Start by marking “Henry And Mudge Under The Yellow Moon” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Henry And Mudge Under ...
Cynthia Rylant

Henry And Mudge Under The Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge #4)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In the autumn Henry and his big dog Mudge watch the leaves turn, meet with some Halloween spooks, and share Thanksgiving dinner.
Published (first published September 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Henry And Mudge Under The Yellow Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry And Mudge Under The Yellow Moon

A wonderful collection for autumn as it contains three stories

One on the arrival of fall and the ways that Henry and Mudge enjoy it in their different ways (of course, one being a boy and the other being a dog!) Such as, Henry picks apples and Mudge licks them; Henry puts on a coat and Mudge grows his! ;-p But, always, the uniting factor is their friendship.

One on Halloween, when Henry's mom tells scary stories but Henry feels more brave with Mudge in the house

One on Thanksgiving with the arriva
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series and were excited to find out what would happen as we started each one. Because my son was between 5-6 years old (he's an advanced reader) at the time, he easily identified with Henry and loved Mudge because (1) he desperately wanted a dog, and (2) Mudge's goofiness was endearing AND hilarious.

Read Aloud: Pre-K and Kindergarten
Introduces plot, character development, foreshadowing, and use of imagery.

Independent Reading: First or Seco
Fun, short stories about a boy and his dog that are nice early readers. These are harder than Elephant and Piggie but easier than a true chapter book. The three stories are not sequential, so each one can stand alone. I personally felt the Halloween story in here was a bit scary for the Kindergarten reader but every child is different. I also did not like the complaining tone of the Thanksgiving story in here, but Henry does find something to be thankful for in the end.
Rosa Cline
This was an easier to read book than the other Henry and Mudge books. So an advanced beginning reader could possibly read it on their own. It's a very nice book, covering Henry and his dog Mudge's first Fall, First Halloween and First Thanksgiving. My nearly 4 year old granddaughter enjoyed looking at the illustrations as I read it to her.
This was another excellent book, but I did have to skip parts in it. This one takes place during Halloween time, and Henry's mother likes to tell ghost stories. I thought they might be too scary for Jill, because she calls this book the "scary one." So now I summarize the ghost stories. It can foster conversation though, because the author said that Henry never told his mother he thought they were too scary, leading her to think that Henry liked the stories. So the child and adult reading this b ...more
April Smith
This is a great story of a dog and his owner and the bond that they have. This book is separated into chapter (sections). This is a good book for children in transition.
Angela Bruck
It it was kind of boring. it was really hard to read to. I am even 7 years old and my 10 year old sister is tybeung
megan donaldson
I read this when I was growing up now I read it to my son. He likes the simple stories and the awesome dog.
three separate autumn stories
the second one is about Halloween and is a ghost story
Nov 24, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale from the "Henry and Mudge" series, a few short stories that celebrates the Fall season and a few of the holidays during that time. It's a nice book that features Halloween, Thanksgiving and the fun of Autumn. Our girls enjoyed this story and we really love reading books by Cynthia Rylant. We've read this one a couple of times.
Madison Jones
Great book for children who are just starting to read chapter books. This series is a good one to get into! This book would be a good choice for children who like ghost stories and things like that. I would reccomend this book for children in first to third grade.
Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon is an easy to read story about Henry and his big dog, Mudge, explore nature and Thanksgiving. It is three stories about the friendship between the boy and his dog.
Read on 042815 and 060215.
This book is set in the season of Fall. Could be read around halloween time to tie into the holidays. The love between Henry and Mudge is so sweet and kids will love it!
We got this as a read-along book and CD. TRuman enjoys being able to follow along, and also being able to read on his own. He's loving this series, and I must admit, I am too.
I wish the leave would turn colors here, I think my son would love it. Two thumbs up.
An enjoyable Henry and Mudge series book, perfect to read during the fall holidays.
Same review again. Three cute stories. I liked the Thanksgiving one best.
I loved Henry and Mudge.
May 18, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
Dr_d added it
Nov 28, 2015
ForemanTeaches marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Vu Chi
Vu Chi marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
  • Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Lost Tooth (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • Thanksgiving at the Tappletons'
  • Froggy Bakes a Cake
  • Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Snakes! (National Geographic Readers)
  • The Field Day from the Black Lagoon
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Penny and Her Song
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Amelia Bedelia Under Construction
  • Pinky and Rex (Pinky and Rex, #1)
  • Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8)
  • Arthur's Honey Bear
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Henry and Mudge (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book
  • Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble (Henry and Mudge, #2)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Sparkle Days (Henry and Mudge, #5)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)