Start by marking “Big Bad Wolves at School” as Want to Read:
Big Bad Wolves at School

Big Bad Wolves at School

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Rufus doesn't like school at first. He loves being a wolf and doing wolf stuff -- like running through the woods or howling at the moon. But Rufus, like all wolves, must go to school to learn real wolf work, like wearing clever disguises and speaking sheep.

While Rufus learns, he also teaches: Sometimes ou have to cut loose and learn to be yourself!

Published June 26th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Big Bad Wolves at School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Bad Wolves at School

Kristi
I just read this and giggled my way through the whole thing!

Poor Rufus just doesn't fit in with the other wolves at Big Bad Wolf Academy. He doesn't want to huff and puff, or wear disguises, or figure out the best way to get in a henhouse. He's much more interested in doing things the natural wolf way: howling at the moon, running through the trees, and sticking his nose in everything. Of course, Rufus saves the day by being himself.

Brad Sneed's illustrations are brillant and just so aptly fit
Anna Korroch
I really enjoyed this book. It made me laugh many times and I loved that it took an element of many tales we hear and expanded on it. It is very creative and entertaining. besides the humor, it teaches the lesson that not everyone is good at the same thing. Rufus was not interested in the same things that the other wolves were interested in, but that was a good thing when he saved them from the hunters.
This would be a good read aloud when discussing different interests. It can teach students th
Libby Erwood
Personal Reaction: I really enjoyed Big Bad Wolves at School by Stephen Kerensky. I am definitely a person that finds joy in a picture book that can make me laugh, and this definitely did so. Any book that follows a animal in situations similar to students in real life can make students stay engaged throughout the whole book yet still find a way to be amused and enjoy it. The illustrations were another part that made this book standout to me. They did a nice job going off what the text said and ...more
Hyeonjeong Lee
Personal Reaction - I like this book because of characteristics of the main character, Rufus. He seems not to be a good student in the school because he does not show interest in the classes, so he doesn't follow teachers's instructions well. However, he has positive thoughts and knows how to react in case of facing serious problems. This character reminds me of what's the meaning of "good student".

Purposes-
Read aloud to K-2 children for several potential purposes:
- Rufus showed leadership when
babyhippoface
Rufus doesn't fit in at home or at Big Bad Wolf school, either. He'd rather admire butterflies and blow dandelions than skulk and practice disguises. But when danger arrives at the academy, his quick thinking saves the day.

Pretty standard "misfit saves everyone" kind of story, but the illustrations are absolutely adorable. Read it to 1st grade today, and they thought it was funny.
Emily
Thought the plot was lacking....I don't know a little something. Don't read out loud if you don't like the way you sound when you try to howl like a wolf. I sound ridiculous.
Ellen
This story is a clever play on fairy tales with wolves, but I can't help but cringe when the hero doesn't pay attention at school and succeeds anyway.
Amy
Big Bad Wolves at School, by Stephen Krensky, illustrated by Brad Sneed, published by Simon and Schuster Books, date published: 2007.
This book is a cute fantasy book about wolves. There is a wolf named Rufus who likes to run around and play all day long and he does not act like a wolf. His parents do not think that Rufus will be able to survive in the real harsh world, so they decide to send him to the "Big Bad Wolf Academy." At this academy, wolves are trained how to act like wolves. They first
Luann
First let me say, Brad Sneed's illustrations are hilarious! They definitely add to the "must read" factor of this book. What boy isn't going to want to pick up a book that has a wolf sitting in school with two pencils up his nose on the front cover? :)

The idea of the story is also very humorous and off-beat! In Rufus's world, "correct" wolf behavior is huffing and puffing, wearing disguises, acting (like grandmothers or sheep), and learning sheep language. But Rufus likes to howl at the moon, t
Peggy Archer
BIG BAD WOLVES AT SCHOOL, by Stephen Krensky, illustrated by Brad Sneed (picture book)

Opening line: “Rufus was a young wolf who spent his days turning over rocks, rolling in the grass, and running like the wind.” Rufus’ parents send him to the Big Bad Wolf Academy to learn more about being wolf-like. He is not exactly the best student. In the end he saves the day just by being himself. Simon & Schuster 2007
Kathryn Martin
Adorable book about being yourself and playing to your strengths. Seeing the wolf side and how wolves prepare for the three little pigs is great. I felt bad for Rufus but when he became the hero, I knew he was ell deserving. It does not come easy.
Bethany Ayers
This is a very fun book! It's very humerous and excting. It would be a great book to read after reading The Three Little Pigs because of some events that happen in this book, for example, at school they teach the wolves how to huff and puff. The wolves have to take classes just like regular students, so if you read this in your class, the students will have prior knowledge, and will be able to relate.
The main wolf in this story, Rufus, is not as good as other students in most subjects, however,
Jess
Rufus gets send away to school because his folks don't believe he'll be able to survive in the big, bad world. Dude fails at all his lessons until some hunters show up.

References some traditional wolf fairy tale roles (LRRH, three pigs, wolf in sheep's clothing, etc) and could be worked into a fractured fairy tale unit. Don't know that I love the story--it's OK. I wish it was funnier or that we knew why wolves were learning these things in school because none are effective with dealing with peop
Alexis
Dec 03, 2007 Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3rd-4th grade
This is a tale of a wolf who doesn't like to act like the other wolves do. He prefers to howl at the moon and chase things as opposed to his peers who act like fairy tale wolves, dressing up as grandma or blowing houses down. This book presents an interesting perspective of the life of "wolves". It was a cute way to expand on the character of the big,bad wolf from fairy tales. The pictures are fantastic and very comical. This book would be helpful with a unit on fairy tales so children could com ...more
Alice
Big Bad wolf school, um ... yeah... If you are a wolf and want to learn how to dress in grandma disguises, work on breathing at the Huff n puff range (Danger high winds). Learn the language of sheep (baa) and how howl at the moon, then Big Bad wolf school is for you... What I would consider a cool 'boy' book but I think both boys and girls will like this book. Rufus is a wolf that isn't quite sure he want's to be in school (like most school kids). Fun book good for a giggle.
Jessica Vandewarker
This book puts a twist on the stereotypes of the bad wolves in fairy tales. It is a humorous tale of one wolf named Rufus. Students will laugh at his antics and understand his frustration in school. This character gives students someone to relate to in school. In order to understand this book the reader must have heard some of the traditional tales like Little Red Riding Hood and some of the unheard of The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf to understand the story.
Gwen the Librarian
Did you ever wonder how the Big Bad Wolf learned so many sneaky tricks? He went to Big Bad Wolf Academy, of course! But Rufus the wolf doesn't like going to school and learning how to blow down houses and dress up like a granny. He would rather roll in the grass and run around and howl. The other wolves call Rufus old-fashioned, but when a group of hunters comes to the forest, only Rufus knows what to do! This is a really funny book with great illustrations!
Curriculum
Rufus the wolf is a true wolf and isn't doing very well in Big Bad Wolf School. Students who struggle in school might empathize with Rufus' feelings and antics and the adventure he has. The illustrations are the funniest part of the book. On thr front cover alone you have Rufus, a teenage gangly wolf who issitting in a school desk with two pencils stuck up his nose. A teacher (wolf) is approaching him with hands on hips. This is one you have to pick up!
Jenny
Rufus isn't like the other wolves. He isn't big or bad and he likes to frolic in the outdoors. So his parents send him to the Big Bad Wolf Academy so he'll learn how to survive in the cruel world. He doesn't fit in at all. He has trouble dressing up in granny's clothes, he couldn't say "baaaa" like a sheep at all, and he couldn't huff and puff. But in the end, his unique abilities turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
Ashley
This was an adorable book about the schooling of a wolf named Rufus who doens't quite fit in with the other wolves and in the end learns that sometimes it's better to just be yourself. The plot connects to other enjoyable stories including big bad wolves such as The Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, etc. Fun illistrations add to the humor of the story. All in all a real cute book.
Katie Clark
I really like this book about Rufus, a wolf, that goes to Big Bad Wolf Academy to learn how to huff and puff and other things. Rufus doesn't like going to school at first but as the book progresses he begins to like school and being able to teach others how to have fun. This is a fun book to use in a third or fourth grade classroom.
Mandy
(3.5 stars)
Rufus' parents worried about him because he was more interested in playing and relaxing versus being a big, bad wolf. So they sent him to the Big Bad Wolf Academy where he could learn to huff and puff, master disguises, and baa like a sheep. But Rufus struggled with these new skills and was much better at being himself.
Lynn
This is a great book. Rufus the wolf is the main character, and all he is interested in is being himself. Fortunately, the story shows how being yourself is a great asset. My son and I enjoyed the story and the illustrations are great. It has vivid colors and details.
Pamela
Rufus has to go to school to learn to be a big bad wolf, but dislikes it. Instead, he would rather do normal wolf things. This makes him very unpopular at school. However, his different interests end up helping everyone. Somewhat funny.
pati
NCCBA 2008 Nominee

A wolf who would rather be somewhere else is instead at school and not loving it; he saves the day when the hunters come and is rewarded for his un-brave response.
Brooke
My boys love this book. If it was up to them we'd read it over and over again. A fun look behind the scene at what kind of training goes into being a big bad wolf.
Cymiki
what a cleverly written book from the wolf's point of view! how rufus tries to learn a foreign language (sheep) to saving the day in this cute tale.....
Tricia
Rufus doesn't fit in at the Big Bad Wolf Academy but ultimately saves the day with his howling in defense of the school.
Dee
I don't know what it is about wolves. I just can't get enough of them. Cute book. Love the pencils up the nose bit.
Carolyn
AR 2.9 -- 0.5
A wolf that beats to his own drum at school. Fun book to read and to look at the illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
How Santa Got His Job I Am So Brave! The Last Christmas Tree Chaucer's First Winter Now I Am Big!