Start by marking “Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia” as Want to Read:
Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia

Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #7)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  2,543 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Housemaid Amelia is sent to school principal with message that teacher will be late, but Mr Carter mistakenly gives her list for substitute teacher. Call the roll. Sing a song. Run, run, run. Plant bulbs. She buys lightbulbs, and screws up all the list. For math, she takes them home for a bushel of apples. Her surprise makes everybody happy at the end.
Published June 29th 2004 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1977)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyJunie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business by Barbara ParkJunie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren by Barbara ParkJunie B. Jones Is a Graduation Girl by Barbara Park
Good Books For Anyone
39th out of 62 books — 66 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Books Ever for anyone
86th out of 173 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie Urton
SUMMARY:
Amelia Bedelia is mistaken by the principal as the substitute teacher, and he puts her in charge of the class for the day. Amelia follows the list of events that the class' regular teacher has left for her. Amelia takes everything very literally, which makes for a fun and interesting day for the students. Besides calling out "role," planting (light) bulbs, and singing to her hearts content, Amelia leads the students to her boss' home where they have an apple chase, before Mr. and Mrs. Ro
Jessica Cain
Summary and Critique:
A missunderstanding lands Amelia in a classroom full of eager-to-learn elementary school students. They absolutely love her and all the weird ways that she does things such as roll call. She takes the students on a surprise field trip and the kids have such an amazing day with her that they beg for her to come back and teach them again. This book was humorous and an easy fun read.

Classroom Use: This would be the perfect book to teach primary students how to do a good summary
Halah
OMG AMELIA BEDELIA !!!
Christina
Book #22 for 2012

This week I began volunteering for the children's summer literacy program at one of the local trailer parks. There is a time each day for silent reading, and I had planned to read one of the books I had downloaded onto my phone's e-readers while the students were reading books they had selected. My phone was being uncooperative, though, so I plucked this book off the shelf.

It took me all of 15 minutes to zip through, and it was fairly entertaining in spots. I might have given i
Jordon Worley
As a child, I loved the Amelia Bedelia books. Having not read this one before, I decided I would try it out and I was not disappointed. In the book Teach Us Amelia Bedelia, a new teacher is stuck at the airport and will be late for class. As Amelia goes to the principal's office to relay the message, she ends up being the teacher for the class. As usual, she takes everything very literally and ends up doing a bunch of silly things. By the time the new teacher shows up, the children have gone hom ...more
Jeremy
As per usual, Ms. Bedelia's actions raise more questions than answers. One can't help but wonder at her upbringing. Were her parents sociological experimentalists, instructing her to process all concepts in as literal a manner as possible? Or perhaps it began with her grandparents, the elder Bedelias, who passed a penchant for admittedly amusing but ultimately tragic malapropisms on to their children, and on and on down the line until we arrive here, at "Teach Us Amelia Bedelia". Teach us, indee ...more
Christy
This was one of my favorite books growing up. As I was reading this book I remembered why. This book is very funny and fun for all ages.

A Amelia is substitute teacher, and as she is getting ready for the class she is planning some pretty crazy things. She is teaching a class who at first is a little much, but we know she is able to do anything. She manages to make the class enjoy learning with her wacky things she plans. This is a great book to read to your class. They will love to laugh about
Kaethe
This was the PandBat's homework. I'm not sure if she's supposed to be reading it all herself, but 54 pages is still a bit daunting, so the Possum and I took turns reading with her. If the reading goes too slowly, because of sounding out words and so forth, she starts to lose track of the plot and the humor.

Plus, reading aloud is a skill I'd like both of the Offspring to develop.
Rosa Cline
Amelia Bedelia looks at things quite literally so when she accidentally gets to substitude teach she takes the things on the list for the students to do quite different than they are used to. They have fun at all the mishaps and different things they do. Amelia Bedelia will never fail to bring a smile to a child's face as they listen-read about her!
Mmouse
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
Victoria Drob
Julia, 7yo: I liked this book because it was very funny. It was very funny because Amelia Bedelia didn't understand when her list said "call the roll in class," she called a bread roll! My favorite part in the story was when Amelia Badelia made the children do their math problems.
Erin Lynn
Oh my goodness.

As a substitute, I really enjoyed this book. It was hysterical. Now I don't take everything literally like Amelia, but sometimes, teachers leave some wacky plans.

It was fun to read to my preschoolers. They liked it. I liked it. It was a win/win.
Sarah Jost
I love Amelia Bedelia books, they are silly and kids love them! This book tells the adventure of Amelia as she ends up in a classroom teaching and all the silly things she misunderstands. This would be a great read aloud book in a young classroom.
Megan Mccormick
I grew up reading Amelia Bedelia, so I love these books. its great to introduce a young child to this series and it opens up a door to many other different books that they can read. I would love top share this series with my students in hope they get as excited as I did as a child.
Yuina Kawase
Date: April/18/2013
Time: 60 minutes
Level: 2 (high-interest story for developing readers)

1. 7-word summary
telephone, teacher, school, children, song, jumping rope, taffy apples

2. Impressive sentence/comment
"I do love children."
Amelia Bedeliia seemed to like children and teaching them by reading the sentence. I also like teaching children English. I'd like to be such a good teacher like her. If I would be a teacher, I would do love children as well.

3. Discussion Question
Q: If you would be a te
Kirsten Blau
I am still laughing from reading this book. This books involves two things that I enjoy, Amelia Bedelia and teaching. I like that Amelia Bedelia takes everything literally. Amelia Bedelia takes simple instruction and turns them into something more interesting. I can't help but enjoy this book no matter how many times I read it. I remember when I was first introduced to these books in the third grade and I found them hilarious. To this day Amelia Bedelia is one of my favorites!
Sydney Foster
This book was so funny! She was mistaken as the teacher and taught everyone idioms. She took everything so serious instead of figuratively. This book left me laughing the whole time I read it.
Mckenzie Koch
I thought this book was the funniest thing ever. It is also a good way to teach kids about idioms. It shows how she takes the sayings literally rather than figuratively.
Johara Almogbel
One of my favorites, mostly because it taught me what a bulb (the garden variety) was. Also, I've had a craving for taffy apple ever since I first read it.
Edward Creter
In this one Amelia gets to sub-teach some unruly kids. And with a little of her scatterbrained magic she and the class have a lotta fun together. So do we.
Laura Mincey
The famous Amelia Bedilia returns in this book as a subsitute teacher for an elementary school classroom. Just like in her first book, Amelia gets a lot of her directions mixed up. She and her class do all kinds of mixed up things throughout the day of school because Amelia hasn't quite mastered that sometimes words that sound the same have two different meanings--this is why this is a great lesson to teach on homophones! Amelia and her class do things such as plant light bulbs in pots rather th ...more
Gitty Mandel
It's a funny book about when she was going to teach a school but then she came home and brought everyone cupcakes.
Emkoshka
Nothing's ever boring when Amelia Bedelia is around; this time, she takes over as substitute teacher and teaches the kids a lesson or two about how to make learning inadvertently fun. They're a bit mean though to go along with all the bizarre things she does without correcting her. Funny enough, a few days after I read this book, I walked past a house where someone had planted a light bulb in a planter box. Awesome! I also loved her attitude to maths problems involving apples being taken away: ' ...more
Maggie Marceau
I thought it was REALLY FUNNY! and I read it six times yesterday HA HA HA HA HA
Sharon
This book is ideal for grades 2 &3. This is a great story that a child can read aloud to a parent or to an adult or their peers. It is a humorous and fun story that contains simple language, simply sentences, and great vocabulary. In this story, Amelia is confused for the new teacher and oh the silly things she teaches these students. For instance, she teaches the students to plant bulbs and she tells students to literally get apples for a story problem involving subtraction of apples. This ...more
Elizabeth Whitlow
I really like this series. This book was silly and classic Amelia Bedelia.
Mee
May 08, 2010 Mee added it
Shelves: i-can-read-2
学校にやってくる先生がおくれてしまい Mrs. Rogers が迎えに行っている間、なぜか Amelia が代理の先生をすることになってしまいました。
Amelia は教室でいろいろな言葉をまちがえてしまい、授業をめちゃくちゃにしてしまいます。わたしが一番おもしろいと思ったところは、Amelia が bulb を球根ではなく電球だとまちがえてしまい子供たちに電球を植えさせたことです。他にも play を劇ではなく遊ぶことだとまちがえてしまいました。
また、算数の文章題に出てきたりんごを子供たちが持っていないので、Mr. Rogers の庭でりんご狩りをして、子供たちにそのりんごの取り合いをさせてしまいました。そして、りんごあめを作り子供たちに1本ずつあげて、学校は終わっていないのに家に帰してしまいました。
そこに Mrs. Rogers と Miss Reed(先生)がやってきて Amelia をしかりますが、Amelia の作ったりんごあめがおいしかったので、2人とも喜んで終わりました。
この Amelia シリーズは、Amelia が言葉の意味をまちがえていろいろな失敗をしてしま
An Odd1

Arithmetic problems assign four apples to Ginny. Paul takes away two. Amelia takes the class home to the Rogers' house for a bushel of fruit. (view spoiler) At the end her surprise cooking sooth
Amar Pai
It's kind of weird giving a rating to this book, because I'm rating it from the perspective of a parent reading the book to their 3 1/2 year old kid, when clearly it's meant to be read BY a 5 year old kid. Maybe a 5 year old would give this 5 stars. But, as a parent I gotta say this is WAY too long. It's like 50+ pages! While the basic premise (Amelia doesn't get figures of speech and takes instructions literally; comedic chaos ensues; in the end people forgive her cos she's such a good cook) is ...more
Malbadeen
I don't remember much about grade school. I seem to recall learning that it's not proper to stand up during circle time, hike up your skirt and pull your tights comfortably up to your belly button, maybe I peed during a film strip in first grade and I do recall a VERY long unit on photosynthesis (spelled without the use of a dictionary, thank you very much Miss. Wilcox) BUT I do remember reading lots of Amelia Bedelia and thinking she was the heigt of comedic genius.
So once again Lisa, 5 stars
  • Bravo, Amelia Bedelia!
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • Arthur's Reading Race
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • Stone Soup
  • Madeline In America And Other Holiday Tales
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia
  • Amelia Bedelia Helps Out
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Baby
  • Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping
  • Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia
Amelia Bedelia Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower Come Back, Amelia Bedelia Amelia Bedelia Helps Out Good Work, Amelia Bedelia