Remember Everything You Read

Remember Everything You Read

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Developed by the nation's experts on speed reading and learning, these proven techniques have helped people increase their reading speed by 50%, and their comprehension by 80%.
Published April 21st 1990 by Crown (first published 1990)

Kaycee Looney
May 19, 2011 Kaycee Looney rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: others wanting to improve their reading speed
It took me some time to finish this book because the author has you practicing the new reading techniques as you go - and they aren't easy. :-o But, I am determined to get up to the 900 words per minute goal I set for myself at the outset. So, I'm practicing the new techniques I learned about on the current books I'm reading.

If you want to try and become a speed reader, don't think you're going to be Dr. Spencer Reid (from Criminal Minds) by the end of the book. There is a lot to learn and it D...more
Mark
This book was recommended to me by a prof at McMaster University who has it as required reading for his first year INQUIRY students. The conversation started when I questioned why he added it as required rather than optional. After chatting with him for about 15 minutes, and learning more about the book, I was convinced to pick it up and read it, even if all I got from it was the ability to read at twice my current speed. (I consider myself a slow reader and have always wished I could read faste...more
Karen
I had to take this book back to the library before I could really practice the exercises in it. I read it through and had wanted to go back and do them to see what I could actually do with everything in there. I will have to check it out again to do that. I really believe if you apply the premise of this faithfully, you could read in a n amazing much quicker manner. I actually finished it quite awhile back, having pushed through it in a few days. doing the exercises in it is a need to really get...more
Tim Andersen
This book is a nice ice-breaker for speed reading. It won't help you get practice speed reading, but it helps explain how it could possible work. It's very encouraging to see that this valuable skill can be learned by almost anyone willing to practice.
Erika
This is a book that helps you, most of all, with studying techniques.

I initially picked it up with the idea that it would contain some drills to help me increase my reading speed. It does have some explanations of techniques that help you to speed up your reading rate but it wasn't exactly what i had in mind. It didn't contain anything, about that matter, that i didn't know before.

What it did have, and thought was really interesting and helpful, were the studying techniques. It says how you are...more
Vivian
I liked this book but there was a lot about taking notes and tests. I just want to read fast. The problem is, when I do what they say, I have no comprehension. I guess I just have to practice just like with everything.

It teaches the two stop method of reading and different patterns for reading a page - underlining hand motion, S hand motion, the question mark, etc. This is taken from the Evelyn Wood speed reading program.

The problem is - it contradicts with the other speed reading book I got fr...more
Darus Trutna
Excellent book detailing great techniques to improve reading speed, note taking for memorization, and test taking skills. It's directed mainly for students in school but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a wonderful experience when I was finally able to break through 900 words per minute and enjoy "Mental Soaring" as they call it. This is a reading speed where you are beyond sub-vocalization, regression, and reading word for word. You are scanning chunks of words in a more vertical fashion (zig-za...more
Alhashemiah
learned a lot about speed reading and studying!
it was my first step towards faster, more effective reading .. and to be honest .. it was a huge step!

Trevor
best insights: use your hands to pace yourself down the page and do not regress (ie. keep moving forward).
Dan
This book provided some good perspective on reading, more specifically what an average person does when they read. Its runs through a bunch of ideas and guidelines to becoming a faster reader.
Like almost all things, the key to becoming a speed reader is a strong will to do so and practice, pratice, practice. My general impression is speed reading strongly dependent on a high degree of concentration on the act of reading. Nothings ever easy.

I would suggest this book to any student entering coll...more
Dani
I found this book in my local public library. Having read the reviews on this site, I wasn't sure if I should get this one or Triple Your Reading Speed. So, I decided to give both a go. My library did not have the other, so it will have to wait until tomorrow when I can hit up Books-A-Million.

All in all, I finished this book in around 8 hours. Though, truth be told, I skipped the sections pertaining solely to study skills. I have been out of school for quite some time now, and felt them unneces...more
Andreas
This book describes the Evely Wood method to improve your reading speed together with comprehension and recall. Students are the main target so it's not only about reading faster but also about planning your schedule, writing and practical tips how to take exams.

The methods presented here are very interesting and similar to what I already heard before. I have tried some with the book itself after chapter 6 and was surprised how good they work. It's not only about moving your eyes faster. A book...more
Ben Iliff
This method is the real deal, no gimmicks. It can change everything you thought you knew about reading, learning, and retaining information... if you practice it. I doubled my speed in an hour. I read Lincoln on Leadership in 1.5 hours the first time I tried speed reading an entire book. Before, it would have taken me at least 5 hours, and I would have retained less.
Tia
This is a great book with such valuable information for anyone that reads, rather for pleasure or for school or work purposes. This particular version is pretty out of date so I found that some of the techniques I had trouble using for example the hand movements while you read; because I use my e reader I couldn't literally touch the pages and move my hand or the page would change. Plus, there are references to typewriters and how to set them up for papers and things and now I use my laptop so i...more
Robin Edman
Repetitive and self-congratulatory. And useless to improve memory, which is what the title promised. I was already a fast reader.
Trevor
A fun and easy read, basically a concise summary of general speed reading and study techniques. I'm stuck in the 500-600 wpm range and can't fully grasp how to break through to the >900 range the book discusses while maintaining any sort of comprehension. That being said, I highly recommend it for anyone who feels they read too slowly, the basic techniques will easily double or triple your reading speed.
Brittany
The strategies as outlined in the book do assist with maintaining concentration and allowing the reader to improve reading time. However, I agree with several other readers in the fact that the book did not need as many "it changed this reader's life" type stories. We wouldn't be reading the book if we did not intend to at least try to strategies in the book.
Jt
Entire book in summation: Use your fingers to trace. Also, Evelyn Wood is fantastic - here's some testimonials.

Seriously, though. This book spends more time telling you success stories than how to create your own success story. It did, however, give me a chance to practice some speed reading, what with me finishing it in less than two hours.
Henny
I also bought Break-through Rapid Reading by Peter Kump, which is more like a course. This little book offered more like an overview of the method to put Break-through in a perspective. It is however aimed at students studying for tests in therefore less suitable for people who want to use it in every part of their reading-life.
Mark
Gives some cool information on speed reading and learning techniques. Somewhat useful, but the title is misleading, since I don't recall any mention on the topic of techniques for actually obtaining significant recall abilities. Or maybe I'm just bad at recall...
John
the first 50 or so pages of this book were like a sales pitch, there is some good information but nothing I really didn't know.
Niquole Abram
I literally just read this book. Unkowingly I got the same book from the library with a different cover. Whoops!
Mitchell
Mildly helpful. I think the main objective of the course is to get you to sign up for one of their courses
Reuel
I wonder if it's feasible to try to incorporate these strategies into upper level ESL reading classes?
Kristen Fowler
This book has given me many techniques for speed reading that I didn't know previously.
Ryan
Jan 24, 2010 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Was a great way to start the new year...reading a book that will help me read faster.
Diana
Man I wish I had read this book in college!!! Oh the hours wasted!!!
The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program Evelyn Wood: 7 Day Speed Reading