Start by marking “Fever! The Hunt for a New Killer Virus” as Want to Read:
Fever! The Hunt for a New Killer Virus

Fever! The Hunt for a New Killer Virus

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  12 reviews
February 1969 - deadly unidentified virus reported from remote African missionary hospital, two American nurses stricken and died within 10 days. Doctors stymied by mysterious symptoms of the killer: soaring temperature, painful backache, swelling of the throat and neck, discolored skin! Latest victim airlifted to special isolation ward at New York's Columbia Presbyterian ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published February 12th 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Fever! The Hunt for a New Killer Virus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fever! The Hunt for a New Killer Virus

Judy
I read an abbreviated version of this book in my mom's "Readers Digest" when I was a kid and was fascinated by this story. When Ebola panic erupted this fall, I remembered this book and was able to find a copy at the library. By the time I finished, the Ebola pains was over. There is much similarity between the events in this book and the Ebola "crisis" this past fall and it wasn't media panic. This book tells the tale of the first recorded cases of Lassa fever, a virus similar to Ebola, which b ...more
Debbie Blane
A good read, a true story. Medical missions. The book is from 1973 and one of the things that really struck me about it is how much the events that took place reminded me of the fairly recent Ebola crisis in Africa.

I had no idea how complicated the medical protocols are for identifying new viruses and their causes, the "index" (first) patient with the disease and the sleuthing that takes place to find out where the disease originally came from. I found the book intriguing.
Alice
Jul 29, 2014 Alice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alice by: "This Week in Virology" podcast
I am a virus fanatic, and this book only made me worse....;) As the blurb said: reads like a Crichton thriller. Only difference is, it really happened.
Greg Parrott
Great telling of the Lassa virus discovery and impact in West Africa.
Maureen
I read this book twice around 1979, it is a must read. It is wonderfully well written, I hope they put it on kindle because I would definitely love to read it again. Our library has not lent it out in years.
Stephen
A fascinating insight into virus hunting, especially to look back and see how lassa took part in and pushed the development of safety protocol. Though the book is dated at times in the authors outlook.
Elizabeth
I need to read this book as research for a science fiction story I'm writing. I read the condensed Reader's Digest version when I was a kid. I'm sure the book will pass the test of time.
Jess
Really good! This was the real life story of the discovery of the Lassa virus, which showed up in missionary nurses in Africa in 1969. Crazy story, and really well-written.
Terri
The story of the emergence of Lass Fever in Nigeria in 1969. Really good presentation of the people involved and the developments. A little too technical at times I thought.
Garrett O'neal
This book is amazing and keeps you on edge. If you're a science buff, read it!
Betty
Dec 18, 2008 Betty marked it as to-read
Definitely hope I can locate a copy of this one.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Gripping book about the discovery of Lhasa fever.
Eden
Eden marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
learnreadimagine
learnreadimagine marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Thuy
Thuy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Micaela Flores
Micaela Flores marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Anne Pierce
Anne Pierce marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Lizeth
Lizeth marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Jennifer Siddiqui
Jennifer Siddiqui marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
William Poon
William Poon is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
Nissin Moussatche
Nissin Moussatche marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Andrew O'Connor
Andrew O'Connor marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Andrew O'Connor
Andrew O'Connor marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Grant Fuller, Jr. (1913 - 1990) was a New England-based American author of several non-fiction books and newspaper articles, mainly focusing on the theme of extra-terrestrials and the supernatural. For many years he wrote a regular column for the Saturday Review magazine, called "Trade Winds". His three most famous books were The Ghost of Flight 401, Incident at Exeter, and The Interrupted Jo ...more
More about John Grant Fuller Jr....
The Ghost of Flight 401 The Day of St. Anthony's Fire The Interrupted Journey Two Lost Hours Aboard A Flying Saucer We Almost Lost Detroit The Day We Bombed Utah