Start by marking “Exodus Code (Torchwood, #19)” as Want to Read:
Exodus Code (Torchwood, #19)

Exodus Code (Torchwood #19)

It starts with a series of unexplained events. Earth tremors across the globe. People being driven insane by their heightened and scrambled senses. And the world is starting to notice - the number one Twitter trend is #TheLoco. Governments and scientists are bewildered and silent. The world needs Torchwood, but there's not much of Torchwood left. Captain Jack has tracked t ...more
Published November 6th 2012 by BBC Books (first published September 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Exodus Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exodus Code

Hollow Earth by Carole E. BarrowmanI Am What I Am by John BarrowmanExodus Code by Carole E. BarrowmanAnything Goes by John BarrowmanChicks Dig Time Lords by Lynne M. Thomas
best books in my mind
3rd out of 20 books — 2 voters
Torchwood by Gary RussellTorchwood by Peter AnghelidesTorchwood by James GossTorchwood by Brian MinchinTorchwood by Trevor Baxendale
Best Torchwood Books
28th out of 35 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrew
Sep 25, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
You would expect this Torchwood novel, written by its star, John Barrowman (with his sister), to be fairly faithful to the tone of the TV series. And Exodus Code doesn't disappoint. As I read it, I could absolutely picture this being filmed for television. I could hear the actors saying their characters' dialogue, and imagined the scenes as they would be filmed. The Barrowman siblings have written a very visual novel. However, by throwing in an element of synesthesia, they've also created a stor ...more
Siân
I loved it. Loved it. It was brilliant. The storyline was gripping and the conclusion was fantastic. I love Carole's writing, and Captain Jack is there just like in the series on the telly. Highly recommended.
Lynette
Nov 19, 2013 Lynette rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 2013
Remember when Torchwood fought aliens? Yeah, I miss those days. I would have rather seen this filmed than Miracle Day, but that being said, I didn't really like it. In fact, I don't think I actually enjoyed it at any point. There were a lot of aspects of it that I felt were unnecessary - Rex, the kidnapping storyline, etc. I have no problem with - and, in fact, like seeing - so many gay characters, but it felt like almost everyone was gay/bisexual.

In addition, I just couldn't care about the plo
Lucinda
Jan 09, 2013 Lucinda rated it really liked it
An adrenaline-pumping, nail-bitingly brilliant read that is fast-paced and full of the unexpected!

This eagerly-awaited Torchwood novel, written by Carol E and John Barrowman (who played Captain Jack Harkness since 2005) certainly lives up to expectations. Full of intense drama and absorbing narrative this captivating, compelling read is a real page-turner. Complete within this universally loved creation are those distinctive, markedly memorable characters such as Gwen Cooper and Rhys, this book
R J Mckay
Sep 19, 2013 R J Mckay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
Who else but John Barrowman aka Captain Jack could write a Torchwood novel. John and Carole Barrowman do a fantastic job of staying true to Torchwood history.

In “Torchwood Exodus Code” women around the world are going insane, attacking loved ones and mutilating themselves. While across the earth, tremors are occurring. Geysers are popping up and underwater chimneys are venting toxic element. The world governments seem unable to cope with the growing catastrophe. This is just the sort of thing To
Mary
Jan 19, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First off, I am a big fan of the Torchwood television series, which would be the only reason to read this book. I doubt it would have much draw if you were not already familiar with the characters.

Second, I found this book to be quite readable and well written overall. I might have given it 2.5 stars. Yet it is deeply flawed—as part of the ongoing Torchwood drama. It doesn’t add much, if anything, to the individual characters’ development; we learn nothing new about Jack or Gwen, and they don’t
Carl
Jan 07, 2014 Carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given the authors, almost everything about Torchwood (including references to Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures) was included in this amazingly written novel. To be honest, it was the best Torchwood book I've read, and I've read almost all if them. I read this one in just under 24 hours: I couldn't put it down. The pacing was excellent and it was told in a way that reminded me of both Miracle Day and the original Torchwood series (aka it was brilliant). Obviously Captain Jack Harkness sto ...more
Eri
Oct 24, 2014 Eri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: torchwood
I'm still hesitating between 4* and 5*, very upset I can't set 4,5* because right here, I really want to use it.

So. Last Torchwood book I had to read. I enjoyed whole series with passion of fan who just found something they didn't know they missed from their life. So basically, I devoured them, including, with certain hesitation, this piece.

At first, this book didn't immediately catch my attention fully. It was kinda interesting, but I was still able to put it aside and go to sleep.
Because it
Dan
Sep 30, 2012 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Your enjoyment of this new Torchwood book probably depends largely on how much you enjoyed the TV show's fourth series, Miracle Day. If you hated it this isn't for you. If you thought it was OK though this is a decent follow up. It sees a new disaster for Earth where woman are having breakdowns and hydrothermal vents are popping up instantaneously all over the world. It doesn't look good.

The use of the main characters in this book is pretty atrocious. Gwen is one of the women having a breakdown
Carmen D
Mar 24, 2014 Carmen D rated it liked it
The book Torchwood: Exodus Code, written by John Barrowman and Carol E. Barrowmen, was very good, however a bit hard to read. It was as if an entire season of a show was smashed into one book and I tended to lose concentration of where I was or what was happening at certain points. I also feel as if the book jumped around into too many perspectives, and it was hard to keep track of what was happening at what time and place. However, the plot was fascinating and I liked how in the end everything ...more
Wayland Smith
Dec 02, 2014 Wayland Smith rated it really liked it
One of several Torchwood novels, this one is is actually by Jack Harkness himself, John Barrowman. It's set after Miracle Day, so the Torchwood crew is sadly reduced to Jack, Gwen, Rhys, and a few brief apperances by Rex Mathieson of the CIA.

What does a really bizarre experience Jack had in the 1930's have to do with women going crazy all over the world now, as well as undersea phenomena and the possible end of the world? And how does an apparent outbreak of synesthesia tie in?

This is a mostly
Amy
Jan 02, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
Maybe I'm still just bitter about the deaths of Ianto, Tosh and Owen and miss the days when Torchwood actually fought aliens but I just couldn't get into this as much as I wanted to. The writing was good though, so I have a feeling that I would have enjoyed this a lot more if it wasn't suppose to be a Torchwood book.

The plot was a little messy at times and the end seemed a little rushed and confusing, I wasn't really quite sure what happened.
Jim C
Apr 12, 2015 Jim C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book based on the television show and takes place after the series finale. It is co-written by the actor who portrayed the main character. In this one, certain females are not acting like themselves and one of these females is the character Gwen. Meanwhile, rock formations are sprouting in certain locations and both of these happenings are connected and mean the end of the world. It is up to the surviving members of Torchwood to come to the rescue.

This book had the feeling of the television sh
Wayne
Jan 16, 2016 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Torchwood has always run on a darker edge than Dr. Who or The Sarah Jane Chronicles. It is one of the things I liked about the show, especially in the early seasons. However, towards the end, it became oppressively dark, and way too many characters died (no spoilers other than this generic overview). This novel picks up long after all that aftermath, and I can say it carries the dark tradition to higher levels. Honestly, I can't say I disliked it, because it was quite good, but I definitely didn ...more
Gareth
Oct 20, 2013 Gareth rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Very disappointing after their excellent YA novel "Hollow Earth". Far too much build up and Gwen being a misery, before a weirdly abrupt ending. Was often a hard going read.
Jamie Revell
Aug 27, 2016 Jamie Revell added it
Shelves: who
This Torchwood novel is set not long after the events of Miracle Day, and has a similar premise: the world is once again threatened by a mysterious event that could bring about its end. Fortunately, it's nowhere near as long as Miracle Day, or at least doesn't feel that way, and it's quite an improvement over its inspiration.

Which is not to say that it's perfect; the sections with the Peruvian tribe are at times a little difficult to follow, and it's at times hard to make out what's really goi
Julia
Any chance to return to the “Torchwood” universe is good for me, but this takes place after “Miracle Day,” so Rex Matheson has a small part in this. I would have preferred he had no part, but that’s me.

In this book, Gwen, out grocery shopping with baby Anwen sees another woman who is clearly unwell. Then Gwen gets sick, her senses are all out of whack. She tries to kill Rhys and is hospitalized. Meanwhile, there are earthquakes happening, in places that have never had earthquakes: like Cardiff
Jun 11, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating for this is 3.5/5.

Expect to be confused if you decide to read this. At least at first. With the switching of point of views and location/year I found it very hard read and remember what had happening in the chapters. It wasn't until near the end of part 1 (the book is divided into 4 parts), that I began to understand what was happening. After that the switching of points of view lessened and the bulk of the story is from Gwen's point of view, in the present day, which I appreciated. Th
Adam Stone
Oct 12, 2013 Adam Stone rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Exodus Code is set in the aftermath of the events in Torchwood : Miracle Day but, rather than the sprawling epic that was the fourth series of Torchwood, this book is more akin to the third series of Torchwood : Children of Earth in its scope and breadth.

Captain Jack Harkness is the main character in the story and he is lovingly recreated in print which is probably not surprising when John Barrowman co-wrote this book but there is no doubt that he also understands Torchwood as this book is a re
Suzanne Rooyen
Dec 21, 2012 Suzanne Rooyen rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt-reads
More like 2.5/5 stars.

The Torchwood TV series is by far one of my favourite shows of all time principally because Capt. Jack Harkness is just such a complicated character. The last two seasons of Torchwood got really dark and posed some interesting questions with political, moral and economic ramifications. I loved that, the depth of the dilemmas and the very real human crises presented on screen. So that's what I was expecting from this book.

It started out strong. We get to see Capt. Jack being
annik
То ли из-за длительности, то ли из-за Барроумена в авторах, я заочно решила, что 1) эта книжка будет хитовой 2) меня будет не оторвать от нее и 3) это есть нечто фееричное, запутанное и с множеством флэшбеков. Стоит ли говорить, что эту книгу я мучала месяц, в течение которого я периодически впадала в неконтролируемое агрессивное состояние. Меня стало подташнивать от испанского акцента, Харкнесса, а также некоторых слов. И если кто-нибудь при мне скажет слово «хасиенда», я, боюсь, начну биться г ...more
Gena
Jun 18, 2013 Gena rated it liked it
I love Torchwood and I love John & Carole Barrowman! I picked up Exodus Code while in London since it hasn't been released here yet. It's a pretty good read - not as good as the Barrowman siblings YA series Hollow Earth. It starts off really good with a lot of action, a volcano, a secret Indian tribe and Jack dying again. Then it drifts into a really long sort of explanation of this weird synesthesia episode Jacks suffers which soon spreads to thousands of women around the globe.

I enjoyed t
Oct 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Got this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway. I was so excited to get my hands on a Torchwood book, and unfortunately, it was a roller coaster...of confusion.

With Ianto, Tosh, and Owen gone, the main characters left for me to latch onto, Gwen and Jack take the front page...well, Jack mostly. Gwen is quickly taken out of the picture, even though the book summary implies that she had a much more substantial role. The book also focuses on minor characters, which succeeded in dragging out a story t
Lizabeth Tucker
A Torchwood novel.

Set after the events in “Miracle Day”, the last Torchwood mini-series. The women of the world are suffering through hallucinations, anger issues, visions, and other issues that are driving them mad. In addition, there are unnatural disasters causing death and destruction around the planet. As usual, the various governments are unable to cope.

Gwen Cooper sees the issues firsthand and tries to contact Captain Jack Harkness without success. It isn’t much longer before she is also
Elisabeth
Aug 27, 2014 Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who-tw
About halfway through, I'm really enjoying the story. The writing, however, is surprisingly terrible. I thought Carole E. Barrowman was an English professor?? Even Anything Goes: My Autobiography was better than this, and I have pretty low standards for an actor's memoir. Here, awkward sentences, clumsy construction, and misplaced punctuation abound, along with my number one pet peeve, the dangling participle. Ugh. Put a crowbar in your wallet and hire an editor, people.

Still. The story is engag
Manda
Feb 17, 2013 Manda rated it really liked it
3.5. I read it for the first time before watching Miracle Day, and would have given it a 2.5. After watching that season, however, the book does improve somewhat, at least during the limited scenes between Jack and Gwen.

As in Miracle Day, the interactions between Jack, Gwen, and to some extent Rhys are the only thing that really pulled me in here. The book suffers from a lot of the same problems as Miracle Day, especially in its focus on minor characters. Gwen is taken rather quickly from the a
scavola scavola
Aug 17, 2016 scavola scavola rated it liked it
I liked it, I didn't love it. The characters rang true but, unlike Miracle Day, no new strong supporting characters were introduced. It jumped back and forth unnecessarily and incongruently, so that something that happend at the very end in the last few hours was hit on in the beginning and the middle? There were long stretches of explaining the technical twists and the main twist was too incredible even by Torchwood standards and not played true.
Daniel Kukwa
Nov 04, 2013 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: torchwood
There was a great deal in here that I loved: a new Torchwood-style crew that is based on a ship, a wonderful sci-fi idea as a new home for the Torchwood software, an exotic location, and a nice link to the hunt for the families responsible for the events of "Miracle Day", to say nothing of helix energy dating back to classic "Doctor Who" episodes.

The problem is actually the other Torchwood elements getting in the way. Not only do Gwen, Rhys & Andy feels superfluous to events, they all feel l
Rachel
Aug 08, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I had to subtract a star for the ending. It is one of my major pet peeves. Don't set up an ending, and then don't follow through with it and just skip from the character in jeopardy to the end. It's a book. Write the scenes. Show your work. It's not like a movie or a tv show where you have a budget and time limits and sometimes you can't really fit in the whole conclusion.
Amy
I listened to Exodus code using the whispersync feature available from Amazon and Audible. I enjoyed the narration, but I do have a nit-picky observation: the word geyser is pronounced guy-sur; the narrator kept saying (hard g) geezer, and this kept making me giggle. Point: it was slightly distracting. Overall (and other than), the narration was good.

I did like and enjoy the story, I thought it was a nice spin-off to Miracle Day. I wasn't super-crazy about the end for two reasons: I thought it
  • Long Time Dead (Torchwood, #17)
  • The Men Who Sold the World (Torchwood, #18)
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)
  • Torchwood: Pack Animals
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Torchwood: Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Torchwood: Consequences
  • Torchwood: Skypoint
  • The Undertaker's Gift (Torchwood, #14)
  • Torchwood: The Twilight Streets
  • Torchwood: The Sin Eaters
  • Torchwood: Slow Decay
  • Torchwood: Border Princes
  • Torchwood: Submission
  • I Am What I Am
I was born and raised in Glasgow, Scotland, which explains my inherent cheekiness and my sophisticated sarcasm gene. In the late seventies, my family immigrated to America where I've made a career out of my passions: reading, writing, and teaching.

I've written five books in collaboration with my brother, John Barrowman, and we're working on #6.

I'm an English professor and Director of Creative Stud
More about Carole E. Barrowman...

Torchwood (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Torchwood: Another Life
  • Torchwood: Border Princes
  • Torchwood: Slow Decay
  • Torchwood: Something in the Water
  • Torchwood: Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Torchwood: The Twilight Streets
  • Torchwood: Pack Animals
  • Torchwood: Skypoint
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)

“Jack refused to wear the traditional Cuari tunic. ‘If the world is going to end tonight, I’m going out with my trousers on.” 2 likes