Start by marking “A Gypsy at Almack's” as Want to Read:
A Gypsy at Almack's

Chloe Cheshire

A Gypsy at Almack's

ALWAYS A BRIDESMAID

Lucy Saint-Clair was a matchmaker par excellence. In three London seasons, she'd found husbands for her god-mother's daughters. Charming and good-hearted Lucy had a habit of speaking her mind - a quality that kept her own suitors at arm's length.

When her godmother's brother, Lord Rune, a rake with impeccable taste, agreed to help her snare a husband, Luc
Hardcover
Published by St Martins Pr (first published April 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Gypsy at Almack's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gypsy at Almack's

A regency romance written by a future Newbery award winner. What fun! It is a really refreshing change of pace to have an imperfect hero. Ernest is sickly and weak and considered old and likes his porcelain more than shooting or boxing. Still, Lucy loves him with a hero worshiping reverence and her belief that he can do no wrong inspires him to at least do less wrong.
Lesley-Anne McLeod
This is a super book. It breaks several romance 'rules', with a hero and heroine of original character. Just a great read.
Monica Edinger
Chloe Cheshire is a pen name. All I'm saying.
QNPoohBear
Lucy St-Clair is not a typical Regency miss. She's 21, stout with a big bossom, bookish and enjoys discussing things young ladies shouldn't be interested in or know about. Three Seasons ago she came to London to stay with her godmamma to be brought out but did not succeed in finding a husband. Now her parents want her to come home so they can send her younger sisters to be brought out. In one last attempt to find Lucy a husband, her godmamma, Tabitha, asks her dissipated, confirmed bachelor brot ...more
Susan
Mar 28, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After recently recommending this to a friend in the strongest terms, of course I had to re-read it to see if I'd made a mistake. I don't know if my friend will like it but I still LOVE it. It's refreshingly different from most regency romances, not so much in the overall plot, which is utterly standard, but in the details, the voice, the little anti-romantic touches. It's very funny, full of likable characters (even the "bad people" are likable), with a deft, low-key touch, and particularly well ...more
Emily
This was recommended to me by my friend Susan as a "classic romance" for my Reading Challenge. I enjoyed it quite a lot! The heroine is not your usual Regency-romance heroine, and I found myself laughing out loud in several places. The romance wasn't as swoony as I'd like, but I have incredibly high standards. ;)
Ginger
Sep 18, 2008 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book, because it is the first book published by Laura Amy Schlitz (written under pseudonym Chloe Cheshire), winner of this year's Newbery Medal for GOOD LADIES! SWEET MASTERS! VOICE FROM A MEDIEVAL VILLAGE. If you like regency romances, it's a delightful little book, especially when you are sleepless and sick. It's no Jane Austen, but still...it suffices.
Arlie
Feb 05, 2011 Arlie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluff-reads
This is a really delightful little book - a regency romance that offers quality fluffy reading. The characters have some depth, but more than anything, the book has humour. I actually laughed out loud a few times. A great way to relax.
Meggan Bobrow
Jan 04, 2016 Meggan Bobrow rated it it was amazing
I love this author (see Laura Amy Schlitz). This book reminds me of a classic Jane Austen with a bit of an edge. Sweet and entertaining, this book is a pleasure to read and hard to put down. I highly recommend it!
Joy
May 21, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Mely
Mostly adorable; the ending was perfectly done, as it avoided the boring "what happens after HAE" that romances so love.
Rachael Stein
I remember reading this in high school, in the throes of my regency romance phase. I'm tickled to learn that it's by Laura Amy Schlitz.
Alice
Alice rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2014
Theresa Depiano
Theresa Depiano rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2013
Pat rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Amy
Jan 22, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have loved an Epilogue :)
Trinhxuanhoai trinh
Trinhxuanhoai trinh rated it liked it
May 21, 2009
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Cheryl Breza
Cheryl Breza rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2016
Heather Bache
Heather Bache rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Thedoctorscompanion
Thedoctorscompanion rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Lauren
Oct 08, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent outside-the-box Regency story.
Bee Ridgway
Bee Ridgway rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013
Jodymac
Jodymac rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2010
Daphne
Daphne rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
e jean simpson
e jean simpson rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2008
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014