Start by marking “Rex Mundi Omnibus, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Rex Mundi Omnibus, Vol. 1

Rex Mundi Omnibus, Vol. 1

Paris, 1933. Europe is still in the grip of feudalism, sorcerers stalk the streets at night, and secret societies vie for power. When a medieval scroll disappears from a Paris church, Dr. Julien Sauniere begins uncovering a series of horrific ritual murders connected to the Catholic Church. His investigation turns into a one-man quest to uncover the deepest secrets of ...more
Published September 18th 2012 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Rex Mundi Omnibus, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rex Mundi Omnibus, Vol. 1

C. Derick
Feb 09, 2016 C. Derick rated it it was amazing
Arvid Nelson really achieved something very particularly with Rex Mundi. By exploring the ideas of books like "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" and "The Da Vinci Code" in more engaging manner, grounded in more history, but setting it in a Europe where Napoleon utterly failed, the Bourbons sit on the throne, and thus the nationalist movements of Europe never emerged to shape the course of the early 20th century. Thus many medieval institutions are allowed to develop in conjunction with modern technology. ...more
Kat
Nov 20, 2016 Kat rated it really liked it
I wouldn't have passed this up. The art and intrigue got me observing the details. I did at first but tended to skip to the more interesting parts. I prefer relaxed reading so I couldn't read the portions (such as the historical flashbacks, newspaper pages) that made this graphic novel somewhat encyclopedic.

But that's why it's also so impressive, the research the team put into this. Ok so I saw Da Vinci Code (film) first. But there are still many new ingredients.

But I think I've had a fair amo
J.
Sep 13, 2014 J. rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
While situated squarely in the middle of the DaVinci Code / National Treasure craze, there are still a lot of things this series does well. It's got an interesting setting: alternate history 1930ish Paris, where Feudalism and the Catholic Church hold sway. It's got a nice build, and plenty of mysteries going. It's hampered by an artist for 14 issues that clearly puts a lot of effort into his work, but many panels still look awkward: torsos are crazy long, arms are weirdly small, all kinds of ...more
Carrie Mansfield
Oct 09, 2012 Carrie Mansfield rated it it was amazing
This was recommended to me at my local comic shop: the series was never a huge commercial success, but it developed a cult following and it's easy to see why.

It's an intriguing alternate history where the monarchies in Europe never fell and America never managed to come together after the Civil War. The author spent a lot of time world building and it shows. There is a ton of detail here - maybe too much as it does occasionally get bogged down, but for the most part you won't care because everyt
T
Aug 08, 2015 T rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of the Rex Mundi series. The story is really engrossing; despite not being a big comic book reader, I found myself drawn into the evocative atmosphere of alternate history Europe that the author has created. I think this graphic novel will appeal to readers who are looking for something more sophisticated and thoughtful than the average comic book. If you like Watchmen, for example, this should be up your alley too. And it's a must read for anyone into mystery and historical ...more
Rick
Jan 05, 2013 Rick rated it really liked it
Don't dig into this unless you enjoy alt-history. Keeping track of the deviations from actual history is fun, but could be tedious for some. I liked that this was a long-arc mystery (and the 500-ish pages of this book is only the first half of the story), but since it is divided into two separate omnibus volumes, this first volume ends at a somewhat climactic point very abruptly. You really need the second volume for the full story (which I'm waiting to get my hands on).
Marc Bryant
Jul 08, 2015 Marc Bryant rated it it was amazing
Not only is Rex Mundi a beautiful, well researched and riveting epic; the dedication of Arvid Nelson and his collaborators is infectious in all the best ways. I always put the book down feeling more inspired and a little smarter than when I picked it up. I count few comics as re-readable (Gerber's Howard the Duck, Nexus, Outlaw Nation, American Flagg!, Hellboy) and Rex Mundi is one of the best. Do yourself a favor; binge Rex Mundi soon.
Graham Ford
Jul 21, 2015 Graham Ford rated it it was amazing
Rex Mundi it quite simply one of the best graphic novels I have read in a long time, I was immediately hooked on the storyline which had a definite holy blood, holy grail influence and feel to it. The story has so many twists and turns it's unbelievable. Beautifully written and illustrated, the story is just so intriguing I just couldn't put it down and the best part of 600 pages just flew over. Without a doubt 10/10 from me.
David Press
Jul 04, 2015 David Press rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This is by far the best Holy Grail story I've ever read. Arvid Nelson meticulously researched this, developed, and executed one of the most intriguing, bright murder-mysteries I've ever read. This book is an all-time classic.
Paul Vega
Dec 29, 2013 Paul Vega rated it it was amazing
The art is breathtakingly beautiful, and the storyline is captivating to say the least. Though some of the dialogue strays from the overall tone in my opinion, it isn't too much of an issue to warrant one star less than what it deserves.
James
Feb 23, 2013 James rated it did not like it
Full review on HorrorTalk.com: http://www.horrortalk.com/comic-revie...
Elliot
Jul 28, 2015 Elliot rated it it was amazing
A creative blend of noir and fantasy. It starts with a murder mystery which turns into a larger sort of conspiracy. The suspense and gradual investigation are intriguing. The ending is epic!
Scott C
I like occult conspiracy stories, and Rex Mundi is a little gem of a comic. Well worth checking out.
Steven Schreier
May 04, 2014 Steven Schreier rated it really liked it
Would have rated 5 but the change up of artists was annoying. The story that begged to be told - the secret history of Jesus's progeny and the madmen he sired ( or something like that).
Albert
Aug 14, 2014 Albert rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Intriguing storyline for a religious conspiracy noir. The art is too static; the changes of artists in the end did not help either.
Andy
Jul 05, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it
Very intricate. A little staged, but I will hold off on my full review until after reading volume 2
Kenny Niemeyer
Kenny Niemeyer rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2013
Ae
Ae rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Philip Blyth
Philip Blyth rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Hillary Major
Hillary Major rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Alan Hartwell
Alan Hartwell rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2014
Gareth
Gareth rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Jeremy Spaulding
Jeremy Spaulding rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2012
L
L rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Yeahvar
Yeahvar rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Joel
Joel rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Arvid Nelson is an American comic book writer, best known for the Rex Mundi series.
More about Arvid Nelson...