Start by marking “Julio's Day” as Want to Read:
Julio's Day

Julio's Day (Love and Rockets)

It begins in the year 1900, with the scream of a newborn. It ends, 100 pages later, in the year 2000, with the death rattle of a 100-year-old man. The infant and the old man are both Julio, and Gilbert Hernandez's Julio's Day (originally serialized in Love and Rockets Vol. II but never completed until now) is his latest graphic novel, a masterpiece of elliptical, emotional ...more
Published April 20th 2013 by Fantagraphics (first published January 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Julio's Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julio's Day

Sam Quixote
Dec 06, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
Gilbert Hernandez’s latest comic, Julio’s Day, tells the story of Julio, a Mexican gay man born in 1900 and who dies in 2000, and takes the format of telling the 100 year life of Julio in 100 pages. The book follows the lives of Julio and his family, and his friends and acquaintances that make up the small town they live in and how their lives change over the course of growing up alongside the major events of the 20th century. It’s a deep, complex, and absolutely captivating story filled with ...more
Lily Kauffman
Dec 24, 2013 Lily Kauffman rated it liked it
The blue worms parts really freaked me out. If you want to save yourself time-and personal embarrassment-don't bother googling blue worms. It's not a real thing-according to my extensive internet research (google.)
Kris Marley Patrick
Dec 22, 2013 Kris Marley Patrick rated it did not like it
Nice reminder that I never would have lasted a week in Art School. Not that I can't appreciate Julio's design merit, but I have no idea why critics call the artistic storytelling perfection.
If a family tree at the beginning of a book typically indicates that you might have a hard time keeping tracking of the characters, I guess a family tree with five drawn depictions (at different ages) of the each characters is a sign you might as well not even try.
David Schaafsma
Nov 30, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Junot Diaz says this is a masterpiece, and I figure he, the writer of masterpieces, would know, so I picked it up just as it came brand new into our library and read it yesterday. The concept is a kind of challenge he would seem to have made to himself: in exactly 100 pages, tell the life of one ordinary man, born in 1900 and died in 2000, and in the process humanize him, make him come alive, make readers care about him, and to boot: in true novel fashion, make us care about the people and ...more
Norman Kim
Feb 13, 2016 Norman Kim rated it it was amazing
Got much much better as the story unfolded. Predicted I was going to hate it the first twentyish pages. Turned around completely once Sofia has her Julio child.

So many intricate details weaving in and out I thought I would lose track, but surprisingly everything made sense. The concept of time and death wanders around much like that kid who left his family, and thus Julio's 100 years seems more of a singular story rather than an entire life, which is brilliant storytelling. The blue worms stuff
James Schneider
Jan 03, 2014 James Schneider rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and perfect masterpiece. I've always admired and respected Gilbert Hernandez, but this is the first work of his that engaged me on a deep emotional level. Sparse and vast, wise and humble, this may be my favorite book of the year.
Sonic
Aug 20, 2015 Sonic rated it liked it
Did not care for this one as much as most of this genius's other works.

The super-choppy editing style made the story-line seem fragmented and almost incoherent.

Andy Zell
Oct 01, 2016 Andy Zell rated it really liked it
Julio’s Day by Gilbert Hernandez is a fascinating look at one man’s life and the life of a century in a graphic novel that is exactly 100 pages long. Julio himself lives to be 100, born in 1900 and dying in 2000. The story of the century is also there, but the focus is on Julio and his family and friends. It begins in blackness, and then we see Julio’s open crying mouth; it ends in the same open mouth and blackness when he dies. The artwork, done in black and white, is somewhat cartoony, but ...more
Ademption
Dec 03, 2013 Ademption rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Gilbert Hernandez is back! Julio's Day is written in Palomar mode: multi-generational southwestern family epics, characters with variations of the same name (i.e. Julio, Juan, Julio Juan, etc), brutal twists of fate, hidden love, dark secrets, violence, sex, international politics affecting small town life. This isn't Palomar, but it shares a similar One Hundred Years of Solitude feel, except where Gabby Marquez is precious and depressive, Hernandez is more violent, twisted and existential.

Here
Maria Ella
Apr 01, 2015 Maria Ella rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tricia
Recommended to Maria Ella by: Junot Diaz
So quiet and so subtle but very captivating. The premise of presenting a Saga - a story spanning a hundred years - is so amusing especially if it is only via 100 pages.

The culture and the history is presented with few speech bubbles, and some of the scenes does not make any sense, but that is also true with culture and history and life in general. You do not need speech bubbles to tell everything. You see the plot and its development amd conclusion in these black and white sketches.

On a persona
Yolanda
Sep 15, 2013 Yolanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I was very confused -- because I went straight into the novel without reading the introduction -- but as I read on I picked up the movement quickly and I completely indulged the story and the progress of Julio's life. I was very eager to know what would happen and where everyone would end up. It's absolutely compelling and warm from page to page. I really love it; I read it in 2 hours. I was left thinking about it and exploring its contents afterwards, even now. It struck a definite interest ...more
Elizabeth A
Mar 30, 2014 Elizabeth A rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2014
Book blurb: It begins in the year 1900, with the scream of a newborn. It ends, 100 pages later, in the year 2000, with the death rattle of a 100-year-old man. The infant and the old man are both Julio.

This graphic novel covers 100 years of history in 100 pages, and is done in an interesting manner: the juxtaposition of personal lives against historical/global events. All things do not make sense in the end, but that is kinda like life no? Why did Julio's father go walkabout? Threads merge and di
Sitanan Ketkraipob
Sep 07, 2016 Sitanan Ketkraipob rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking
Joe
Jun 13, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it
Another stunning piece of work from Beto. In 100 pages he illuminates the life of Julio from birth (1900) to death (2000). There's a wonderful simplicity here (the panels, the language) that hits just the right pacing - just enough information and time spent to allow the reader to develop a true sense of care and concern for Julio and all the characters in this community. It's such a blessing that the Bros Hernandez still put out such quality work.
Dan
May 14, 2014 Dan rated it did not like it
Really disappointed in this. I was hoping for a book about what it is like for Mexican immigrant in the USA. This book was fast paced and minimal dialogue, which ruined this book. All of the characters looked similar,and I can't figure why it is called Julio's Day when it seemed to focus on random people at different times,and not on the main. character. Also there was no separate spots between times,as it just ran on. No chapters or any thing to suggest that so many years had passed.
Julie Rylie
Oct 12, 2015 Julie Rylie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
I loved this graphics... reminded me of David B. and the content reminded me of One Hundred Years of Solitude. Its a story about the day Julio was born until the day he died at the age of 100. And you can see the transformations during that same period and also follow the members of his family.

I wanna read more from this guy... thats for sure.
Xoe
May 26, 2013 Xoe rated it liked it
Disjointed review.

I still don't understand why Julio's father went on that trip.

I don't like the implication that homosexuality is caused by childhood sexual trauma.

This story was quite interesting in scope and style.

P.
Nov 13, 2014 P. rated it really liked it
after I read this I spent a couple minutes googling "blue worm poisioning" in many variations to see if it was actually a thing.
Peter
Dec 13, 2013 Peter rated it it was ok
This was a good novel, but really depressing. Grotesque, droning, and... Yeah. Maybe it wasn't so good.
Martin
May 16, 2014 Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is beautiful. The only disappoint is that, like the lives of his characters, it's over too soon.
Alex
Jun 02, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
Read this sitting in the library. Brilliant and sad depiction of a life. Also has some uplift as one character does actually get out of the cycles.
Monica
Jan 03, 2014 Monica rated it it was amazing
loved it. from beginning to end. one of beto's best.
Palimp
Nov 04, 2016 Palimp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sería complicado decir cuál de los hermanos Hernández me gusta más. Los dos son especialistas en contar historias y contarlas bien. Mostrando, no narrando. Dejando al lector atar los cabos. Sagas familiares, que se extienden en el tiempo, y, sobre todo, de emociones profundas.
Travis
Nov 26, 2016 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A profoundly good book. Sweet. Subtle. Sad. Moving. An excellent read.
Anthony Faber
Oct 14, 2016 Anthony Faber rated it liked it
The life of a man born in 1900 who dies in 2000. At least some of the sections appeared in the "Love and Rockets: New Stories" books.
The_Mad_Swede
Aug 11, 2015 The_Mad_Swede rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 2015
I have been a fan of Gilbert Hernandez ever since I first read the hefty hardcover collection Palomar: The Heartbreak Soup Stories a few years back; so when I stumbled across this relatively shorter piece by him in the library, I could not resist picking it up. And I am glad I did.

Julio's Day is both very typical Gilbert Hernandez, with a focus on place and people, and somewhat different from that previous collection I read. Here we follow Julio from his birth to his death, but the narrative i
Ana
Apr 11, 2015 Ana rated it did not like it
Geesh.
I thought the premise for this title was so interesting. One hundred pages, each one for each year of Julio's life. We get to see Julio grow up and witness 100 years of events, from 1900 to 2000. Except the only reason I know any of this is from the introduction. Yes, some of the events are mentioned, mostly wars, but there's nothing that tells me that he dies at 100 or is born in 1900.

But I suppose if the story itself was interesting, then this omission of detail, only given away in the i
Carol March
Jun 05, 2013 Carol March rated it it was amazing
Julio's Day is a lovely, poignant portrayal of a Hispanic community in the Southwest through the eyes of Julio whom we meet on the day of his birth in 1900. The first panel is the wide open mouth of a baby newly born. Each page of the graphic novel is a year in Julio's life, and through him we experience not only his own life and that of his family, but also the major historical and cultural events of the 20th century. Funny, sad, warm, and difficult, we experience the relationships that Julio ...more
Richard
May 21, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I wonder about whether the things I read count as "books" towards my Goodreads reading challenge. Am I "cheating" if I count novellas? Art books? Slim volumes of poetry? Graphic novels? I usually count the first three, and not the fourth. It's a distinction that only matters to me, of course, but I mention it because I have no such hesitation about Julio's Day.

Not only should it count, it will probably be one of the best books I'll read all year.

Gilbert and Jamie Hernandez have been st
Levi Amichai
As a 100 page graphic novel, this is a quick read. It's hard to rate---I can't say I personally loved it, but it is fairly high in overall quality. Shades of One Hundred Years of Solitude all over, but with more small-town body horror. It's choppy, but a person's life isn't a single story thread. The disjointedness could almost have been a commentary, even as Julio's life is mythologized overall: (view spoiler) ...more
  • Esperanza (Locas, #5)
  • New School
  • The Frank Book
  • Red Handed: The Fine Art of Strange Crimes
  • Susceptible
Gilbert and his brother Jaime Hernández often write together under the name "Los Bros Hernandez".

Gilbert Hernandez, born in 1957, enjoyed a pleasant childhood in Oxnard, California, with four brothers and one sister. In Gilbert’s words, they were “born into a world with comic books in the house.” His childhood enthusiasm for the medium was equaled only by his appetite for punk rock.

Initiated by ol
More about Gilbert Hernández...

Love and Rockets (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 1: Music for Mechanics