Start by marking “Story” as Want to Read:
Story

Story

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Using thirty short, image-based chapters, this book makes the gospel real for a postmodern world and allows readers to meet Christ again or for the very first time.
208 pages
Published February 1st 2006 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Story

TAMMY CUEVAS
Imagine a Story that begins before the Beginning and has no End; that begins in total Darkness and ends with total Light. It's a Story of absolute Love vs. absolute evil; the ultimate "happily ever after", where ever after never ends. It's the Story of Stories, and the beautiful thing is that it's all true.

Steven James has done something no one else has done, to my knowledge, at least. He has taken the Bible and the complete story of Grace and Salvation and told it in story form. Interwoven wit
Tabi Rae
Amazing book! I try to read this once a year, usually during the Easter season, and every time I find something new. It gorgeously illuminates the story of Christ presented in the Bible. Not just the New Testament, but the whole book, because, like the author says, you can't understand the cross until you understand all the things that made it necessary. Such a beautiful story, and such a wonderful way to see it with new eyes. I think sometimes we get so used to God and what He did for us, that ...more
Linda
Steven James, in Story, writes the salvation story through his eyes as a writer and believer from Eden to evermore. You will find the story line to be unique to Steve, yet basically true to the Word. Sometimes he gets you to asking more questions than you had before you opened his book, but that is a good thing, as it stretches your own understanding of God’s words. His literary license embellishes on the stories (as Biblical fiction) versus the more concise version in the Bible. It’s what bring ...more
I thoroughly enjoy this book every time I pick it up for a re-read. Maybe I find it so refreshing because:
* I read so little poetry, which James has mixed with essay in his look at the Easter story.
* Jesus the Nazarene is not someone you can easily put in a box of categorization. He is not a dry, historical figure easily reduced by intellectual examination. James honors the mystery of Christ in this work.
* I love his approach of examining Easter as the culmination of a story unfolding across h
Lisa Johnson
Title: Story
Author: Steven James
Pages: 207
Year: 2006
Publisher: Revell
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspo.... Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988

While I am familiar with Steven James’ fiction and find his fiction books fantastic, I have never read any of his nonfiction work. Story fills the bill for a success in the nonficti
Anthony
Dec 21, 2007 Anthony rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone needing a fresh look at their faith
This book is written around the theme of Easter, but it is really a much bigger story than that. I found it to be a perfect story for Christmas, because as it says on the inside of the cover:

"'The empty tomb doesn't make sense without the cross, the cross doesn't make sense without the manger, and the manger doesn't make sense without the Garden of Eden.' says Steven James. 'It's all one story. And only when you finally untangle it, see it unfold, and enter it for yourself do you realize that t
Joann Claypoole
Sep 14, 2014 Joann Claypoole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Read this book if you crave a deeper understanding of our Savior. His nature. His heart. His love. Simple, yet hard to comprehend. Amazing when contrasted with man's nature, heart, and conditional love. I read this book after the BRMCWC in 2009. It was one of my first (and favorite) books from Steven James. I love the poetry and different perspectives Mr. James gives his readers. A beautifully written love story ...
Wendy
In Steven James' book, Story, he combines poetry, scripture and insight to tell our story from creation to redemption. He weaves the Old Testament with the New Testament and then brings all of it to the blanket of reality we have today.
This book is beautiful from beginning to end
both in the author's writing and the story he shares.

A few of my favorite quotes:

"Before God created anything, he was daydreaming about me.
At the dawn of time, I was on his mind. And so were you."

"The image of God is f
Patty
This is the second time that I have read this book. I had lent it to my daughter and she just returned it to me. Since I had basically forgotten she had it and that I had read it, I thought it deserved a second look.

I think James' intention is to capture the minds of those who are not familiar with Christianity's beginnings. I can't tell how that works since I have been a Christian for 54+ years.

However, as a life long Christian, I am glad to hear the old, old story told with new words. For me,
Grace Ba.
I really like this story, I could really tell that my faith is growing stronger. I also really like that the author would tell us things that I didn't really know before and he would put like an animal an then put a sermon to it I really liked that. Now there's more I could say but all I can say right not is you should read this book!
Loyd
I've attended two seminars with Steven James, and he is always entertaining to say the least, and an excellent writer as well. Story reminded me of the inspirational scrapbooks that Mark Noll used to make back in the 70's, like He Is The Still Point of A Turning World and In the Silence is the Dancing, books full of soft insights and entranceways into a deeper devotional world. This is a worthy read, but I thought it would delve into the meaning of story a little more that it did.
J. Alfred
A wildly quick read, this, which is the story of redemption done in thematic little vignettes, littered with little poems, is very moving at points. Seeing Jesus dancing with the bride at the wedding at Cana is worth the whole read, and there's lots more that's good in here. I was leery before I opened the book up, because it seemed as if it was bound to be emergent ad nauseam, but it turned out to be solid, entertaining, orthodox biblical theology. I'm going to point my students in its directio ...more
Allison
What an interesting view James gives of the Bible. He doesn't go so far as rewriting it, but he puts a totally different spin on how scripture is interpreted. He uses poetry to convey different thoughts than one may normally think. This book really makes you stop and ponder what you belive, but in a good way.
Holly Thompson
A beautiful portrayal of how the gospel story is wound deeply into the fabric of our lives. James weaves the themes found in Scripture into a grand story arc while treating each major theme as its own mini-devotional, complete with poems, prayers, anecdotes, and Bible stories. Highly recommend.
Robby Berry
James challenges readers to view the Christian faith in its original context, that of a story. From the original work of the Creator's hand, to the fall of the creation and the subsequent narrative of redemptive love, Story puts a familiar reality in a fresh perspective.
Rebekah
Oct 14, 2008 Rebekah marked it as to-read
I know I put this on my "to-read" list but I have read a few paragraphs of it and it is amazing. Simply Amazing. The layout of the book is cool! (I don't know how else to put it) From what I've read it's very interesting.
Rebekah Crain
Good book that makes you see Jesus and the Bible in a way that is maybe a little different than you did before. I enjoyed it. And James' poetry that is sprinkled throughout the book was, simply put, beautiful.
Nicolas
The concept of this book was pretty good, but only 3 or 4 chapters executed the concept well. If the whole book had been more like the chapter titled New Wine, it would have been fantastic.
Paul
I absolutely love this book. I can't count how many time I have read it, or how many copies I have given away. If you want a new look at the Gospel through short stories and poetry this is awesome!
Holly
Very insightful, fantastic book. Well-written. Insightful look into James' views on modern Christianity.
Salome Tam

Refreshingly unique perspective in telling The Story.
Rachel
1st Book Chat selection of 2010
Todd Coe
Very well written and great poetry
Bette
Loved this!
CRodrigues
CRodrigues marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Reader82471
Reader82471 marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
  • A Table in the Presence: The Dramatic Account of How a U.S. Marine Battalion Experienced God's Presence Amidst the Chaos of the War in Iraq
  • Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi
  • Open Heart, Open Home: The Hospitable Way to Make Others Feel Welcome & Wanted
  • Good News for Anxious Christians: Ten Practical Things You Don't Have to Do
  • The Elements of Biblical Exegesis: A Basic Guide for Ministers and Students
  • Let the Journey Begin: God's Roadmap for New Beginnings
  • Lord, Save Us from Your Followers: Why Is the Gospel of Love Dividing America?
  • Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand
  • Adventures in Missing the Point
  • The Trinity and the Kingdom
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • Christianity and the Social Crisis in the 21st Century: The Classic That Woke Up the Church
  • Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life
  • On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518
  • The Collected Works of C.S. Lewis
  • A Little Exercise for Young Theologians
  • The Hungering Dark
  • The End of Our Exploring: A Book about Questioning and the Confidence of Faith
Steven James is the best selling author of more than three dozen books, including the Patrick Bowers and Jevin Banks thriller series. In May 2014 he released the first book of his teen suspense trilogy, Blur, and a book on the craft of novel writing, Story Trumps Structure. Steven’s other works span a variety of genres including non fiction, fantasy and drama. He has received wide critical acclaim ...more
More about Steven James...
The Pawn (The Patrick Bowers Files, #1) The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files, #2) The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files, #3) The Bishop (The Patrick Bowers Files, #4) The Queen (Patrick Bowers Files, #5)

“The gifts of the Master are these: freedom, life, hope, new direction, transformation, and intimacy with God. If the cross was the end of the story, we would have no hope. But the cross isn't the end. Jesus didn't escape from death; he conquered it and opened the way to heaven for all who will dare to believe. The truth of this moment, if we let it sweep over us, is stunning. It means Jesus really is who he claimed to be, we are really as lost as he said we are, and he really is the only way for us to intimately and spiritually connect with God again.” 52 likes
“Change is not always a good thing. What I need is not change from one thing to another but transformation from who I am into who I was meant to become. Only when God's transforming power touches me can I begin to live the simpler, freer, fresher, more creative, more patient, more passionate, more sacrificial, riskier, rawer, more real, more love-driven life God intended for me all along. That transformation is what awaits all who dare to enter the story of God. As Paul wrote, 'Let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think' (Romans 12:2)” 16 likes