Start by marking “How to Worry Less about Money” as Want to Read:
How to Worry Less about Money

How to Worry Less about Money (The School of Life)

Money is too important a part of life for us not to worry about it, but by approaching it differently, we can change the way we perceive its worth. With surprising and enlightening new insights, this book will help you realise what material wealth really means.
Published May 1st 2012 by MacMillan (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Worry Less about Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Worry Less about Money

Kimberly
Mar 05, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Quite good, in a much different way than other books about money or finances. This one discusses the philosophical issues with money, why we want money. He does make the important distinction between money troubles and money worries, and this book is about the latter issue. Not a how-to, but perhaps more a how-to-perceive money. Does it really work to think of poverty or ascetism as more pure than wealth? He also posits that envy isn't necessarily bad, envy can be channelled towards good ends. I ...more
Jenn Stark
Feb 27, 2013 Jenn Stark rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Started out strong, worth the read for the first 80 pages alone... wah wah middle and fizzled out by the end for me, sadly. LOVED the insight that we are relational beings, and we create relationships with not just people, but all things, including money...
earthy
Jan 13, 2014 earthy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
A thoughtful look into how we think about money and how our relationship with it affects other aspects of our lives. I'm not entirely sure any of the content actually answers the title's promise--how to worry less about money; but the philosophical workings here are certainly worth a read.
Samantha Choo
Oct 30, 2016 Samantha Choo rated it it was ok
Some good insights about our relationship with money, but overall a self-indulgent treatise. Read if you're trying to justify why you should buy yet another 18th century side desk or sailing lessons or if you feel guilty about having inherited a large sum of money from mom and dad.
Frankminor
Sep 21, 2014 Frankminor rated it really liked it
Shelves: useful
Every time I turned to a new page I had a new realization. It made me stuck in this new dimensions of wisdom that led me to new spiritual thinking of life that's correlates to money.
Humans are running after their happiness all the time. But we are taught from media,schools,society etc that money equates happiness. Yes money can give you happiness, securities and so on but it also comes with many other factors that could be negative side of a healthy life.
People rarely sat down and taught: Why
Annemieke Windt
Feb 19, 2014 Annemieke Windt rated it liked it
For me, this month the focus is on the way I handle money, which, if I am honest could be better. It has something to do with delaying gratification. So this was also the month when I would finally read John Armstrong's How to Worry Less about Money, again a book in the School of Life Series.
Again the book touches on a number of issues such as the perceived lack of money we feel when we compare out situation with more fortunate people. It's not really an How to book in many ways, Armstrong uses
Leo Africanus
Dec 20, 2014 Leo Africanus rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
An absorbing treatise on dealing not with money troubles (eg debt) but money worries. The latter are the symptoms of our complex relationships with money that are often inculcated from early childhood.

According to the author, fundamentally "money, stripped back, is just a means of exchange. In other words money is an instrument...ultimately the task in life is to translate efforts and activities that are inherently worthwhile into possessions and experiences that are themselves of lasting and t
Marie Choi
Oct 24, 2014 Marie Choi rated it it was amazing
Samiya Lang
Dec 30, 2015 Samiya Lang rated it really liked it
I really liked this book as it gave me a very fresh perspective on money. I really recommend this book if you want to have a different view about money. My favorite part of it was about how one views money as a end rather than a means which can cause many issues. I found that to be really enlightening and pertained to me quite a bit. The other thing I wanted to say was that some people are commenting about how it's not a book for the poor. The book does address it at the beginning stating it ...more
Annihillia

Offers some practical tips for thinking about money in a more healthy way. I liked its relatively philosophical approach of handling money concerns though it can also be classified a self-help book. Plus, it seemed it addressed the concerns of the wealthy more. It says "don't hate the wealthy or "don't have a categorically negative view on possessing money" but "be able to differentiate between a respectable and an irresponsible wealthiness because a person should follow goodness in his/her deed
Kerry
Aug 21, 2012 Kerry rated it liked it
There is some real food for thought here, and I was amazed to find some of my main issues met head on. And I’d never have thought that one can approach the tedious but task of financial record-keeping from angles of poetry and philosophy. An essential read for anyone who feels gloomily that they’ll never have enough.

I also like that author is not shy about bringing up his own vulnerabilities. It puts him on the same footing as us, rather than talking down to us. I found myself wondering what Hel
Ciana Dalano
Jan 04, 2014 Ciana Dalano rated it liked it
loved the discussion of Virgil dignifying monotonous tasks. also the whole section on the relationship between money and flourishing. "Flourishing captures what we actually aspire to: the best use of our capacities and abilities; involvement in things we take to be worthwhile; the formation and expression of one's best self". I could have done with less information about the author's personal life, though he was brave to share. this is candid philosophy. the first School of Life book I've read, ...more
Rajesh Mehar
Apr 11, 2014 Rajesh Mehar rated it really liked it
This book articulates thoughts and ideas around money in a lucid and systematic way. Vague feelings that I had about money and my relationship with it were crystalised to firm concepts thanks to the ideas in this book. My only area of skepticism are in the portions of the book that discuss whether money is inherently good or evil. I feel that the author could have followed each idea to its logical conclusion rather than taking the easy way out and saying: money is itself neither good nor evil.
Doug Newdick
Jul 19, 2013 Doug Newdick rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Another book in the school of life series, this gives great advice about how to think about money, yourself, and your relationship to money in a way that should result in you worrying less about them. I particularly liked the practical advice about understanding yourself, and your needs and your reactions to money. As the cover says, cheaper and cooler than therapy.
Jane Baker
Jul 31, 2016 Jane Baker rated it liked it
Taking a break from money books to read a philosophy book on money. It's a good read that makes you think of your attitude to money. I do worry about it so it was written for me. Armstrong is clever and personable.
Dartaniel
Jul 10, 2013 Dartaniel rated it liked it
Armstrong makes the distinction between money concerns and money troubles and dynamically addresses the former. Anyone who is interested in finance, philosophy and anxiety reduction should have a look.
Emma Kwee
Feb 11, 2016 Emma Kwee rated it really liked it
My first time exploring the work of another modern philosopher, John Armstrong. What valuable insights, though some lessons were reminiscent to that of alain de botton's Status Anxiety. Would be zapping relevant chapters before returning this lil gem back to the library :D
Dan
Dec 24, 2015 Dan rated it it was amazing
Worthy of the master de Botton himself. A thousand directions in which to think anew about what is present every day. Contains a jarring (to me) reference to the Boston Consulting Group.
Ahmad Alkouh
Dec 20, 2013 Ahmad Alkouh rated it it was amazing
After finishing the book you will question all your belives about money and your continouse need for it. It is well written and very simple language.
Peter Hall
Aug 23, 2013 Peter Hall rated it liked it
Worth a read and a few useful thoughts but for me fell between practical and profound and missed both.
Gustavo Salaiz
Jan 22, 2014 Gustavo Salaiz rated it really liked it
A great book to understand our relationship with the money, the anecdotes help to understand the concepts developed in the book.
Mark McKenny
Feb 22, 2014 Mark McKenny rated it it was ok
Not as good. Didn't teach the poor, only the rich/average. Treated the poor as if 'why would they even be reading?'
Deb Oestreicher
Jun 03, 2016 Deb Oestreicher rated it really liked it
This got better the more I read: a truly philosophical book about money. So it is really about how we THINK about money rather than what we do with it. Very thoughtful with several useful insights.
Leo Robertson
Oct 01, 2014 Leo Robertson rated it liked it
Some good tips for changing your attitude to money :) not many books left to read in my Toolkit for Life!
Anna
Jan 17, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Wow. Love this book. A philosopher's perspective. The only book about money I've ever thoroughly enjoyed.
Tara
May 20, 2013 Tara marked it as to-read
Shelves: pay-yourself
Recommended by Brain Pickings: http://www.brainpickings.org/index.ph...
an nhu
Sep 28, 2015 an nhu rated it liked it
It was not as captivating as the How to think about exercise book.
Well, I think everybody has his/her own rules and methods when dealing with money.
Thomas Green
Nov 20, 2015 Thomas Green rated it liked it
Not very practical. Read this if money isn't actually a problem in your life and you want to be entertained.
Victoria
Apr 09, 2015 Victoria rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
Stating the obvious in most cases, in regards to greed envy wants needs and unfairness in this world. Decent summary.
Oliver
Oliver rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2014
  • How to Thrive in the Digital Age
  • How to Change the World
  • How To Find Fulfilling Work
  • How to Stay Sane
  • How to Think More About Sex
  • Running with the Pack
  • How to Develop Emotional Health (School of Life)
  • The Shrink and the Sage: A Guide to Modern Dilemmas
  • How to Deal with Adversity
  • How to Connect with Nature (School of Life)
  • Don't Go Back to School: A Handbook for Learning Anything
  • Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison
  • How to Think About Exercise
  • The Meaning of Things: Applying Philosophy to Life
  • How to Age
  • How to Be Alone
  • Self-Healing with Reiki: How to Create Wholeness, Harmony & Balance for Body, Mind & Spirit
  • A History of Reading
John Armstrong is a British philosopher living in Melbourne, Australia. He was born 1966 in Glasgow and worked as a research fellow at the University of London. Armstrong works currently as the Philosopher-in-Residence at the Melbourne Business School at the Melbourne University. He is author of several books on philosophical themes.
More about John Armstrong...

The School of Life (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • How To Find Fulfilling Work
  • How to Stay Sane
  • How to Thrive in the Digital Age
  • How to Think More About Sex
  • How to Change the World
  • How to Be Alone
  • How to Age
  • How to Develop Emotional Health (School of Life)
  • How to Deal with Adversity
  • How to Connect with Nature (School of Life)

“One’s relationship with money is lifelong, it colors one’s sense of identity, it shapes one’s attitude to other people, it connects and splits generations; money is the arena in which greed and generosity are played out, in which wisdom is exercised and folly committed. Freedom, desire, power, status, work, possession: these huge ideas that rule life are enacted, almost always, in and around money.” 2 likes