Start by marking “Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville #3)” as Want to Read:
Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville #3)

Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  11,940 ratings  ·  413 reviews
After getting caught turning wolf on national television, Kitty retreats to a mountain cabin to recover and write her memoirs. But this is Kitty, so trouble is never far behind, and instead of Walden Pond, she gets Evil Dead. When werewolf hunter Cormac shows up with an injured Ben O'Farrell, Kitty's lawyer, slung over his shoulder, and a wolf-like creature with glowing re ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 303 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Kitty Takes a Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitty Takes a Holiday

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
139th out of 2,391 books — 8,843 voters
Moon Called by Patricia BriggsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterBitten by Kelley ArmstrongCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsBlood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Werewolf Books
47th out of 545 books — 674 voters

More lists with this book...

Seth
Aug 15, 2007 Seth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: (100 chars is not enough for this field)
Shelves: modernfantasy, sf-f-h
This series is unlike most of the genre: it's about how Kitty grows internally, not about her powers, her worldly power, or her exploits. The first book has her going from bottom beta to independent, getting even me to understand why she's happy as the (literal) bottom dog at first. the second is about her changing concept of community, pack, and pack responsibility.

This book is about her accepting responsibility. Not responsibility for her actions--she isn't "owning up," she's accepting respons
Bry
This review is probably going to sound really odd because I totally feel like I just read 2 books in 1.

The first part of this book was all about Cormac bringing Ben hurt and in trouble to Kitty's cabin (in which she is playing hide from the world as an aftermath from the events in book 2). This part of the books was great. Kitty is being threatened with some form of blood magic and something seems to be stalking them in the woods surrounding her cabin. Kitty was strong, Cormac emotional, and Be
AH
I find that the Kitty series by Carrie Vaughn is a nice little distraction. While the series is not the best UF series out there, I do find that each book has been consistent for me. Kitty’s world includes werewolves, vampires, and other paranormal creatures. I loved how the Native American skin walkers were incorporated into this book.

It’s difficult to review this book without giving away a major spoiler, but let’s just say that Kitty spends her time in this book helping out her friends. One of
Tamora Pierce
Needing a break after the cataclysmic events of KITTY GOES TO WASHINGTON, Kitty has retreated to a wilderness cabin with a book contract, leaving her radio show in repeats while she listens to a show by a wannabe and grinding her teeth. She doesn't know what she wants to do. When someone local--she thinks--begins to place curse signs on her cabin, she learns that local law enforcement is not inclined to help, unless she asks them to help her pack. Then Cormac arrives with a badly hurt Ben, and e ...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Oh how I loved Kitty, Ben and Cormac in this book! It's my favourite so far, because it takes a different turn from the first 2 books. Kitty's basically on a break from her radio show to recover from the developments of the past 2 books, starting her own radio show, being caught on TV, coming out as a werewolf.

Resulting in her being in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, tuning into her competition's radio show and somehow finding solstice in trying to sabotage it every week. When Cormac and Ben
Ian
With a book to write, Kitty takes some time off from her day job and all the people who want to kill her and moves into a small rental cabin in a rural town. But things never go smoothly for her and she soon discovers someone is using blood magic to curse her. Then Cormac arrives in the middle of the night with Ben who has been attacked and infected by a werewolf and what was supposed to be a holiday goes from bad to worse.

Kitty Takes a Holiday is good fun for lovers of werewolves, witches and
Ailsa
Originally posted to The Book Bundle - if you like my review, please consider popping over there for a look :-)

Book 3 in the series, so beware spoilers for 1 & 2!

My thoughts: I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. I read it all in one sitting, starting at about 11pm with the intention of reading a couple of chapters, and stopping somewhere between 1 and 2 am. Normally, reading a book this quickly would be a sign that I really enjoyed it, but there are a lot of things about it that a
Jules
I'm really starting to like this series. Once I got past the boring title, I enjoyed the well-written character development between Kitty and her three-person quasi-pack. Vaughn has a quick, dialogue-heavy writing style that I'm appreciating more and more in authors and has the added bonus of making novels quick to read, even for notoriously-slow me. I polished this one off during a plane ride.

Cormac is slowly becoming my new favorite novel hero, though I'm kinda disappointed that he's not a wer
Naoms
This book ruined the Kitty Norville series for me. It gets off to an OK start. Kitty has locked herself away in a cottage, basically in the middle of nowhere, to help heal and cope with what happened to her at the end of "Kitty Goes to Washington." Kitty comes off a bit weak and even immature at moments in this book. Her calling in the other supernatural talk show under false names, to try and rile up or shake up the DJ. I just couldn't believe this was the same character. You are the girl who s ...more
Yodamom
(audio version) Things change, Kitty's life changes in a blink of the eye. She is alone with her wolf and herself, avoiding reality. She rents a place outside of a small town where the residents don't seem too happy having the infamous werewolf about. Dead, bloody warnings start showing up then things get worse. Cormack the werewolf hunter drives down her road. This visit changes everything for one of them.
I really loved the twist and turns for the characters in this book. Ms. Vaughn gave them a
Chris
The Kitty series is great beach reading. This isn't a bad thing, for each book so far has been quite enjoyable.

Vaughn deserves credit for this book. In the first two books, the radio show formed some of the best parts. Here, Kitty has taken a break from her radio show. It's risky to not fully use the gimmick that first sold the books, but Vaughn pulls it off well. I loved the radio bits in the first two books, and surprisedly, I didn't miss it here because of how tight and quick the plot works.
Sasha
I like Kitty as unwitting crime solver and I like Kitty as talk show host. The first two novels focused on these parts of her, showing that she was insightful and funny even as she struggled with her issues.

But then comes book 3, and the author departs from an enjoyable formula - Kitty isn't on the radio anymore but hiding out in a cabin in the woods - and the author departs from what appeared in previous instalments to be the romantic relationship between Kitty and Cormac. Intellectually I und
Carolyn F.
This series is getting much better. Kitty ends up taking some time off to write her memoir and is finding inspiration hard to come by. Cormack comes one night to drop off Ben who has been bit by a werewolf and they can already tell he is going to change. Ben and Cormack made a teenage pledge to kill the other if they become infected. Cormack wants to see if Kitty can help him get through it. At the same time she's being harassed by some unknown person who is trying to scare her out of town.

The
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
I don't know how I'm feeling about this installment into the Kitty Norville series. There was a lot of emotional melancholy felt through all the characters in the book and also a surprising end to a potential love interest while an unexpected love relationship seems to have taken shape for our heroine.

Kitty decided she needed a break after the events over the past year and her "unveiling" on live TV after being kidnapped. She retreats to a mountain cabin where she decides to write her memoir and
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
Kt
Since Kitty really isn't used to being the center of attention, the nasty events of the previous book have really damaged her confidence. She's snuck away to a remote location to try and escape her new found celebrity (and not in a good way) status. Of course things couldn't be easy for her, proven when Cormac shows up with her a changed Ben, her lawyer in tow. To make matters worse, someone keeps leaving blood spells around her cabin in apparent threat. Not to mention the redeyed creature deter ...more
Trayana
Третата книга – Kitty Takes a Holiday започва с оттеглянето на Кити в някаква планинска хижа, където уж пише книга по време на отпуската си. Казвам „уж”, защото явно вдъхновението я е оставило. Спокойствието й не трае дълго – тя намира в двора си изкормени зайци и кръстове от бодлива тел, а Кормак домъква на прага й ухапания от върколак Бен (който е братовчед на хедхънтъра и адвокат на самата Кити). Овладяването на новосъздадения върколак и разкритието на странното зло, което дебне в околността ...more
mlady_rebecca
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
This is my favourite book of the three so far. The story was very different in feel to the first two with the new setting of Kitty's holiday house, the strong presence of both Ben and Cormac, and the very surprising plot developments that occurred!

Also I enjoyed the mystery element over the more political plot of the last book. All in all, a much more satisfying read in terms of emotional connection and character development.

Kitty has basically decided to hide herself away for a month or so to g
Cmkage
I keep thinking I know would to expect from this series, but so far every book has been a game changer. Not that I'm complaining, it definitely keeps things interesting.

(view spoiler)
Chris
Once more, the story here is self-contained and does not rely on the first two to be enjoyed, but I would still recommened reading them in order because there are some things in this one that would be spoilers when going back to the others. In fact, there isn't a lot I can discuss of the plot of this one without spoilers. Let's just say that it was very engrossing and exciting to read, probably the best in the series so far.

It was great to see Kitty in southern Colorado. I actually know where Wa
Skwerlie
Like the previous two Kitty books, this was just good enough to keep me more or less interested in the characters and to want to read the next one.... eventually, no big hurry. Not as inventive as some other urban fantasy/paranormal romance books but neither is it a total dud (and it doesn't focus too much on endless boring sex or how goshdarn purty all the boys are). Like many others in this little subgenre the book felt very brief, like the author could have combined the plots of two of her no ...more
Gardavson
Another good read. This one was probably my favorite of the series. The series isn't great, but it is good. Other than the fact that it's dealing with werewolves etc, the problems and lessons are very "real". It's written with more of a realistic flair than an entertainment flair, if that makes any sense. The characters aren't sensationalized. They aren't quite so black and white, good and bad.

In this installment, Kitty is taking a break from her show, and not really sure if she feels like goin
Sandi
We went on a four-day weekend to San Simeon. I had taken along Last Argument of Kings because I was almost half way through. I found I just couldn't focus on it though. Fortunately, I had thrown Kitty Takes a Holiday into my reading bag. It was a perfect vacation read. The Kitty Norville series is perfect for a little break from serious reading. It's fun, entertaining, and has great characters. These books are light reads that don't leave you feeling empty and trashy.
Steph
In Kitty Takes a Holiday , Kitty is having a bit of writer's block. She's taken some time off work to write - or try to anyway. While in at the cabin in the woods, you'd think Kitty would find some peace and quiet. Nope, as always, trouble finds her no matter where she goes.

This time it starts out with a dead rabbit on the steps, but quickly grows into much more. We learn more about Cormic, Ben finds himself in a hairy predicament and Kitty becomes the alpha we all knew she could be.

This series
Michele
Okay to start with I was apprehensive about reading this story because of reviews I had read. But, I decided that I would read it for myself. I am glad that I did. Yes, it was a little darker than the other two Kitty books, but, frankly they have progressively gotten darker in my opinion, honestly I think it is a natural progression. After all she is a werewolf. I find Cormac rather hot and I am trying to figure out who I think would look good as Cormac. It has to be someone rugged and he doesn' ...more
Chrissy
What is there left to do after being forced to shapeshift into a werewolf on live national television but hide in the proverbial cabin in the woods and write your memoir?

That’s exactly what Kitty Norville does in this series’ third installment. However, being secluded in the Colorado wilderness with only your laptop and some trees for company, isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and soon her attempt to recreate Walden Pond soon fails. Wolf is at home, Kitty is not.

Read the rest of my review here: ht
Gareth Otton
This novel was a step up from the Kitty Goes to Washington but it still has not managed to reach the standards of the surprisingly good Kitty and the Midnight Hour.

This book is primarily focused on Kitty helping a friend through his change as he becomes a werewolf and as with the first book, the focus on the mindset of the werewolf and how it might actually be like to be a supernatural being is the strength of the novel.

Where this book falls short again though is on the legal front. The police
Jenn
This book was okay. Kitty goes to a cabin in the woods to write her memoirs, or to run away? Enter Cormac and lawyer Ben whose been attacked by a werewolf. Kitty tries to help Ben adjust to being a werewolf while being hunted by evil. I found myself thinking "Oh God, just end the book already." The ending was a surprise and I wonder what trouble Kitty will get into next. I most likely will read the next book.
Nicholas
I enjoyed this story as much as the first two books. The Kitty on vacation amused me and my first thought was "that can never be good" and as it turns out she found herself in the middle of a poop storm as usual. Already started book four.

Side note: when alone in woods and weird items magically appear in front of or around your house just leave, nothing good ever comes from it.
  • Night Season (World of the Lupi, #4)
  • Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #2)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Embraced By Darkness (Riley Jenson Guardian #5)
  • Shift (Shifters, #5)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • The Watcher  (Anna Strong Chronicles, #3)
  • Second Skin (Nocturne City, #3)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • On the Prowl (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #2)
  • Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2)
Vaughn was born into a military family and has lived all over the U.S. She received a BA from Occidental College, after which she went on to work too many jobs to count until she went back to school to receive her MA from University of Colorado at Boulder. She currently lives in Boulder, CO.
More about Carrie Vaughn...
Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1) Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville #4) Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville #2) Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7) Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville #6)

“A fucked-up family's a fucked-up family, whether or not werewolves are involved.” 48 likes
“You're lucky to have a friend who will kill for you."

So. I once had a friend who died for me, and now one who killed for me. Why didn't I feel lucky?”
41 likes