Start by marking “Grendel Omnibus, Vol. 1: Hunter Rose” as Want to Read:
Grendel Omnibus, Vol. 1: Hunter Rose

Grendel Omnibus, Vol. 1: Hunter Rose (Grendel)

Matt Wagner's masterpiece celebrates its thirtieth anniversary with the first-ever comprehensive collection of the complete Grendelsaga! The first of four volumes presenting the entire series and following the chronology of the stories, this edition introduces millionaire Hunter Rose and his alter ego, the criminal mastermind Grendel!

Volume 1 reprints Grendel: Devil by the
Published August 21st 2012 by Dark Horse Books (first published July 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Grendel Omnibus, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grendel Omnibus, Vol. 1

Erik
Jan 17, 2013 Erik rated it it was amazing
Matt Wagner created a world for “Grendel” that is brutal, violent, tragic and sad. It’s also home to some of the best comic book stories ever created. “Grendel Omnibus Volume 1: Hunter Rose” is as close to perfect a collection as you can get, in my humble opinion. It deserves a 10 out of 10.

Commemorating the 30th Anniversary of the creation of Hunter Rose, this is a comprehensive collection of all the iconic arch-criminal’s tales, presented as chronologically as possible. (After the death of thi
Robert
Jan 28, 2015 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I honestly didn't think I was going to enjoy "Grendel." Flipping through the first few pages, it looked, sounded, and felt too much like a Frank Miller knockoff- and I , as a rule, hate Frank Miller. The only reason I picked it up in the first olace because I saw a crossover series at my local comic book shop, pitting Grendel against The Shadow- and I, as a rule, love The Shadow.

And then, I started actually reading Grendel.

It's a slow burn of a read, but once it really gets going, it's very har
Martin
Oct 11, 2014 Martin rated it really liked it
This one was a true find for me, as I had no prior exposure to Grendel. Black & white stories (with a little-to-a lot of red thrown in) all revolving around the first Grendel, Hunter Rose. Most of the stories included are only 8 pages long, and told in a non-chronological order, but together they make for quite an entertaining epic.

What I like the most about this book is that, while Matt Wagner wrote all the stories, the art itself is supplied by more than 40 (Forty!) artists. Some of them
Fred Tred
Feb 16, 2013 Fred Tred rated it it was ok
The only thing saving this is the artwork, which is phenomenally done by a ton of different artists (even wagner's is great.)

However, it all reeks of self-indulgence. First of all, using "devil" in EVERY title is kind of ridiculous. Secondly, the writing is shoddy and second-rate. There is no coherent storyline here- and if there is I don't care about it. Wagner touches on Hunter's niece, who does have an interesting side, but the rest of it revolves around grendel quickly killing mob bosses, va
J.
May 21, 2014 J. rated it liked it
Grendel is a fascinating thing in and of itself, in terms of publication over a long time, with lots of collaborators, and so on. And notoriously hard to follow. So it's very nice to finally see some reasonable collections. Unfortunately, the stories in this volume, although written over many years, get a little tedious when you read them all together. The art is beautiful throughout, and there's a ton of different artists here, but at some point I got tired of reading various versions of the sa ...more
Michael
Aug 19, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
One of the best collected editions I have ever read. The Grendel Omnibus tells the story of Grendel, but not in a traditional way. Instead, comics and illustrated short stories (sometimes both combined) tell the story of Hunter Rose.

A little more than half of the book is drawn by Matt Wagner. The rest feature other artists' interpretations of Grendel's story. There are some real gems here. With the exception of the badly drawn and written urban story (gangstas, please), they all add to Grendel's
C. Derick
Aug 10, 2015 C. Derick rated it it was amazing
Grendel Omnibus volume one covers the "Hunter Rose" cycle of Grendel's run, and the story telling is interesting. Often the reader gets fragments of the characters or events but they slowly add up to the narrative that is already set up in the first Grendel tales. The artwork varies as Grendel had many artists, but the variance in technique really allows for dramatic irony and long term stories to built even if an individual story is just a pages and at first read seemingly slight. Yes, sometime ...more
Sherlock Holmes
Sep 06, 2012 Sherlock Holmes rated it really liked it

This was a really awesome comic with beautifully interwoven and intricate short narratives that combined to form the over arching story. I'm a fan of Wagner's work and this definitely did not disappoint me. The talented artists included in this omnibus is both comprehensive and amazing. My one pet peeve? A couple of the stories portray Jocasta Rose as a delicate and tragic flower when the fact is that she's a manipulative jerk who preyed on an adolescent boy and basically fucked up his entire l
Keith
Nov 19, 2016 Keith rated it liked it
Hunter Rose is just about the only part of the Grendel saga I've ever had real investment in -- other than him, I think that Wagner's approach to a character that, over centuries, eventually becomes a societal ethos is an incredibly interesting concept, but the execution has always seemed pretty bland.

But I was pretty excited to read all the Hunter Rose stories in one place, seeing as they were originally published sporadically, and out of order, over the course of several decades. The omnibus d
Steve
The first volume of the stories of Matt Wagner's Grendel presented in chronological order tells the story of his original creation, Hunter Rose, mysterious millionaire by day and expert assassin and criminal mastermind by night. The stories in this book pull in the entirety of the mythology that develops around the Grendel persona and shows the origin of the devil that inspired generations of characters to follow. Familiar superhero comic elements: extraordinary abilities, secret identities, you ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 01, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Devil by the Deed. I always find this comic hard to dive into because it’s so wordy. However, it’s a terrific noir story with great characters and weird twists, and the artwork underlying it all is beautiful [8/10].

Black, White & Red. These shorts start off pretty interesting, and there are some great stories throughout. "Devil's Requiem", with its focus on Jocasta is strong; while "Devil's in the Punctuation" is great for its look at Hunter's work. Both "Devil's Garden" and "Devil's Cage" a
Adelaide Metzger
Really 2.5 out of 5 stars and I’ll explain.

Pros:
--The art in each issue is so freaking beautiful! I could eat up that art ALL day.
--Even though Grendel is one of a kind (character as well as story), it does hold a faint essence of Batman along with a taste of V for Vendetta--but I only say that because Grendel/Hunter Rose is deadly but still sophisticated like V. But it really is impossible to compare.
--Some of the stories in here I just ADORED! Really beautiful pieces of visual craft and stor
Kenisha
Dec 31, 2012 Kenisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This omnibus begins with a fairly comprehensive accounting of the exploits of Grendel, a mysterious figure who displays an almost preternatural degree of cunning, agility, and bloodthirstiness. It covers his dealings and death in a report-like manner, setting up the rest of the book, which goes back and shoes clips and snips of his life and formative events in greater detail.

In reality, Grendel is none other than Hunter Rose, a man who rose to fame on the backs of his literary masterpieces. The
Ryan
Jun 07, 2013 Ryan rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful piece of art. It's dark, it's bloody, it's dark, but it's also one of the oldest tales out there, one that is presented in an interesting way and which has a lot to say about the seductive, but ultimately destructive, power of anger and aggression.

The stories in this collection are all well-written, but the real star is the artwork. Wagner managed to collaborate with some of the greatest artists in the medium, and allow them to tell stories that not only allow them to dis
Jeffrey
Aug 06, 2013 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Grendel is a legendary comic book series and a fascinating experimental storytelling project. It transcends the typical view of "comic books" in the way that creator Matt Wagner told many of its stories non-sequentially, working with many artists and adopting many literary voices and styles. Seeing all the stories about the first "Grendel" in a single volume assembled more-or-less chronologically is a GREAT way to get into Grendel, and may actually make a lot of things make more sense for even l ...more
Dan Pfeiffer
Sep 21, 2014 Dan Pfeiffer rated it it was amazing
This book can be viewed in 2 parts. The first is a series of interpretative vignettes that expand on the origin story and episodic arcs of Grendel and his alter ego, the author Hunter Rose. The second is a more cohesive narrative explaining the how the future of the Grendel persona may come to be. The artists and thus artwork styles often change and it's pure gorgeous noir. The book as a whole is a literary hardboiled mesh of noir, super villainy, sex, horror, violence and existential angst. Onc ...more
Mysty Vander
Mar 29, 2015 Mysty Vander rated it liked it
One of my favourite things about reading is to fall in love with characters as they continue to develop through-out the story. I did not feel like Wagner's Grendel/Hunter Rose developed nearly as much as he should have through-out the volume. At first, I was absolutely captivated by the story. Grendel is strikingly unique as a character, but overall becomes repetitive in nature halfway through.

The saving grace of this omnibus falls on the shoulders of the art which is so beautifully drawn you c
Stolt-man
Aug 10, 2016 Stolt-man rated it really liked it
This book is very good. It consists mostly of short Grendel stories written by Matt Wagner and each drawn by a different artist. The artists are all excellent. Wagner did a very good job of selecting them, although the best art in the book is by Wagner himself.
The only problem with the book is that being mostly short stories, you don't really get drawn into it. There is a longer story at the beginning and a very long story at the end, and those are the parts that are the most engaging.
Lloyd
Aug 27, 2014 Lloyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed most of these stories back when they were originally published. The closing tale in this volume was new for me, since it was published right as I was falling out . of my life long love of comics. Some of these stories didn't live up to my memories, but still an impressive saga over all. Looking forward to the second volume sometime in the not-too-distant future.
Steven Wilson
Jul 25, 2013 Steven Wilson rated it it was ok
I love Matt Wagner, and the early Grendel (not included herein) is fascinating. This one has its moments, like Grendel telling Argent that we decide to be fulfilled by life. But, by the end, I was exhausted. I felt the stories became repetitive and no growth was happening. Still, some great moments.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Jun 28, 2014 Gonzalo Oyanedel rated it it was amazing
Partiendo del noir más clásico, Matt Wagner acierta magistralmente al hacer de su villano Hunter Rose el vehículo para horadar la naturaleza del Mal. Crónica negra que mezcla folletín, violencia callejera y un singular triángulo de amor/odio para enganchar página tras página, dando forma a una de las grandes historietas independientes de las últimas décadas.
Fraser Sherman
Feb 18, 2015 Fraser Sherman rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Maybe 2.5, which may be the fault of the TPB format rather than the material. While I could see these stories working as regular backup features as they originally ran, here the sheer randomness (different viewpoints, times, styles, POV characters) means there's no build, and the individual stories weren't strong enough to keep me reading.
Baal Of
Dec 10, 2013 Baal Of rated it really liked it
Finally getting to read the Grendel stories in their entirety is a treat. Because the story is delivered in a disjoint manner through a series of shorts, out of order, it can be a bit bewildering. A wide variety of artists collaborated on the stories, which makes for a nice change of pace between segments. I'm looking forward to reading the next three volumes.
James T
Sep 06, 2013 James T rated it really liked it
Very dark and bloody. Quite violent...with that said though the whole concept now (and for when it was released) just fascinates me. Comic where the main character is the "bad guy" and has no conscience.
Patrick
Dec 22, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it
While comprehensive, the structure of this collection creates a repetitiveness during the middle section of short-stories. Matt Wagner's writing greatly improved over the thirty years spanned writing all this. I will be coming back for more.
C. Eaton
Jul 27, 2014 C. Eaton rated it it was ok
Lot's of gorgeous artwork and some interesting short stories but very little in terms of character development. I'm sure this was pretty ground-breaking back in the day but with all of the anti-heroes/villain-protagonists in comics these days it's really hard to get excited about Grendel himself.
Kurt Rocourt
Nov 12, 2013 Kurt Rocourt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-horse-tpb
One of my favorite characters in comics. My only gripe with this collection is that it's only the Dark Horse Black, White, and Red issues that are collected together. And the Devil by the Deed. After that it's great short stories a with great writing and many artists. Great stuff.
Emily
Oct 17, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Recommended to Emily by: Jeff C.
Shelves: comix
Why, hello there, David W. Mack.
Z
Jul 17, 2013 Z rated it liked it
I like grendel, but I couldn't tell you why. After reading this, I still can. Grendel's story is an enigma itself and I can't tell if I like it or not.
Derrick
Jul 29, 2013 Derrick rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars. Am embarrassment of riches, art-wise, but the "Grendel is unstoppable!" storylines become redundant before too long.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 3: Satan Smells a Rat (Lobster Johnson, #3)
  • The Marquis Volume 1: Inferno
  • Black Kiss
  • Essential Incredible Hulk, Vol. 1
  • Creepy Presents Richard Corben
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 4
  • Gray Horses
  • Ghostbusters, Volume 2: The Most Magical Place On Earth
  • Richard Stark's Parker: Slayground
  • Thief of Thieves, Vol. 2, "Help Me"
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Rex Mundi, Vol. 1: The Guardian of the Temple
  • A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering
  • The Complete ElfQuest, Volume One
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2
Matt Wagner is an American comic book writer and artist. In addition to his creator-owned series' Mage and Grendel, he has also worked on comics featuring The Demon and Batman as well as such titles as Sandman Mystery Theatre and Trinity, a DC Comics limited series featuring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.
More about Matt Wagner...

Grendel (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Grendel Archives
  • Grendel: Devil by the Deed
  • Grendel: Devil's Legacy
  • Grendel: The Devil Inside
  • Grendel: Devil Tales
  • Grendel: God and the Devil
  • Grendel: Devil's Reign (Grendel #6)
  • Grendel: Warchild