Start by marking “A Gypsy at Almack's” as Want to Read:

Chloe Cheshire

A Gypsy at Almack's

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  12 reviews
ALWAYS A BRIDESMAID

Lucy Saint-Clair was a matchmaker par excellence. In three London seasons, she'd found husbands for her god-mother's daughters. Charming and good-hearted Lucy had a habit of speaking her mind - a quality that kept her own suitors at arm's length.

When her godmother's brother, Lord Rune, a rake with impeccable taste, agreed to help her snare a husband, Luc
Hardcover
Published by St Martins Pr (first published April 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Gypsy at Almack's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gypsy at Almack's

Susan
After recently recommending this to a friend in the strongest terms, of course I had to re-read it to see if I'd made a mistake. I don't know if my friend will like it but I still LOVE it. It's refreshingly different from most regency romances, not so much in the overall plot, which is utterly standard, but in the details, the voice, the little anti-romantic touches. It's very funny, full of likable characters (even the "bad people" are likable), with a deft, low-key touch, and particularly well ...more
A regency romance written by a future Newbery award winner. What fun! It is a really refreshing change of pace to have an imperfect hero. Ernest is sickly and weak and considered old and likes his porcelain more than shooting or boxing. Still, Lucy loves him with a hero worshiping reverence and her belief that he can do no wrong inspires him to at least do less wrong.
Lesley-Anne McLeod
This is a super book. It breaks several romance 'rules', with a hero and heroine of original character. Just a great read.
Monica Edinger
Chloe Cheshire is a pen name. All I'm saying.
QNPoohBear
Lucy St-Clair is not a typical Regency miss. She's 21, stout with a big bossom, bookish and enjoys discussing things young ladies shouldn't be interested in or know about. Three Seasons ago she came to London to stay with her godmamma to be brought out but did not succeed in finding a husband. Now her parents want her to come home so they can send her younger sisters to be brought out. In one last attempt to find Lucy a husband, her godmamma, Tabitha, asks her dissipated, confirmed bachelor brot ...more
Emily
This was recommended to me by my friend Susan as a "classic romance" for my Reading Challenge. I enjoyed it quite a lot! The heroine is not your usual Regency-romance heroine, and I found myself laughing out loud in several places. The romance wasn't as swoony as I'd like, but I have incredibly high standards. ;)
Lauren
Excellent outside-the-box Regency story.
Ginger
I read this book, because it is the first book published by Laura Amy Schlitz (written under pseudonym Chloe Cheshire), winner of this year's Newbery Medal for GOOD LADIES! SWEET MASTERS! VOICE FROM A MEDIEVAL VILLAGE. If you like regency romances, it's a delightful little book, especially when you are sleepless and sick. It's no Jane Austen, but still...it suffices.
Arlie
This is a really delightful little book - a regency romance that offers quality fluffy reading. The characters have some depth, but more than anything, the book has humour. I actually laughed out loud a few times. A great way to relax.
Rachael Stein
I remember reading this in high school, in the throes of my regency romance phase. I'm tickled to learn that it's by Laura Amy Schlitz.
Joy
May 21, 2009 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Mely
Mostly adorable; the ending was perfectly done, as it avoided the boring "what happens after HAE" that romances so love.
Amy
Would have loved an Epilogue :)
valerie
valerie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Alexandria
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Erin Greenlee
Erin Greenlee marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Lorena Lara
Lorena Lara marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Wei Hou
Wei Hou marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Cthebookworm
Cthebookworm marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014