Come Back, Amelia Bedelia

Come Back, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #4)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  10,427 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Amelia Bedelia gets in trouble by doing exactly what she is told. When Mrs Rogers asks for cereal with her coffee, Amelia puts cereal in the coffee and gets fired. Wherever Amelia tries - beauty shop, dress shop, doctor's office - she gets mixed up. Can she do anything well?
Published August 18th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Come Back, Amelia Bedelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Back, Amelia Bedelia

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyJunie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business by Barbara ParkJunie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren by Barbara ParkJunie B. Jones Is a Graduation Girl by Barbara Park
Good Books For Anyone
45th out of 62 books — 62 voters
Terror at White Otter Castle by Bonnie FerranteLady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona CarnarvonHaunted Virginia by Pamela K. KinneyEntwined by Heather DixonVirginia's Haunted Historic Triangle by Pamela K. Kinney
House/Castle on the book cover
60th out of 138 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Linden
Come Back Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish was one of my favorite books growing up. It helped me not only strengthen my reading skills but gain a love for reading stories that included humor and detailed illustrations. This easy to read book chronicles the life of Amelia Bedelia who is a maid who just cannot seem to hold down a job. Every job she gets, she runs into some kind of trouble that ends up getting her fired from each one. Amelia does everything she is told by every employer, however, she...more
Katie Clark
A an easy read for children in the second and third grade. Amelia Bedelia is in search of a new job but she has trouble following directions. This book can be used to show children the importance of thinking before you act and in following directions correctly.
An Odd1
Smiles never stop. Amelia still totes a hard Queen Liz style purse, proper maid outfit - white collar, cuffs, bow, and apron bows bedeck black tights and dress. Shock of red bangs peep from yellow flowers on black up-brim hat. Stout Mrs Rogers has prim gray curls, greedy double chin, pearls, presides over double-decker suburban splendor, and demands cereal with her coffee this morning, just after Amelia pulls cream puffs from the oven.

Fired, Amelia works through village help wanted signs. Nobod...more
Claire S
Loved these as a child, and still the different parts come to mind for no reason, like 'drawing the drapes,' and 'dusting the furniture.' So when I re-discovered them with my daughter, was delighted. Reading it as an adult though took a bit of the fun out for me.. as the cause for confusion is Amelia's Irishness apparently. Not so funny (for me) anymore.. I mean, sure, not taking things seriously is good, but still. Would love it if someone redid them, without that flavor, as it shows kids both...more
Jamie Winslow
Amelia Bedelia was a maid in a family's home. One morning she was making cream puffs and when the wife came in and asked for breakfast. The woman thought the breakfast was terrible and told Amelia Bedelia she must go! So she started down the street. She first came to a beauty shop that was looking for help. She went in and started pinning up a customers hair. She was doing a horrible job and the beauty shop owner told her to leave. She continued down the road when she came to a dress shop that w...more
Stephanie Jobe
I’ll admit I am one of those people that when I’m watching one of those movies with the bumbling character I tend to hide even more than I do in the horror movies. Growing up I think that feeling started with Amelia Bedelia. Yes I sometimes laughed like most kids, but mostly I cringed. I think I’ve spent my life in fear of people like Amelia Bedelia (you know they’re out there). However I know tons of people that grew up tickled to death by her and I find her much easier to read now. As she take...more
MissyDevoursDelishReads
What a blast from the past! I asked our daughter to start choosing "new" books at her school library, instead of her usual animal/girlie pink choices. She came home one day saying she saw this really old book, and when she attempted to say the title, I knew exactly what she was talking about! I said, "Bring it home!" Super exciting to share a book with our daughter that I enjoyed immensely as a child. I believe I read all in the series, and would definitely recommend for some silly fun!
Mark Baker
One of my favorites in the series finds Amelia fired from the Rogers and taking her literal act to other businesses as she tries to find another job.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Brandyn
Kerri (Book Hoarder)
These books are adorable and a great way to discuss language and meaning with kids. :D They have the benefit of being pretty funny, too! Definitely classics in my opinion, I hope that libraries still carry them.
Sharon
"What is this?"
"It is your cereal with coffee."
...and of course Amelia mixes the coffee IN the cereal. However, Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have had it with Amelia taking all of their instructions literally and fire her. Nonetheless, Amelia searches all over town at the beauty parlor, the dress shop, the office (where she was asked to file some papers and she actually took a nail file and filed the paper into shreds ...oh Amelia!), the doctor's office, etc. Yet, none of these jobs worked out for her. J...more
Melissa McLees
This book kinds of reminds me that it is sometimes hard to find our place in this world, but if we try we will realize that we need friends and family to.
Mmouse
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah...more
Apr 08, 2012 Laura added it
Shelves: edsl-520
Parrish, Peggy. Come Back, Amelia Bedelia. (1971)

Annotation: Amelia Bedelia loses her job at the Rogers's house, so she goes to town to look for another job. Every job that she tries in town, she mess up and so they all fire her. Then Amelia remembers that she forgot her cream puffs back at the Rogers's house. When she returns, Mrs. Rogers ask her to stay and apologizes for being mad.

Themes:following directions, forgiveness, making mistakes

Ways to use with children: You can use this book to talk...more
Grace
My son liked the last part of the book, especially when Amelia heated up the can of soup.
Kimberly
I'm a child at heart. I love Amelia Bedelia books. :D
Maha
It's very funny.
george
I loved loved loved Amelia Bedelia as a little girl, but I haven't read any AB books in a long, long time. Who doesn't love Amelia Bedelia? She is so happy and tries so hard and does everything she's told. Literally. Hilarious and endearing, Amelia Bedelia is fired from her housekeeping job and sets off to find other work. She finds lots of jobs but none that want to keep her. Amelia doesn't understand hwy--she does everything they ask her to. But maybe there is one job that's just about perfect...more
Kyle Rasor
Over all a fun book to read with children. Amelia tend to follow directions to literally and cannot find another job after she is fired from her first one. The illustrations in my opinion are not the most eye catching but do complement the story well. This type of book would be a good book to read to children and then ask them questions about following directions. It's a very interesting book but I believe only real young children will enjoy the book.
Juan-Diego
I liked the part when Amelia Bedelia put cereal and coffee together and Mrs. Rogers said "what is this?" The setting were the house, office, beauty salon, and the dress store. Why does Amelia Bedelia do everything wrong? I would change the ending of the story by writing that Amelia finally did something right. Some character trait about Amelia is she is funny and weird. I felt sad that Amelia got send out of the house.
Susan
Like all the Amelia Bedelia books, this is just plain, silly fun. This one was printed in 1971, and it shows its age a little more than most. AB goes looking for work, and sees a "Lady Wanted" sign in a window. But it doesn't really detract from the the fun of reading about the hilarious things that happen when AB takes things literally, as when she serves "coffee with cereal," or "files" some papers.
Christy Whitaker
Parish highlights just how often we use idioms in our everyday language as she describes all the "sticky" situations Amelia gets into as she interprets everything she hears in the literal sense. This book is a great way to introduce idioms in the classroom. Plus, the students love her stories!! Also, it can be a useful technique in Esol classes when teaching comprehension and word-play.
Stephanie Nawrocki
Once again, Ameila Bedelia does everything she is told, but Mrs. Rogers has had enough, so Ameila must find a new job. But every new job Ameila gets is harder than the last. Amelia still tries to do as she is told, but keeps getting fired from each job she finds. This is another great humerous book that is great for young readers who want to read chapter books.
Maddie Smith
I really enjoyed this Amelia Bedilia book because all she wants is a place where she belongs. Amelia is a hard worker but keeps getting fired from her job because she does exactly as she is told. I will keep this book in my classroom because I know children would find it funny. This book is for early elementary.
Brandy
When I was a little girl, I loved reading Amelia Bedelia books with my mother. We would laugh at all the silly things she would do such as literally changing the towels by cutting holes through them! She is really out there! It's a wonderful children's series that gives you a good laugh.
Theresa
a hilarious story of miss understandings
a great series of mixed up directions and literal meanings, this is a great silly series to show children that mistakes and mix ups are possible if not probable, and that innocence may be more of the reason then meaning to do something wrong/
Rachel
I love the Amelia Bedelia series. In this book Amelia is repeatedly fired from jobs because she takes her orders to literally. Students will enjoy the humor of Amelia and the situations she finds herself in. This book could be used as early as first grade.
Kex Batara
I read Amelia Bedelia books when I was in third grade! They were really funny, I liked when she made cream puffs for Mrs. Rogers and stamped on the letters. Even though she takes things literally, I really, really like her. She's hilarious!
Casey Trump
One of my favorite series as a child. Amelia Bedelia is a very funny character and keeps kids guessing as to what she'll do next. In this book, she gets fired and tries out a few new occupations. She ends up being missed and being asked to return.
Kayla Schum
This book is about Amelia Bedelia who is a maid for a family. She is fired then begins to walk down the street to find a new job. But with that comes a lot of bigger messes. I would let my students read this for fun and its a pretty easy read.
best childrens book ever 2 2 Jul 11, 2012 09:12AM
  • Bravo, Amelia Bedelia!
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Curious George Visits the Zoo
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
  • Clifford's Birthday Party
  • Little Bear's Friend
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Just Me in the Tub (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am...more
More about Peggy Parish...
Amelia Bedelia Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower Amelia Bedelia Helps Out Good Work, Amelia Bedelia Thank You, Amelia Bedelia