Start by marking “Last Whisper” as Want to Read:
Last Whisper

Last Whisper

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  301 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

Someone is tracking her every move.
A killer who knows that true nightmares never end…
And that the perfect murder is always worth waiting for…

Published August 29th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Last Whisper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Whisper

Kris - My Novelesque Life
Feb 11, 2015 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

"Brooke Yeager's childhood ended the night she crept downstairs to find her beautiful, gentle mother, Anne, lying in a pool of blood. Standing above Anne's shattered body, a gun aimed right at the terrified little girl, was Brooke's stepfather, Zachary Tavell. Luck saved Brooke that night, and in the years since, she's managed to build a good life in Charleston, West Virginia, secure in the knowledge that Zach is behind bars. Until the night another woman is murdered--a woman who looks
Amy
Jan 25, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
I love this author. I must say the closer I got to the ending the easier it was to figure out who the killer was. This book didn't lead me on in the wrong direction as well as some of her books have. It was still a good book.
Bob
Jun 08, 2011 Bob rated it really liked it
This was actually a hardback large print edition, great to read while waiting for my eyes to dialate at the Eye Docs, and to read afterwards while they returned to normal. Anyway, about the book: A brief overall plotline - 11 year old girls sees her mother lying shot with her stepfather standing with a gun in his hand. Stepfather convicted and sent prison. Years later, Girl is a realestate agent and is showing a house with a co-worker. Client a no show and as they leave shots ringout. Co-worker ...more
Lori
Mar 20, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing
read when it first came out , loved it
Manda
Nov 16, 2010 Manda rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. Parts of it seemed to drag out and not add anything to the book. How many people can get killed around 1 woman and she NOT be a suspect? No, really? Then parts of it seemed rushed. As if Carlene was tired of writing. Overall it was a good book.

summary: while a young kid, the main character finds her step dad standing over her dead mom, holding a gun at her. Years later step dad is in prison and she's living her life. Until suddenly bad things start to happe
Marie-Pier Andrée
Super livre! Super thriller! La fin m'a eue! Juste wow!
Dixie
Apr 24, 2015 Dixie rated it really liked it
Good thriller.
Doreen
Dec 22, 2013 Doreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an improvement on the romance side of things - the love interest is not a (view spoiler)... that being said, this book has more romance in it, which i find it refreshing after the other books. it does make the story not as "dry" as the others.
well, well, finally, i managed to correctly guess who the killer was for this round! i guess i am now a better detective after reading a few of her books this weekend.
Georgiann Hennelly
Aug 11, 2009 Georgiann Hennelly rated it it was amazing
last whisper is an excellant book it really kept me in suspense Brooke Yeager,s mom was murdered in cold blood when she was eleven years old she saw who she thought was the killer and now he has escaped from prison. and Brooke starts getting notes and white roses sent to her. she is scared for her life then her grandmother has a stroke.. well i won,t ruin the story by telling you the ending its a real pg turner
Deb
Jan 19, 2014 Deb rated it it was ok
Typical romance. Focused more on what the character was wearing than what they were feeling. Still ok for a quick read.
Syao Chan
May 07, 2013 Syao Chan rated it did not like it
Brooke Yeager was very Mary Sue-ish in the plot, and so following her story became less engaging for me as the pages progressed. I was simply liking the protagonist less and less. The red herring was also VERY obvious, that around three-fourths of the series, I have already guessed the culprit. >:(
Tasha
Mar 20, 2011 Tasha rated it liked it
Shelves: he-loves-me-not
New author for me in the romantic suspense genre... like her. Kind of saw the end coming on this one but at least there were enough twists, turns and well developed characters to keep it moving and interesed.
Peacegal
Jan 12, 2010 Peacegal rated it it was ok
I read it for my book discussion group. Pretty much your average ultra-mainstream murder mystery. The hackneyed dialogue has made laugh out loud a few times. Ah well. There are worse things to slog through I guess.
Ffiamma
May 25, 2013 Ffiamma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donne, americana, ebook
lettura prevedibile, in cui l'assassino si capisce a metà libro. va bene per una giornata in spiaggia, quando le capacità di concentrazione sono vicine allo zero.
Suzanne
Sep 20, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
I like my mysteries a little faster paced that this one. It is slow going in the middle and the pace picks up in the end. This is why this book gets 3 stars.

Carina
Sep 24, 2010 Carina rated it it was amazing
It was a really good book. She is an awesome author that writes really good books that you can't put it down.
Nancy
Jan 11, 2009 Nancy rated it it was ok
Recommended to Nancy by: Chrissi McCormick
Predictable. Figured out the end before half way point.
Frances
May 04, 2008 Frances rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
This was ok, try some other books by this author
Elisabeth
Breathtaking till the end.
Samy-Jane Tremblay
Samy-Jane Tremblay rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Carrie Steinburg
Carrie Steinburg marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Jennelle
Jennelle marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Lorelei Rhine
Lorelei Rhine marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Kimber
Kimber marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Gina Jones
Gina Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Jessie L.
Jessie L. rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Lori Douglas
Lori Douglas rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
S.
S. marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
  • Midnight Rain
  • Little Sister
  • No Escape
  • Sight Unseen
  • Watching Amanda
  • The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)
  • Kiss of Death
  • Now You Die
  • The Final Kill
  • Dangerous Deception (The Protectors, #27)
  • Inferno
  • Blind Curve
  • What She Doesn't Know
  • Dark Places (Claire Morgan #2)
  • Motion to Dismiss (Kali O'Brien, #3)
  • The Echo of Violence (Sweet Justice, #3)
  • Body Trace
  • Don't Be Afraid
Carlene Thompson is an author of suspense thriller novels.

Her first book, Black for Remembrance, was published in 1990 by Little, Brown and was well received. Her books are suspense novels, often with romantic elements and many take place in Thompson's home state of West Virginia. Her books often feature animals, which she bases on animals she knows in real life.
More about Carlene Thompson...