of what he says in the context of belief in God can be divorced from the religious ethic and applied...more
Laurel
actually a book of philosophy with some true humanity, whether or not you agree with all
of his points. the eternal conflict between head and heart... an applicable topic for all of
us layman philosophers. in that sense: highly practical for daily life, but certainly not
practical in the sense of mundane. very accessible, as well. you can read this even if you
don't have to for a class (unlike whitehead, for example)! i kinda think it's necessary
reading.
Hannah
Jul 10, 2012 Hannah marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure this guy has some great insights but I just can't get past his writing style. It just seems...arrogant. Most of the time I found myself re-reading the same paragraph over and over again. I've attempted to finish this book twice now and I find myself avoiding my stack of books because I dread it so much. So forget it. Life is too short to have to try so hard to like someone else's writing styles.
علی
هیچ نمی دانم چرا این اثر شگرف فیلسوف اسپانیایی را آقای بهاء الدین خرمشاهی به "درد جاودانگی" ترجمه کرده است! اگرچه فصلی از کتاب به نام "عطش جاودانگی" ست و روی هم رفته میل به جاودانه بودن در انسان، در برخی از فصل های کتاب وصف می شود. با این همه و به گمان من "حس دردناک زندگی" با "درد جاودانگی" تفاوت هایی دارد!
yaser mirzaee
مقدمه و فصل اول کتاب اوج کتاب است. کتاب فوق‌العاده ای است ولی به نظرم رسید که هی دارد تکرار می‌کند حرفش را. نتوانستم تمامش کنم. از یک‌جایی به بعد برایم تکراری بود. البته شاید هم دلیلش این بود که ایده‌ی اونامونو را قبول نداشتم.
Ahmad
تو بر پای خود مثل انسان، نه مانند حیوان بی دست و پا، مثل سرو و صنوبر، به پا ایستادی و مردی. اونامونو
Farid
ترجمه بهاءالدین خرمشاهی
پشت پا به هر فلسفه ای زده و عشق را تنها راه نجات و بقای بشر میداند...
Rachel
His stance:

"For my part I do not want to make peace between my heart and my head, between my faith and my reason; I prefer that they be at war. [...] My purpose is to war on all those who submit, whether to Catholicism, or to rationalism, or to agnosticism. My aim is to make all men live a life of restless longing."

His thesis:

"If annihilation must be our portion, let us act in such a way that we make it an unjust portion; let us fight against destiny, even without hope of victory; let us fight...more
Greg
I approached this book because it had been referenced many times in other works on the subject of "Tragic Vision" or "Tragic Sense of Life". The book is interesting. It is a poet doing philosophy and does not read like a typical work of philosophy. In fact it directly challenges what is knowable by rational means. The book is fascinating in that the author constructs a nearly entire theological and ethical system on one simple postulate: a universal instinct to self-preservation. The Tragic Sens...more
Audrey
Este tratado trata de lo mismo como todos las escrituras de Unamuno, pero a mí me gusta más en forma de ficción o de poesía. Mientras leía este libro, sentí muchas veces como si estaba leyendo el mismo ensayo una y otra vez, pero con diferentes ejemplos. Unamuno está verdaderamente obsesionado. Reacciona, como la mayoría de la gente, por hablar constantemente de la misma cosa y concluir siempre con las mismas respuestas. La diferencia es que la mayoría de la gente no publica sus divagaciones com...more
Hafidha
Read this years ago, am re-reading it now, and seeing how much it influenced my stance on life. I always knew it was very influential in my thinking, but didn't realize how much so. Really enjoying re-reading this. I loved Unamuno's work so much I went to the town he lived in in Spain and visited some of his old haunts, just to pay homage to the man and walk down the same cobbled streets he walked daily. Should add: do I agree with every conclusion he came to? No, but I love his vigor and I do a...more
Ed
Dense thought and deep... spoke to me when I read it 20 years ago.
Lukas Kain
Jun 03, 2008 Lukas Kain rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: arm-chair philosophers
Recommended to Lukas by: myself
Out of all the philosophy material I've read (which is honestly, very little), this one is definitely the best. Unamuno basically walks you through the basics of philosophy, touching on all the major minds that came before him in the field, while obviously giving his own insight into all kinds of life quandaries. Delicious.
Pepa Hernández
Hace justo 100 años que escribió este libro. Aunque no estoy totslmente de acuerdo con su pensamiento. He disfrutado profundamente con su lectura y por momentos me parece estar escuchando a una persona que reflexiona por el momento actual. Muy enriquecedor.
Behnamprime
kheili ketabe khiibie.
esme 2roste nevisande Miguel de Unamono hastesh ke gooya eshtebah type shode.
axe rooye jeldesh ro lotfan ezafe konin
fek konam age inja search konin mitoonin gir biarin axe jeld o entesharat o ....
Bill
One of the best accountings of faith I've ever read. This is not Christian apologetics. It is an attack on religious certainty that substitutes for faith. As he says:
"Life is doubt, And faith without doubt is nothing but death"
Loren Michan
De los mejores libros que he leído
Ron Tuohy
Been quite a number of years since I read this. If I recall, the bulk of it is a critique of Christianity and religious belief. But then the ending is "oh well, but ya gotta have faith" Odd.
Brent Ranalli
This book spoke profoundly to me when I read it in my student days. But I recall that the final chapter fell flat, and based on other reviews I'm reading here I guess it wasn't just me.
Letitia
Though Unamuno does not make it to the ranks of commonly read philosophers, his speculation of existence is truly mind-bending. A good read in conjunction with Descartes.
Richard Anderson
Beautiful, but not consoling, if that's what you're looking for. Remember, U was an early convert to Francoism, although at his death he repudiated both sides.
Guillermo
Dec 31, 2012 Guillermo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I read this a while back because of Hemingway, but I can't remember exactly what I read or if I finished it...i'll write more after I read it again--sorry guys.
  • Culture and Value
  • Confessions of a Philosopher: A Personal Journey Through Western Philosophy from Plato to Popper
  • An Essay on Man: An Introduction to a Philosophy of Human Culture
  • Totality and Infinity:  An Essay on Exteriority
  • The Trouble With Being Born
  • Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature
  • Philosophical Hermeneutics
  • Irrational Man: A Study in Existential Philosophy
  • The Basic Problems of Phenomenology (Studies in Phenomenology & Existential Philosophy)
  • Personal Knowledge
  • Cartesian Meditations: An Introduction to Phenomenology
  • A History of Philosophy 2: Medieval Philosophy
  • The Sense of Beauty
  • New Science
  • Works of Love (Kierkegaard's Writings, Volume 16)
  • Time and Free Will
  • Monadology
  • Sources of the Self: The Making of the Modern Identity
Miguel de Unamuno was born in the medieval centre of Bilbao, Basque Country, the son of Félix de Unamuno and Salomé Jugo. As a young man, he was interested in the Basque language, and competed for a teaching position in the Instituto de Bilbao, against Sabino Arana. The contest was finally won by the Basque scholar Resurrección María de Azcue.

Unamuno worked in all major genres: the essay, the nove...more
More about Miguel de Unamuno...
Niebla San Manuel Bueno, Mártir La tía Tula Abel Sánchez Abel Sanchez and Other Stories

“Man is said to be a reasoning animal. I do not know why he has not been defined as an affective or feeling animal. Perhaps that which differentiates him from other animals is feeling rather than reason. More often I have seen a cat reason than laugh or weep. Perhaps it weeps or laughs inwardly — but then perhaps, also inwardly, the crab resolves equations of the second degree.” 16 likes
“And usually [the philosopher] philosophizes either in order to resign himself to life, or to seek some finality in it, or to distract himself and forget his griefs, or for pastime and amusement.” 8 likes