Start by marking “Fever!: The Hunt for a New Killer Virus” as Want to Read:
Fever!: The Hunt for a New Killer Virus

Fever!: The Hunt for a New Killer Virus

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  10 reviews
February 1969 - deadly unidentified virus reported from remote African missionary hospital, two American nurses stricken and died within 10 days. Doctors stymied by mysterious symptoms of the killer: soaring temperature, painful backache, swelling of the throat and neck, discolored skin! Latest victim airlifted to special isolation ward at New York's Columbia Presbyterian...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published February 12th 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Fever!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fever!

Alice
Jul 29, 2014 Alice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alice by: "This Week in Virology" podcast
I am a virus fanatic, and this book only made me worse....;) As the blurb said: reads like a Crichton thriller. Only difference is, it really happened.
Greg Parrott
Great telling of the Lassa virus discovery and impact in West Africa.
Maureen
I read this book twice around 1979, it is a must read. It is wonderfully well written, I hope they put it on kindle because I would definitely love to read it again. Our library has not lent it out in years.
Stephen
A fascinating insight into virus hunting, especially to look back and see how lassa took part in and pushed the development of safety protocol. Though the book is dated at times in the authors outlook.
Elizabeth
I need to read this book as research for a science fiction story I'm writing. I read the condensed Reader's Digest version when I was a kid. I'm sure the book will pass the test of time.
Jess
Really good! This was the real life story of the discovery of the Lassa virus, which showed up in missionary nurses in Africa in 1969. Crazy story, and really well-written.
Terri
The story of the emergence of Lass Fever in Nigeria in 1969. Really good presentation of the people involved and the developments. A little too technical at times I thought.
Garrett O'neal
This book is amazing and keeps you on edge. If you're a science buff, read it!
Betty
Dec 18, 2008 Betty marked it as to-read
Definitely hope I can locate a copy of this one.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Gripping book about the discovery of Lhasa fever.
Johnny Figueroa
Johnny Figueroa marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Katt
Katt marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Amy St.
Amy St. marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Michael Paolillo
Michael Paolillo marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Kevin Simpson
Kevin Simpson marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Dodecahedron
Dodecahedron marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Jens
Jens marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Adam Sawyer
Adam Sawyer marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Grant Fuller, Jr. (1913 - 1990) was a New England-based American author of several non-fiction books and newspaper articles, mainly focusing on the theme of extra-terrestrials and the supernatural. For many years he wrote a regular column for the Saturday Review magazine, called "Trade Winds". His three most famous books were The Ghost of Flight 401, Incident at Exeter, and The Interrupted Jo...more
More about John Grant Fuller Jr....
The Ghost Of Flight 401 The Day of St. Anthony's Fire The Interrupted Journey Two Lost Hours Aboard A Flying Saucer We Almost Lost Detroit The Day We Bombed Utah