Start by marking “The Self-Sufficiency Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Self-Sufficiency Handbook

The Self-Sufficiency Handbook

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
An introduction to the possibilities and methods involved in setting up the different aspects of a greener way of living. Subjects covered in the book include the self-sufficient house, the organic food garden, animal husbandry and the pantry.
Published April 1st 2011 by New Holland Australia(AU) (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Self-Sufficiency Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Self-Sufficiency Handbook

Amanda
Jan 29, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is extremely concise – somehow they've managed to cram the basics of all the varied self-sufficiency topics into teeny little chapters (some topics take up just one page). The interesting thing about this quick read is how in addition to teaching you a thing or two it gets you to ask questions of yourself. These two jumped into homesteading head first in their early twenties (in the 1970s) with two small children (". . . in a tumbledown house in the middle of a field with no running wa ...more
Wendy Klik
A beginners guide to greener living. Lots of great information for getting started and deciding how green you want to be. See my complete review at http://adayinthelifeonthefarm.blogspo...
Jessica
Jan 01, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This seems to be a book for people who a really, genuinely, very serious about going off-grid. As in, "No, seriously, I'm going to do this thing, and now I just need some advance on choosing the right land plot." Since I have never successfully grown tomatoes, clearly I was not the intended audience.

Still, it was kind of fun reading and daydreaming about my perfect, energy efficient little hobbit house, with a bountiful herb garden in the back yard.
Inder
Mar 06, 2008 Inder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: farm, domesticarts, green
This isn't as much about farming/intensive gardening as it is about green building, composting your own sewage (!), and other aspects of self-sufficiency. Nonetheless, a very valuable resource. A bit hard core, but I'm sure, very valuable. Seriously, in between some of the very hard core stuff, there is some really good advice on digging, mulching, and growing veggies.
Audra
Jul 10, 2009 Audra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. I have no plans to turn off my power and build a windmill in my backyard. Wouldn't get that one by the HOA. I like the gardening and canning section. I was expecting more of an "urban homestead" type book, not one about going without any local services.
Jenna
Oct 20, 2013 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really useful. Had a lot of great ideas I hope to use when I move out. Anyone whether looking to become self-sufficient or just live a more ecologically friendly lifestyle should give this book a try.
Meghan
Jan 22, 2010 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful info about organic gardening, and other useful tips regarding a life living off-grid. I read this book pretty much just to glean the gardening info.
Jen
Dec 25, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very complete guide. enjoyed the building plans.
Kristen
Jun 30, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good detail on living off grid.
Erin (work)
Jun 14, 2009 Erin (work) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to daydream.
Nicola Kewley
Nicola Kewley rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Denise Dupree
Denise Dupree marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Steph Haze
Steph Haze rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Shannon James
Shannon James rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
cathy holland-downs
cathy holland-downs rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
George Flockhart
George Flockhart rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
jan
jan rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Beami
Beami marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Jason Thomas Jones
Jason Thomas Jones rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Nick O'doherty
Nick O'doherty rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2016
Brigitte Eaton
Brigitte Eaton rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Chelsea R
Chelsea R marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015