Start by marking “Lord Peter Views the Body” as Want to Read:
Lord Peter Views the Body

Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey #4)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  10,000 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
Lord Peter Wimsey, with faithful manservant Bunter, appears here in nine outstanding short stories. He deals with such marvels as the man with copper fingers, the bone of contention, and a stolen stomach. Readers will delight in hearing about the Egotists' Club, where you can talk about yourself as much as you like.
Audiobook, 9 pages
Published May 7th 2001 by Audio Partners (first published 1928)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Peter Views the Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Peter Views the Body

Susan
Although I am not really a fan of short stories – much preferring novels – I wanted to re-read the Lord Peter Wimsey books and realised that I had never read this collection. The book consists of the following stories:

The Abominable History of the Man with Copper Fingers
The Entertaining Episode of the Article in Question
The Fascinating Problem of Uncle Meleager’s Will
The Fantastic Horror of the Cat in the Bag
The Unprincipled Affair of the Practical Joker
The Undignified Melodrama of the Bone of C
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I love short stories, but this collection is a real mixed bag.

The problem with short stories about crime, is that unless they are exceedingly well-written, then they often come across as superficial and you are left wondering about things that must have happened for the mystery to be solved, but that you are not party to. And this was the case in a few of the stories in this collection.

Having said that, there were also some exceedingly good stories in this collection. The Learned Adventure of th
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Apr 24, 2016 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies, mystery
Lord Peter Views the Body is a lovely way to 'cleanse your palate', so to speak. I needed something that would, if not erase something that almost caused a reading slump (and not the good one either), at least save my future reading enjoyment and this witty anthology is perfect.
I was afraid it won't work because I didn't like the last book from this series (not enough of the main character; it was as if someone else wrote it).

There are twelve stories in the collection:

The Abominable History of
Leah
Jul 25, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the back of my copy of this book, there is little indication that these are short stories. As a result, I approached this book innocently assuming I would encounter another full-length Peter Wimsey adventure to delight in. I'm glad it worked out this way, however, because I rarely choose to read short stories voluntarily, and these were just as delightful as Peter's full-length exploits.

I find myself spending each review of a Sayers book comparing her favourably with her more famous contempor
Jan C
This was a re-read for me. I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed some of these stories. As I read them, I remembered most of them from previous read (s).

The final story reminded me very much of Patricia Wentworth's Grey Mask in her Miss Silver stories. (grumble, grumble. autocorrect is going to kill me yet.) The story before that looked like a precursor to Sayers' own Have His Carcase. Both the story and the novel start much the same but do take different paths.

I think I first read this in the
Kim
Nov 14, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction, kindle

Spending a bit of quality time with Lord Peter Wimsey always makes me cheerful. I prefer him in the full-length novel environment where his intelligence, wit, humour and humanity can shine to their fullest extent, but there's nothing wrong with meeting him in the short story format. It's rather like having a friend drop by for a quick visit. You may prefer to have him stay for the weekend so you can catch up properly, but a cup of tea or even a chat on the phone is better than not seeing him at
booklady
Lord Peter Wimsey is my favorite sleuth. From his humorous name and distinctively British upper class mannerisms and speech, to his ‘ugly, beaky appearance’ and passion for books, especially old rare ones, he entertains me like no other detective and few other literary characters. Each time I begin another Dorothy L. Sayers’ mystery I brace myself to be disappointed in case she slips in some quality about him which has to be endured rather than admired.

Lord Peter Views the Body is a collection
Bill
This book contains 12 mysteries featuring Dorothy Sayers' famous sleuth, Lord Peter Wimsey and each was unique in its own right and all were interesting and entertaining. I've grown to like Lord Peter very much as I've begun to explore this series. Short stories can be so hit or miss. It all depends on how quickly the author can get into the story and grab your attention and then come to a satisfying resolution. Dorothy Sayers succeeded with this much to my satisfaction. Lord Peter is such a won ...more
Elisabeth
3.5 stars. It's hard to know exactly how to rate these short stories. On the one hand, Sayers is unquestionably a skilled writer and a pleasure to read. The stories themselves, though, are mainly a mixed bag. Not all of them are straight-out detective stories; some are more point-to-point tracing of clues or an exercise in outwitting a wrongdoer, and in the ones where the identity of the culprit is in question, it's not too hard to guess who they are. "The Undignified Melodrama of the Bone of Co ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
It hurts to give Miss Sayers and Lord Peter only three stars, but I know it's my own fault. I simply don't care for the short story format, particularly when Lord Peter is such a Deus Ex Machina in that form. In this collection, sometimes you don't know if he's a detective or a 007 wannabe. The business about his famous palate for wine, for example, made me roll my eyes. A couple of the stories, while they had some good red herrings, were bordering on the silly, and put a foot over that border m ...more
Damaskcat
Apr 10, 2016 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dls-challenge
This is a delightful collection of short stories - all featuring Lord Peter Wimsey detecting crimes in his own inimitable fashion. Some are just gruesome - 'The Man with the Copper Fingers' for example and one at least contains no murder and not even a crime - just an attempted one - 'The Piscatorial Farce of the Stolen Stomach.' I must admit the latter has always been a particular favourite of mine as it contrives to make a hugely entertaining story out of an attempted crime.

All these stories a
Abbey
LORD PETER VIEWS THE BODY, 1928, Lord Peter short stories, nicely twisted; latest reread was from the 1985 audio edition, Chivers Audio Books, read by Ian Carmichael - this contains most, but not all, of the stories from this early edition. Short story collection, excellent; narration perfect.

NOTE: The 1928 edition was also printed at some point titled LORD PETER, but there is also a larger compilation with that name from the 1970s that includes ALL the stories written by Sayers about him, not
James
Sayers joins Christie and Doyle in knocking out a collection of short stories for her detective character, Lord Peter Wimsey. The short-story form appears to have been very popular with authors 'of the day', presumably the stories were generally published individually in magazines before being collected. Again, Lord Peter Views the Body , took me by surprise as I hadn't read any of the reviews of blurb before starting; I was assuming another full-length novel. A pleasant surprise nonetheless, a ...more
Samir Krishnamurti
Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey is arguably one of the greatest characters to grace the pages of twentieth century detective fiction. For some reason, he tends to be somewhat overlooked, although most lists should rate him right up there with Hercule Poirot, Ellery Queen, Father Brown, and the other great luminaries of early twentieth century detective fiction. He is the quintessential English gentleman detective, the one who set the stereotype for the lordly, amateur sleuth. You know the type. B ...more
Dave
May 15, 2013 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
A somewhat less real world than the novels--rather experimental, a little precious, sometimes long-winded. Still, you can get lost in these stories. No real peaks, but maybe it's telling that my favorite is the longest and most novelistic, "The Bone of Contention," with the beginnings of The Nine Tailors in it. Also like the more adventurous ones ("The Man with Copper Fingers," "The Cave of Ali Baba," "The Dragon's Head"). Dislikes: Scottish dialect, untranslated French, crossword puzzle-based s ...more
I prefer full-length Sayers to short fiction, though some of these stories were pretty fun. I liked them for their character development more than for their mini-mysteries. There was one which involved Wimsey & his nephew; I loved the dynamic between them. Another featured Wimsey making a measured decision to NOT apprehend the murderer.
A few missed the mark for me because they were impossible to solve; I like to feel like I have enough information to pick up at least part of the solution. O
Jennifer Quail
Dec 12, 2012 Jennifer Quail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you asked me to pick my favorite Lord Peter Wimsey novel, and held me to a strict definition of 'novel', I would have to say "The Nine Tailors". However, if you just said 'favorite Lord Peter Wimsey book', this would be the one. The short stories cover a range of topics from the comic to the macabre and allows Sayers to indulge her penchant for puzzles and to try different literary styles that wouldn't have worked in a full-length novel. Readers looking for familiar characters will be both pl ...more
Shannon
Nov 27, 2015 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
3.5 stars -- I didn't know this was a collection of short stories somehow. I liked some better than others, but my favorites were "The Abominable History of the Man with Copper Fingers," "The Vindictive Story of the Footsteps That Ran," and "The Adventurous Exploit of the Cave of Ali Baba."

There were a few that failed to thrill me, but overall I can't complain. Sayers makes my commute 500x better.
Lydia
Feb 17, 2014 Lydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a collection of short stories, it's slightly harder to peg than a usual LPW book; be satisfied with thinking of these as some of Lord Peter's faster cases, though no less intriguing.

I enjoyed all of these short stories and liked that they had a lot of classic Wimsey elements, sometimes the entire mystery revolving around one (like Uncle Meleager's Will which is primarily a giant puzzle). A few of the stories (The Bone of Contention, The Man with No Face in particular) felt like ideas that

Amy
Mar 06, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detection-club
I am normally not a fan of short stories, but the format works splendidly for these mysteries. I enjoy Lord Peter Wimsey (seriously, what a fabulous name) and how he brings a level of flair. Like Sir Percy Blakeney meets Sherlock Holmes but not quite.
Anyway, several gems but my personal favorite was "The Dragon's Head." I definitely felt alarm at "The Cave of Ali Baba."
Looking forward to exploring more of Dorothy L. Sayers in this coming year!
Katie
Ha! I knew that there were some short story collections in the series, but I wasn't expecting this to be one. I figured it out pretty quickly, though, as the pacing was all off for a novel!

Anyway, this was just okay for me. There wasn't really enough of the characters (though I loved meeting Peter's nephew!) and each story felt TOO stand alone.

I didn't like the last story. (view spoiler)
Clare
May 24, 2012 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, classic
However unacceptable the 1920s class system, it is fascinating and comforting to read about the certainties of this age with social, dress and manners codes rigorously applied. Blackmailers are beyond the pale, murderers are hanged and criminals get their comeuppance! Lord PW wears purple silk pjs and a primrose silk dressing gown (or vice versa)...... Great stuff!
Alger
Aug 31, 2015 Alger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An uneven, but amusing short story collection that fills out the ordinary life of Lord Peter Wimsey, and places him in some strange, if not impossible situations.

If anything the volume reflects Sayers reliance upon wills and legacies as a go-to plot device fro the short story. Far more than in her long-form fiction we are expected to believe that the British nobility were obsessed with ways of forcing their will upon their heirs. Not to say that the resulting stories are not inventive and fun,
russell barnes
Feb 25, 2015 russell barnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, golden-age
One the best things about the Wimsey novels is the way you can luxuriate in Lord Peter's life; his family, wardrobe, toilette, taste in cigars and/or spirits and the shared love of crossword puzzles with his creator all intervene in the solving of the various cases. And in each case it's all for the better as this background fluff, combined with Sayers' fiendish eye for a crime, make a Wimsey novel one to wallow in.

However, how often do you have time to pick the teeth out of carefully crafted c
Julie
Mar 26, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Lord Peter could have been an insurance investigator," I remember latching onto this vague thought as I read through 12 short stories featuring our favorite amateur detective, full-time lordling, His Lordship Peter Wimsey. A number of these stories involved wills - either missing or ridiculously confusing - which Lord Peter, in his curiosity and general nosiness, just had to solve for the benefit of the people around him. And us, of course, because who doesn't like a good inheritance mystery.

I
Daniel Bratell
Lord Peter Views the Body is a collection of short stories with Lord Peter Wimsey in the central position. Short stories are different from full length novels not only in the length but also in depth, and they kind of become "Mystery presentation + Mystery explanation" with very little time in between. For me that means I miss that period of "it must have been X" and "no wait, it must have been Y".

One short story is a bit exceptional. Sayers designed a full crossword puzzle for it, and not an e
Katie Graham
Apr 06, 2015 Katie Graham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not find the characters compelling and the solutions to the mysteries were out of the blue, off the wall, illogical. I don't have to be able to figure out "who dunnit" to enjoy a mystery, but I do want to have all the information available so I COULD figure it out if I was clever enough. None of these short stories gave clues that led the the solution.

I have tried Sayers a couple of times. Each time hoping THIS time I will enjoy her, because she is so popular. But, I think this is the last
Phaney
Aug 02, 2016 Phaney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mixed bag. Very much so.

Some of the stories in this collection I liked, a few I liked hugely, and some stories I might have enjoyed more if they had not been connected to the Wimsey universe. Incongruousness gets to me every time.

That first of the stories? The one reminiscent of that Vincent Price movie? I am told this story is very famous and I readily believe it (what with the macabre factor), but Wimsey’s behaviour in it does not strike me as consistent with the way he has been in the first
Dolly
This is an entertaining collection of short stories featuring Lord Peter in all of his witty and deductive splendor. His knowledge of art, wine, science and human nature are all brought out on display in the various tales.

I enjoyed listening to Ian Carmichael narrate the stories aloud on audio CD. I was frustrated, however, when I discovered (as have other reviewers here on Goodreads) that this "complete and unabridged" audio recording of the twelve-story book only has nine of the tales.

Since
tom bomp
All pretty enjoyable because Sayers is a good writer, but the mysteries themselves are mixed quality. The crossword one is really impressive and a few of the others are interesting and comment on the mystery genre itself but the longest story is a bit silly (one of the main elements had no use at all and was actively dangerous to the plan, which relied upon a really major but highly unlikely thing another person did that everyone else in the story tried to stop, and that going exactly according ...more
Reading the Detec...: Lord Peter Views the Body 74 37 Aug 06, 2016 09:38PM
Reading the Detec...: Lord Peter Views the Body - SPOILER thread 57 31 May 02, 2016 10:42PM
  • A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #2)
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Miss Pym Disposes
  • Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery #4)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspector Hannasyde, #2)
Dorothy Leigh Sayers was a renowned British author, translator, student of classical and modern languages, and Christian humanist.

Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short stories set between World War I and World War II that feature English aristocrat and amateur sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. However, Sayers herself considered her translation of Dante's Divina Co
More about Dorothy L. Sayers...

Lord Peter Wimsey (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #1)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #3)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #6)
  • Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • Hangman's Holiday: A Collection of Short Mysteries (Lord Peter Wimsey, #9)
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)
  • The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey, #11)

“And upon his return, Gherkins, who had always considered his uncle as a very top-hatted sort of person, actually saw him take from his handkerchief-drawer an undeniable automatic pistol.
It was at this point that Lord Peter was apotheosed from the state of Quite Decent Uncle to that of Glorified Uncle”
16 likes
“It was at this point that Lord Peter was apotheosed from the state of Quite Decent Uncle to that of Glorified Uncle.” 0 likes