Start by marking “Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia” as Want to Read:
Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia

Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #11)

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  2,211 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
On Christmas Eve, Amelia Bedelia has to get the Rogers house ready for a visit from Aunt Myra. But as usual, Amelia takes directions literally and turns the house upside down delicious. Cake has lots of dates. Six cups popcorn for balls, and more for tree. Greet her with carols. Trim tree. String lights. Put a big star on top of the tree.
Published October 1st 2002 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia

Stacy Fetters
Oct 10, 2016 Stacy Fetters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here comes the date cake! My husband and I always joke about this date cake and we could never remember which book Amelia made it and now here we are picking out pieces of calendar out of this cake.
It is my belief that Amelia Bedelia grew up in the prison system, didn't get the education she needed and someone adopted her as an adult to help her out.
Never turn your back on her....
Remember, you're the star on top of the tree! You are!!!
Brenda
Nov 28, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I haven't read many Amelia Bedelia books, well maybe one but I forgot the title. When the Children's Book Group selected Amelia Bedelia for it's November Discussion on "Classic Picture Book Characters" I decided to give this one a go (it was the only one I found in the library.) Boy was I not disappointed and surprised that I had not read more by this author. I love how Amelia Bedelia takes things so literally. I'm still chuckling thinking about the date cake. A really cute book with just the ...more
midnightfaerie
Dec 31, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
An Odd1
Jan 07, 2015 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
I love how housemaid Amelia Bedelia follows instructions exactly. Mrs Rogers leaves a list when she picks up Aunt Myra. Date cake has "lots of dates" p 7, 12 and nuts, "six cups" p 8 popcorn. "greet her with some" "Christmas carols" p 28. "Stuff six stockings" p 30. "Hang the stockings on the mantel" p 34. "Trim the tree" p 37, "put on colored balls" p 38. "String on lots of lights" p 40. My favorite is "Put a big star on top of the tree" p 42. She makes "dozens of popcorn balls" p 46 for the ...more
Jessica Hughes
Oct 27, 2016 Jessica Hughes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-to-read
This was a story that I read over and over myself when I was a young child because I loved it so much. It tells the story of the beloved character, Amelia Bedelia, getting the Rogers' house ready for Christmas, but she once again takes all of Mrs. Rogers' instructions very literally. For example, she makes a date cake with actual dates from a paper calendar inside and literally trims the Christmas tree with clippers. Amelia's oblivious personality makes the story extremely funny for young ...more
Kathy Worrell  ツ
What a cute Christmas story for children.

It's almost like Amelia Bedelia speaks another language.

Pamela
"Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia" by Peggy Parish was a great holiday reason...it serves as a very warm and humourous compliment to the Christmas season. As always, Amelia Bedelia is more than willing to help out for Christmas...anything you need her to do, she's there. She just has her own interpretations of what that help should be.
It's not different in this Christmas read. Amelia Bedelia decorates the tree w/balls(not shiny, Christmas balls, but actual balls like basketballs, footballs, baseb
Alice
Dec 27, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this book comes with a story for me. I locked my keys in my car. I was waiting in the cold for my sister to bring me the spare so I went into Michaels Craft store to shop.

Well, I shopped for an hour, and it took my sister a 1/2 drive to an hour an a half. So I sat next to the register in a wheelchair because that is the only chair they had. I waited and waited.

My friend was a clerk at the store and let me sit in the wheelchair as long as I surrendered it if someone else needed it. So I was
Mmouse
Jan 08, 2014 Mmouse rated it it was amazing
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter. This one was my favorite of the whole series.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved ev
Elizabeth
This is back when Amelia Bedelia was a well meaning but clueless adult- not a teenager. That makes it even more wonderful as allows teachers a chance to use a fun, cute book for different literacy lessons. The descriptive language in the book can be taught so that children know that not everything is meant literally. The reason that Amelia gets into so many problems is because she does take everything literally. This leads to some wonderful problem/solution work for the students to write about. ...more
Rosa Cline
Nov 21, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
Amelia Bedelia books are almost always fun to read. She is a one of a kind maid that takes things literally and often times will do the opposite of what the Rogers' wants her to do. And that goes for getting ready for Christmas! She has her own way of doing things that just adds to the traditions and fun of the holiday! Making everyone be a 'star' This book is a bit longer than other Amelia Bedelia stories but that still doesn't take away from the book. My 2 year old granddaughter sat on my lap ...more
Erika Gregory
Nov 03, 2012 Erika Gregory rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-book
This was one of the first chapter books I read as a child. It was also one of my first absolute favorite series of books. Amelia Bedelia books were absolutely amazing. They were just long enough to practice my reading and comprehension skills, but enjoyable enough to keep my attention the entire time. I also liked how humor was incorporated in. There was always some instance where Amelia took a term that is used as a joke and did it literally. As a child this would make me laugh and even today ...more
Aaron
Jan 22, 2015 Aaron rated it liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Another fun, short book in the series. Amelia Bedelia is helping get ready for a Christmas party. My kids enjoyed it. I would have liked some resolution about the stockings stuffed with stuffing and why Amelia Bedelia doesn't recognize Mr. Rogers dressed like Santa without a beard. But I'm asking too much for a children's book that my children were very attentive for and appreciated the reading of.
Andrea
Nov 26, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alex-books
I remember reading this book while a was just a wee child myself. I thought it was the funniest book I had ever read. Amelia seems to always find another meaning to her instructions and really thinks outside the box. I remember laughing so hard when she makes a date cake out of a cut up calendar and trims the tree by actually cutting it. What hilarious mistakes. This book really resonated with me that I still remember the funny things she did after all these years.
Emiko Miyasato
Nov 11, 2012 Emiko Miyasato rated it really liked it
I spent about 65 minutes fot extensive reading.

summary
christmas, woman, hausekeeper, ask, clazy, santa claus, happy

question
1 When did you find the christmas presents are from the parents?
I realised that santa claus did't exist when I found the letter to santa claus in the closet.

2 Do you usually put the christmas trees in your house?
Yes! There is a big christmas tree in my house. My mother likes decorating the house with christmas.

Mai Kawai
Nov 05, 2012 Mai Kawai rated it really liked it
-AVON BOOKS by PEGGY PARISH
-about 30minutes
-Christmas,cake,nut,calender,popcorn,stocking,santa claus
-Q1:What did Amalia put on the tree?
Q2:What did Amelis put on the top of the tree?

Amelia is very unique character! I love her strange ideas because they are very interesting. Especially, I liked the scene about christmas tree decorations. She put many balls on the tree and mirror on the top of the tree. I was surprised that she put the calender in the cake. Could they eat it:)?
Theresa
Jan 24, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it
Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia
by Peggy Parish
a hilarious story of miss understandings
a great series of mixed up directions and literal meanings, this is a great silly series to show children that mistakes and mix ups are possible if not probable, and that innocence may be more of the reason then meaning to do something wrong/
Lauren
Dec 05, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it
Amelia Bedelia has so much to do before Christmas arrives! Of course Amelia Bedelia can never get things right, but Aunt Myra doesn't seem to mind it so much. Kids get a kick out of all the funny things Amelia Bedelia does (the book will make you hungry for cake though!). Good for intermediate readers.
Kathryn
Dec 31, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Lots of fun! A delightful tale full of Amelia Bedelia's signature misunderstanding and good-humor, this time tied to many Christmas pastimes such as "trimming the tree" and "stuffing the stockings". I thoroughly enjoyed the tale, as will other Amelia Bedelia fans looking to spend a bit of the holidays with this beloved character.
Arthur
Dec 06, 2014 Arthur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Traditional Christmas is a bunk when Amelia Bedelia (I guess the name rhymes) is left in charge of Mrs Rogers house. Amelia was left instructions for how to do certain tasks but funny enough this crazy maid can't figure it all out, let alone it seems what she is doing these for. It would be a fun read to youngsters interested in reading.
Persephone
Jul 16, 2015 Persephone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amelia Bedelia is at it again!
She is up to her usual antics as she
celebrates Christmas with the Roger's family.
This story will have you in stitches in no time.
This book is a must have for any library.
Kalin Schwab
I am not a huge fan of Amelia Bedelia, even when I was young I was wondering, how is this woman still employed? However I see the comedic value for kids. It is illustrated in a way that is both basic, but effective.
Katbyrdie
Dec 05, 2015 Katbyrdie rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, children
When is Mrs. Rogers going to learn?! This is my 2015 family Christmas book. I adore Amelia because she's practical and tries her best. She does what she's told, and she does it damn well! Despite turning thirty next year, I still found myself amused. She is the child in all of us. <3
Jenn
Dec 08, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it
Keeping with Amelia's typical style of confusing expressions, Amelia tackles the Christmas preparation. This book will be fantastic to read to my MH class next week as part of our holiday celebration!
Anna
Dec 20, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
One of the books I am taking to my grandsons this Christmas from my collection.

You gotta love Amelia Bedelia, the literal minded maid. What a fun way to laugh with kids and celebrate the quirks in our wonderful English language!
Melissa
Dec 30, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Amelia Bedelia can make any occasion fun, but her Christmas story is definitely a good read! She is in fine form as usual with her confusion and silliness. Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia will keep the young and old captivated and most definitely entertained!
Cami
Aug 05, 2012 Cami rated it it was amazing
You just have to love Amelia Bedelia! She's up to her literal interpretations, again! My favorite was stuffing the stockings, but the date cake was good, too. Overall, a great read aloud for the whole family!
Danielle
Goofy fun when we get to see the results of Amelia Bedelia's literal interpretations of her employers instructions for decorating and preparing the house for Christmas. Typical Amelia Bedelia hilarity ensues. Not my favorite of these stories, but still fun for young readers.
Laura Carby
This is a great transitional chapter book for beginning readers. It has words and pictures on each page. The students love reading about Amelia Bedelia and her silly ways to do things, in this case, decorating for the Christmas holiday.
Mark Baker
Mar 01, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-book
Fun look at Christmas traditions with Amelia's literal twist. Nothing out of the ordinary for the series, but still fun.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
  • Bravo, Amelia Bedelia!
  • The Berenstain Bears' Christmas Tree
  • Happy Easter, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Mary Engelbreit's A Merry Little Christmas: Celebrate from A to Z
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat (I Can Read Level 1)
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Merry Christmas, Strega Nona
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • The Light of Christmas
  • Clifford's Christmas
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia
  • Amelia Bedelia Helps Out
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Baby
  • Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping

“The door opened.
"We're here," said Mrs. Rogers.
Aunt Myra came in.
"Now!" said Amelia Bedelia.
"Greetings, greetings, greetings,"
said the three children.
"What's that about?" said Mrs. Rogers.
"You said to greet Aunt Myra with Carols," said Amelia Bedelia.
"Here's Carol Lee, Carol Green, and Carol Lake."
"What lovely Carols," said Aunt Myra.
"Thank you.”
4 likes
“Amelia Bedelia," said Mrs. Rogers,
"Christmas is just around the corner."
"It is?" said Amelia Bedelia. "Which corner?"
Mrs. Rogers lauhged and said,
"I mean tomorrow is Christmas Day."
"I know that," said Amelia Bedelia.”
2 likes