Start by marking “Dommages collatéraux . L'héritage de John Fante” as Want to Read:
Dommages collatéraux . L'héritage de John Fante

Dommages collatéraux . L'héritage de John Fante

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"Ecrire, boire, survivre", telle pourrait être la devise des quatre
générations de Fante dont Dan livre ici les Mémoires. De son
grand-père Pietro Nicola à son père John, des Abruzzes
ancestrales au soleil californien, Dan Fante retrace le parcours
chaotique, brillant et torturé d'une famille de conteurs nés qui
offrit au XXe siècle, avec l'auteur de Demande à la poussière,
l'un
446 pages
Published April 2012 by 13eme Note (first published August 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dommages collatéraux . L'héritage de John Fante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dommages collatéraux . L'héritage de John Fante

Aramys
Cinco estrellas merecidísimas, o seis, o siete, que mas da, este es un libro increíble. Increíble, duro, crudo y real; esta BIO de Dan Fante, con toda la historia de su padre, el escritor John Fante y de su familia; madre, hermanos y abuelos, es intensa y esta perfectamente escrita. Con ese tono de realidad sucia heredado de la generación Bukowski y con la calidad de Dan Fante este libro es imprescindible, no ya para todos los que admiramos la persona y la obra de John Fante, si no también para ...more
Hosho
Utterly fantastic. So much of what passes as writing -- no matter the genre -- these days is contrived, commercially considered, wrought by marketing and easy handles and where it's to be shelved. This is not one of those books.

Yes -- there is the built-in intrigue about the Fante family, and readers hungry for details won't be disappointed. But this beautiful book has what too many books lack: a furious, pounding, flawed, and desperate human heart. If every you've felt like a maniac in your own
Alex Kudera
I think this is Dan Fante's best--lots of good stuff here on father John, son Dan, Hollywood, the seedy underside of NYC, and cameos from plenty of other 20th century American writers. At times, Dan's real life seems crazier than the life of his fictional Bruno Dante; there are a few paragraphs that would get half your students giggling and tweeting like mad geese while a few sourpusses complain to your department chair. In other words, at least sections of it could fit into many different kinds ...more
Mike
This is an interesting book on a lot of different levels. After reading Dan Fante's (largely autobiographical) fiction, I'm willing to pick up anything he writes. To my mind, he's established himself as a talented, not to mention unflinchingly gutsy, writer, without needing to rely on his father's name. But this book offers a window into the lives of both great writers, and the painful relationship between them. It's inspiring that Dan Fante has been able to write like this after so many years o ...more
Adam
While there are some interesting family anecdotes in this memoir, particularly for John Fante fans, it gets bogged down in a hurry when the rest of the Fantes recede into the background and we're left with just Adult Dan Fante at center stage. As a writer, Dan Fante is a poor man's John Fante, consumed with all the same basic literary themes and plagued by some of the same real-life demons. Dan goes through a tough childhood. Dan grows into a womanizing alcoholic with a bad temper and no sense o ...more
Patrick Inman
A boozy chip off the old block.

Dan Fante's autobiography is a rambling, drunken, rage powered revelation. I bought this book on a whim on Amazon because I had read and admired his father's work. I had no expectations it was going to be one of the best books I've read in the last year. I heartily recommend it to anybody who can appreciate the courage it took to write a book this honest and this unflinching.
Steve Poltrock
Dan Fante is the son of a famous author, John Fante, who wrote about his father and his own tough life. In this book Dan Fante follows this same approach, writing about John Fante and Dan Fante's own tough life. This is a family of alcoholics, and there is little in their lives that is inspirational. Dan Fante describes himself as a serious screwball, destroying himself and those around him with alcohol and nearly killing himself several times. Nonetheless, he had some talents. He learned to sel ...more
Keely
Thank you, Dan Fante, for sharing your slice of the human condition in such an open way. Brutal and to the point, yet inspiring in the end.
Sara Habein
This is a good, entertaining book. I reread many chapters, and I find the included family photos interesting. Now, would his siblings have a different version of events or say he is glossing over some of his own issues? Maybe, but what he presented was compelling. Repeatedly I've said that I like knowing the life stories of people. I like knowing what shaped their character, and Fante is a 2-for-1 deal. Well played, Dan.

(My full review can be found on Glorified Love Letters.)
Ciaran groarke
very interesting view of the life of the great writer John Fante and his family. alcohol,depression, emotional abuse are sad, but all too familiar subjects in artist biographies or memoirs as this is called. Not knocked out by Dan Fante's writing style- but a solid picture of the times, and the life behind the novels.
Keyra
Fante takes the brutal truth to the next level. There were parts of this book that my jaw dropped and I had to reread a couple of sentences. Thanks Fante for your openness to vulnerability. It was also fun to learn about his fathers life, writer John Fante, on a more intimate level through his sons memories.
Larry

If you are a John Fante fan, this is not necessary to read to further your enjoyment of his stuff. If you don't know his son's material, this will make you want to read it. Dan Fante's no-holds-barred account of his life and family is terrific.
Rebecca
I really, really like Dan Fante's work right now... Blunt. Entertaining. I loved this because he weaved his life with his father's and I appreciated his honest account of how he became a writer paralleled with his father's route.
Fredstollergmail.com
I love every part of it- The history of Los Angles and Hollywood, his father's career, Dan Fante's battles, his raw writing style and passion for writing!
Michael
Interesting stories but sloppy writing and poor editing. If your familiar with father and son Fante's work there is not a lot you won't have read before.
Adam Matthews
Drops a star as having read all his other books a good few stories are retold here. Though a great book and insight to the Fante family legend
G.
A must read for any Fante fan!
Kevin Wilder
A perfect book. Deserves more stars!
Olav Nilsen
A must read. Great book
ATPJR
Endeavor to persevere.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Joana
Joana is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2015
Jose Duarte Rodriguez
Jose Duarte Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
  • Kiyo's Story: A Japanese-American Family's Quest for the American Dream
  • Colter: The True Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had
  • The Call of Stories: Teaching and the Moral Imagination
  • White Teacher
  • Memoirs of an Addicted Brain: A Neuroscientist Examines his Former Life on Drugs
  • Gotta Find a Home: Conversations with Street People
  • Borrowed Finery: A Memoir
  • Stretch: The Unlikely Making of a Yoga Dude
  • More Notes of a Dirty Old Man: The Uncollected Columns
  • Demon Camp: A Soldier's Exorcism
  • Devil Sent the Rain: Music and Writing in Desperate America
  • A Tidewater Morning
Chump Change 86'd Mooch Spitting Off Tall Buildings Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets