Start by marking “Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia” as Want to Read:
Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia

Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #7)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  3,075 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Housemaid Amelia is sent to school principal with message that teacher will be late, but Mr Carter mistakenly gives her list for substitute teacher. Call the roll. Sing a song. Run, run, run. Plant bulbs. She buys lightbulbs, and screws up all the list. For math, she takes them home for a bushel of apples. Her surprise makes everybody happy at the end.
Published June 29th 2004 by Harpercollins (first published 1977)

Halah
Mar 27, 2016 Halah rated it it was amazing
OMG AMELIA BEDELIA !!!
Kimberlee Gutterman
I really enjoy how Amelia is portrayed as a very literal person and almost sarcastic in her actions because I find this to be really funny and actually quite relate-able sometimes and I think a lot of children who read this would agree. This book is realistic fiction because the events that take place could've happened in real life but it is also transitional because it is a book for children to are new to reading or who are not very good at reading yet. When Amelia Bedelia is mistakenly given t ...more
Ashleigh Wolfe
Oct 16, 2016 Ashleigh Wolfe rated it did not like it
Literal Amelia Bedilia. Not the best out of all of the other ones.
Megan Cureton
Amelia Bedelia lands herself in a classroom because the new school teacher's plane is late. Amelia has never taught before, so she starts by reading the sheet left for her. The first thing she reads is take roll, so she asks the students who has a roll. Amelia goes on to take everything on the sheet literally, and not in means of education. Amelia even plants light bulbs in pots of soil because it said to plant bulbs. At the end of the day, it was math time, and Amelia was supposed to read math ...more
Stina
Jun 20, 2012 Stina rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished-in-2012
Book #22 for 2012

This week I began volunteering for the children's summer literacy program at one of the local trailer parks. There is a time each day for silent reading, and I had planned to read one of the books I had downloaded onto my phone's e-readers while the students were reading books they had selected. My phone was being uncooperative, though, so I plucked this book off the shelf.

It took me all of 15 minutes to zip through, and it was fairly entertaining in spots. I might have given i
Jeremy
Jul 19, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
As per usual, Ms. Bedelia's actions raise more questions than answers. One can't help but wonder at her upbringing. Were her parents sociological experimentalists, instructing her to process all concepts in as literal a manner as possible? Or perhaps it began with her grandparents, the elder Bedelias, who passed a penchant for admittedly amusing but ultimately tragic malapropisms on to their children, and on and on down the line until we arrive here, at "Teach Us Amelia Bedelia". Teach us, indee ...more
Jordon Worley
Oct 04, 2012 Jordon Worley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-to-read
As a child, I loved the Amelia Bedelia books. Having not read this one before, I decided I would try it out and I was not disappointed. In the book Teach Us Amelia Bedelia, a new teacher is stuck at the airport and will be late for class. As Amelia goes to the principal's office to relay the message, she ends up being the teacher for the class. As usual, she takes everything very literally and ends up doing a bunch of silly things. By the time the new teacher shows up, the children have gone hom ...more
Katie Urton
Jun 10, 2014 Katie Urton rated it liked it
SUMMARY:
Amelia Bedelia is mistaken by the principal as the substitute teacher, and he puts her in charge of the class for the day. Amelia follows the list of events that the class' regular teacher has left for her. Amelia takes everything very literally, which makes for a fun and interesting day for the students. Besides calling out "role," planting (light) bulbs, and singing to her hearts content, Amelia leads the students to her boss' home where they have an apple chase, before Mr. and Mrs. Ro
Jessica Cain
Dec 09, 2014 Jessica Cain rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-307, comedy, humor
Summary and Critique:
A missunderstanding lands Amelia in a classroom full of eager-to-learn elementary school students. They absolutely love her and all the weird ways that she does things such as roll call. She takes the students on a surprise field trip and the kids have such an amazing day with her that they beg for her to come back and teach them again. This book was humorous and an easy fun read.

Classroom Use: This would be the perfect book to teach primary students how to do a good summary
Yuina Kawase
Apr 21, 2013 Yuina Kawase rated it it was amazing
Date: April/18/2013
Time: 60 minutes
Level: 2 (high-interest story for developing readers)

1. 7-word summary
telephone, teacher, school, children, song, jumping rope, taffy apples

2. Impressive sentence/comment
"I do love children."
Amelia Bedeliia seemed to like children and teaching them by reading the sentence. I also like teaching children English. I'd like to be such a good teacher like her. If I would be a teacher, I would do love children as well.

3. Discussion Question
Q: If you would be a te
Laura Mincey
Mar 10, 2011 Laura Mincey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous, homophones
The famous Amelia Bedilia returns in this book as a subsitute teacher for an elementary school classroom. Just like in her first book, Amelia gets a lot of her directions mixed up. She and her class do all kinds of mixed up things throughout the day of school because Amelia hasn't quite mastered that sometimes words that sound the same have two different meanings--this is why this is a great lesson to teach on homophones! Amelia and her class do things such as plant light bulbs in pots rather th ...more
Mmouse
Jan 08, 2014 Mmouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
An Odd1
Dec 21, 2014 An Odd1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun

Arithmetic problems assign four apples to Ginny. Paul takes away two. Amelia takes the class home to the Rogers' house for a bushel of fruit. (view spoiler) At the end her surprise cooking sooth
Amar Pai
Sep 11, 2016 Amar Pai rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
It's kind of weird giving a rating to this book, because I'm rating it from the perspective of a parent reading the book to their 3 1/2 year old kid, when clearly it's meant to be read BY a 5 year old kid. Maybe a 5 year old would give this 5 stars. But, as a parent I gotta say this is WAY too long. It's like 50+ pages! While the basic premise (Amelia doesn't get figures of speech and takes instructions literally; comedic chaos ensues; in the end people forgive her cos she's such a good cook) is ...more
Sharon
This book is ideal for grades 2 &3. This is a great story that a child can read aloud to a parent or to an adult or their peers. It is a humorous and fun story that contains simple language, simply sentences, and great vocabulary. In this story, Amelia is confused for the new teacher and oh the silly things she teaches these students. For instance, she teaches the students to plant bulbs and she tells students to literally get apples for a story problem involving subtraction of apples. This ...more
Malbadeen
Aug 01, 2007 Malbadeen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember much about grade school. I seem to recall learning that it's not proper to stand up during circle time, hike up your skirt and pull your tights comfortably up to your belly button, maybe I peed during a film strip in first grade and I do recall a VERY long unit on photosynthesis (spelled without the use of a dictionary, thank you very much Miss. Wilcox) BUT I do remember reading lots of Amelia Bedelia and thinking she was the heigt of comedic genius.
So once again Lisa, 5 stars
Emkoshka
Nothing's ever boring when Amelia Bedelia is around; this time, she takes over as substitute teacher and teaches the kids a lesson or two about how to make learning inadvertently fun. They're a bit mean though to go along with all the bizarre things she does without correcting her. Funny enough, a few days after I read this book, I walked past a house where someone had planted a light bulb in a planter box. Awesome! I also loved her attitude to maths problems involving apples being taken away: ' ...more
Aranruth
Sep 02, 2015 Aranruth rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When the new teacher’s plane is delayed, the very literal-minded Amelia Bedelia ends up acting as substitute when she goes to tell the principal. Amelia and her class must call the roll, plant bulbs, paint a picture and practice their play, but none of this is done in the traditional way.
This early reader is suitable for children who are comfortable reading alone, with its longer text and smaller pictures. It is still humorous, despite its age, and helps introduce some abstract thinking concept
Christy
Sep 02, 2014 Christy rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books growing up. As I was reading this book I remembered why. This book is very funny and fun for all ages.

A Amelia is substitute teacher, and as she is getting ready for the class she is planning some pretty crazy things. She is teaching a class who at first is a little much, but we know she is able to do anything. She manages to make the class enjoy learning with her wacky things she plans. This is a great book to read to your class. They will love to laugh about
Mee
May 08, 2010 Mee added it
Shelves: i-can-read-2
学校にやってくる先生がおくれてしまい Mrs. Rogers が迎えに行っている間、なぜか Amelia が代理の先生をすることになってしまいました。
Amelia は教室でいろいろな言葉をまちがえてしまい、授業をめちゃくちゃにしてしまいます。わたしが一番おもしろいと思ったところは、Amelia が bulb を球根ではなく電球だとまちがえてしまい子供たちに電球を植えさせたことです。他にも play を劇ではなく遊ぶことだとまちがえてしまいました。
また、算数の文章題に出てきたりんごを子供たちが持っていないので、Mr. Rogers の庭でりんご狩りをして、子供たちにそのりんごの取り合いをさせてしまいました。そして、りんごあめを作り子供たちに1本ずつあげて、学校は終わっていないのに家に帰してしまいました。
そこに Mrs. Rogers と Miss Reed(先生)がやってきて Amelia をしかりますが、Amelia の作ったりんごあめがおいしかったので、2人とも喜んで終わりました。
この Amelia シリーズは、Amelia が言葉の意味をまちがえていろいろな失敗をしてしま
Kim
Mar 31, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amelia Bedelia was so much fun to read. The way she interprets what people say to her, and in writing are comical. I can see why my nieces loved this series. I could not put this down until I found out what she was going to do next. I am sure that every student would LOVE to have Amelia as their substitute teacher everyday. I will include this series to my classroom library as well. The illustrations are so well done, and just compliment the story.
Kirsten Blau
Sep 22, 2014 Kirsten Blau rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I am still laughing from reading this book. This books involves two things that I enjoy, Amelia Bedelia and teaching. I like that Amelia Bedelia takes everything literally. Amelia Bedelia takes simple instruction and turns them into something more interesting. I can't help but enjoy this book no matter how many times I read it. I remember when I was first introduced to these books in the third grade and I found them hilarious. To this day Amelia Bedelia is one of my favorites!
Denesha Allen
Nov 15, 2012 Denesha Allen rated it liked it
This book was so fun for me to read. I think all Amelia Bedelia books are fun and witty. This book could be used in the classroom for students to read while visiting the reading center. Literally, in my 1st and 2nd grade placements the students laugh out loud when reading Amelia Bedelia books. It's something about those books that captures childrens' attention. The illustrations are also wonderful.
Lauren
Dec 05, 2010 Lauren rated it it was ok
This book would make a fun read aloud with the children because they will love the funny things Amelia Bedelia does. It is also a good first day of school introduction to how the classroom with work. This book could be used as a read aloud for K-1st grade.
It is also a nice silent reading book, but for a higher level simply because of the length. I would recommend it for a high first grade-low third grade.
Elisa
Feb 18, 2016 Elisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-myself
Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia is about this woman named Amelia Bedelia that had to be a substitute teacher for a day.

I really liked it because the Amelia Bedelia books are usually about her doing her to-do lists wrong or completely opposite of what they mean. When told to call roll in class, Amelia Bedelia yelled 'Roll' instead of calling all the kids names.

I only have 3 of the Amelia book series but I plan to read more.

(Dictated by Dad)

Hillary
Oct 02, 2012 Hillary rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-readers
In this easy reader, Amelia Bedelia is at it again. She is sent to the school to deliver a message and she ends up teaching the class. She follows the list of things to do, literally. The children end up at Rogers' house eating taffy apples. This book contains a nice mix of text and illustrations, with three to five words per line.
Kokoro
Sep 29, 2011 Kokoro rated it it was amazing
Amelia Bedelia is nice&funny.Amelia teach students this time.Science time.List said "Each of you should plant a bulb."Bulb is not "light bulb". But, Amelia deluded. Amelia plant light bulb!
Mr and Mrs.Rogers,Miss Read came back. They got angry. But, finally they ate Amelia's taffy apples. And They smiled.
S.j.reads
Apr 02, 2012 S.j.reads rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of most Amelia Bedelia books, but this one I did not like. I know Amelia takes things literally, but this made her seem less intelligent than normal. I don't mind the fantastical, unrealistic things she normally does, but this one just bugged me. Also, the girls seemed to lose interest in the story and wouldn't sit still for the entire story.
Cathy Smith
Aug 14, 2015 Cathy Smith rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I'm not sure I'd want her as a teacher, but she could be a great playground teacher or coach! Amelia Bedelia doesn't have the slightest clue what to do with the kids at school, but they still have fun. When she takes it home and Mr. Rogers acts like the kids, it becomes quite funny! A great book for all the kids out there, big or small!
Rosa Cline
Apr 01, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Amelia Bedelia looks at things quite literally so when she accidentally gets to substitude teach she takes the things on the list for the students to do quite different than they are used to. They have fun at all the mishaps and different things they do. Amelia Bedelia will never fail to bring a smile to a child's face as they listen-read about her!
  • Bravo, Amelia Bedelia!
  • Madeline In America And Other Holiday Tales
  • Henry and Mudge and Mrs. Hopper's House
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat (I Can Read Level 1)
  • Uncle Elephant
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia
  • Thank You, Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Book Level 2)
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower