Start by marking “Castro's Daughter: An Exile's Memoir of Cuba” as Want to Read:
Castro's Daughter: An Exile's Memoir of Cuba

Castro's Daughter: An Exile's Memoir of Cuba

"Mommy, mommy, call him. Tell him to come here right away. I have so many things to tell him!"

I had a ton of things to tell him. I wanted him to find a solution to all the shortages of: clothes; of meat, so it would again be distributed through the ration books.

I also wanted to ask him to give our Christmas back. And to come live with us. I wanted to let him know how much
Published September 10th 1999 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Castro's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castro's Daughter

Jenna
Jan 31, 2011 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if a lot was lost in translation, but this was a little confusing and not really all that well written. That being said it was very interesting. She's definitively got an agenda, but I'm convinced that communist dictatorship is a really bad idea. Even if you call the dictator Dad.
Batya
Jun 30, 2008 Batya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was published in 1997. I traveled to Cuba in 1996 (when they were feeling the pinch of the Special Period) and in 2006 for the Havana Bienal, which put Havana on display at its best. In 2006, much had been or was in the process of being renovated, supported by foreign investors, and tourism was up, at least in La Habana Vieja. The people I met in Havana spoke surprisingly candidly about their hopes for their country and for themselves, but I never heard any of these horror stories. Som ...more
Ashlee
Feb 14, 2011 Ashlee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Alina Fernandez, one of Fidel Castro's illegitimate children, and her life growing up in Cuba during her fathers regime. To be completely honest this book wasn't that great or super interesting. I respect Alina for the struggles that she endured in her life, but in general the book was hard to follow and didn't have a strong sense of any timeline. It was like she was a baby and then bam she was talking about something else and you didn't know if she was now a toddler or a teen ...more
Jennilee Green
She has an extense knowledge of words and writes eloquent but the timeline was hard to follow.
Since the book is written by her and her own experiences, it is quite one sided and full of emotions. It must not be easy having a father that treated you that way or a mother that cared more about the Revolution than you. In a way she repeats her stories with her own daughter, maybe not to the full extent as her parents but it is there. Alina has to fight her tangible and intangible demons and she tak
Katy Branson
I read this with my book club and found it very erratic. Fernandez paints a vivid picture of the horrors of Cuba under the narcissistic and brutal Castro. However, she falls short in weaving her own story in with that of her country. Her own narrative is bizarre, disjointed and confusing making her an unreliable narrator. An easy read and interesting for its portrait of Cuban life but not fantastic.
Kathleen McRae
This book was written by Alina Fidel Castro's daughter.She has written a damning account highlighting her fathers selfish glory and the horrors of paternalism and the women who feel compelled to alienate their own daughters because of it.It is fairly obvious during the writing that Alina has suffered some depressive episodes and psychosomatic illnesses as well.The book is written in a rather narcistic way and Alina refers to her own daughter throughout the book as the Troll
David Harrington
I found the subject matter very interesting, however I did find it confusing to read. I'm not sure if it was lost in translation or editing, but there were a lot of jumps that made it difficult to follow at times.
Helen Noorkõiv
Mar 20, 2015 Helen Noorkõiv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting to read about Cuba from dictators daughters perspective as she seemed to be quite opposed to her fathers politics and worldviews. I respect Alina for not attempting to tell the story as if she would be perfect person or a hero in the middle of all the horrible events.
Jaynie
Aug 22, 2010 Jaynie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting memoir from Fidel Castro's daughter. Even if only half of what she has written is true I can only wonder how people can survive and grow up in a country (with a leader) so bent on destruction.
J.
Jan 28, 2013 J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuba
The life and times of the number one illegal child of the regimen. Lucky to be the daughter.Other will be in the prison.
Millicent
agree with other comments - not particularly well written, however, very descriptive as a personal memoir - a backstory of a revolutionary....
if you have an interest in cuba - this is interesting.
Kelly
Aug 17, 2013 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get in to this book. Never finished it.
Alicia
Sep 29, 2015 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuba
Disjointed and hard to follow. Do not recommend.
Waika Ivelisse
Jun 03, 2014 Waika Ivelisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mirando la Revolucion desde adentro. Desde el ojo de los privilegiados de la revolucion. Muy valiente la muchachita.
Susie
Mar 07, 2008 Susie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who love Latin America
Recommended to Susie by: a gift from Kim
Really good especially with all the news about Fidel Castro right now. The author relates a personal history with Fidel which is something we never really get to hear about. Good book. Short.
Bridgette
This book provides amazing insight to living conditions in Cuba and to the pain any child feels when not embraced with love by their Father.
Marcin Cylke
Marcin Cylke rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Milena Rendon
Milena Rendon rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2017
Rebekka Van straalen
Rebekka Van straalen rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2017
Casey
Casey rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2009
Stacey
Stacey rated it did not like it
Sep 08, 2012
Natassia
Natassia rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2009
Lenora Carey
Lenora Carey rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
Larissa Arvizu
Larissa Arvizu rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Daniela Bosque
Daniela Bosque rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2011
Kasia
Kasia rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Mandy Rijssen
Mandy Rijssen rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2017
Constance
Constance rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Marianne V
Marianne V rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2009
Ólavur Øksnadal
Ólavur Øksnadal rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2013