Start by marking “Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sammy Keyes and the Se...

Wendelin Van Draanen

Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes #7)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,445 ratings  ·  66 reviews
In her most dangerous mystery to date, Sammy is literally left holding the bag! When a strange girl who is trying to escape from a scary looking guy at the mall asks her to watch her shopping bag and then flees, Sammy is alarmed to discover that inside the bag is a baby! In her seventh adventure, the intrepid detective puts her life on the line as she confronts the seamy g ...more
Audio
Published January 1st 2003 by Live Oak Media (NY) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes

Cinnamon
Sammy Keyes is a great detective series for upper elementary and middle school readers. There is always enough humor, mystery and adventure to suit a wide audience. Plus, the author often pulls in issues that are current in our society.

Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes has Sammy being drawn into the middle of the gang world in her hometown. One day, while hanging at the arcade, Sammy runs into a girl who is clearly on the run. The girl asks Sammy to watch her shopping bag while she attem
Nazik
Sammy and her friend Marissa were in the arcade room of the mall. All of a sudden, a girl a few years older than Sammy gives her a Sears bag and begs Sammy to keep the bag and return it to her later in the day at 7 p.m. The stranger was in a hurry and in all the confusion of the arcade noise, Sammy agrees. After the stranger leaves, Sammy looks in the Sears bag and sees something very unexpected, a baby. Sammy just got herself into big trouble. She came back to the mall at 7p.m. and waited for h ...more
Bruce
Sammy’s best friend Marissa wants to know how she gets into these things. They’re just hanging at the video arcade. Marissa’s just finished her game and turns to see Sammy holding the bag that a girl told her to hold because she was afraid some creepy guy was going to kill her. Now the girl that handed Sammy the bag has disappeared leaving them, two seventh-graders, with a bag full of baby! And, as they eventually discover, not any baby, but the son of a member of the notorious South West gang.
Teri Gorleski
I couldnt beleive that someone could actually be shaking to death! The scariest thing in this book yo me is how Wendalin Van Draanen described Raymond Ramirez or snake eyes. I coudnt even picture him I could picture snake eyes but steel for a mouth? Not likely but I still loved everything. It was a horrific but very good book. I loved it. I feel like the Sammy Keyes series could go on forever.
Lisa Rathbun
I didn't even know this was a series; just found it at a book sale and started reading it. It's fast-paced and exciting as 7th grader Sammy plunges into the dangerous, gang-filled world of Tigertown, propelled by a Sears bag left in her care by a terrified girl with strange scars on her arm. A couple uses of profanity but not too prevalent. I want to read more in this series.
Kim
Calling all of you who love MYSTERIES. Sammy Keyes is an awesome series. Sammy (short for Samantha) lives with her grandma in a retirement community. That means that Sammy has to sneak in and out of the building by the fire escape because kids are not allowed. In this book, Sammy gets mixed up with an abandoned baby and a gang. Sammy is a gutsy kid - you'll really root for her!
Christy
Sammy’s softball team is in contention for the Junior Slugger’s Cup, and all she wants to do is hunker down behind home plate and catch strikes. But Heather Acosta brings new meaning to the term “foul ball” as she schemes to get Sammy kicked off the team. And Sammy is thrown a wild pitch by a frantic girl in the mall. She begs Sammy to watch something for her and then dash...moreSammy’s softball team is in contention for the Junior Slugger’s Cup, and all she wants to do is hunker down behind hom ...more
Shelley
I think this one is my least favorite in the series. I felt Sammy was reckless and not a good role model for kids who follow Sammy Keyes books. It was actually very dangerous what Sammy did. I know I wouldn't have done it even as an adult. It also made me really angry that I wanted to throw the book across the room when Sammy & Marissa were trying to tell everyone they were innocent of the crime and yet, once again, no one would listen to them. Yeah I know this is only a made up story, but h ...more
Irah Shaikh
Sep 16, 2012 Irah Shaikh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Read In ORDER
Recommended to Irah by: Yuserera
They are best in ORDER:

1)Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief (April 1998)
2)Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (August 1998)
3)Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (April 1999)
3)Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (October 1999)
5)Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Mustache Mary (May 2000)
6)Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (February 2001)
7)Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (May 2002)
8)Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (April 2003)
9)Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (October 2004)
10)Sammy Keyes a
Judy Khalifa
A brave and courageous girl and her best friend have to go through difficult, strange, foreign, and, most importantly, dangerous. Sammy Keyes and her best friend, Marrissa McKenze. Sammy and Marrissa are in the arcade in the mall when a girl runs to them and hands them a bag. She looks like a 21 year old. She's running away from someone, and before they can refuse to take the bag, she's gone. Guess what they find in the bag? A baby. Soar through their adventures with them: stalked by gangsters, ...more
Ruth
Sammy is in the arcade with her friend Marissa trying to get her mind off of the upcoming softball tournament when she meets a girl not much older than herself who looks absolutely terrified. When she tries to help she ends up with the girl’s bag after being told not to go to the police and finds a baby inside. When the girl does not return like she said she would, Sammy must find the mother before it is too late. To make matters worse, her archnemesis Heather is trying to frame her and get Samm ...more
Mandy
Listening to this audio book and others in this series with my children has started discussions about big topics. The topics have included gangs, drugs, personal safety, lying, stealing, homelessness, and others. They are really great books for 'tweens and I'm enjoying them again, too. Sammy and her friends are adventurous and funny.
Susan
I really like the Sammy Keyes books. Of course, they are totally unbelievable, but they're fun and exciting.

In this one Sammy is handed a sack by a girl while she's in the mall. The girl is hiding from a totally evil man--who has a striking snake tattoo on his arm. She tells Sammy to meet her at 7 p.m. When Sammy picks up the sack, it's really heavy. She looks inside and finds...a baby. Well, of course, the mother never shows up. Although the police are looking, Sammy is a lot smarter than the
Rithika
first book i read in 5th grade of the sammy keyes series
Meredith
Good lord, this series is getting hardcore!
Athera
Gave so much suspension
Soul
I extremely enjoy reading the Sammy Keyes series. I have read almost all except for the Hollywood Mummy, i would have to say my favorite would be this one so far because of all the excitement, and back and forth with the mystery. The whole time i been reading this book i been craving to see what was going to happen next, or to see exactly who the culprit was. i give this book a 10/10 and i would most defiantly recommend this book to anyone that is into the mystery series.
Louis
I learned that sammys soccer team wants to win the game and all sammy wants is to score as much points for her team to win the game,and after they win the game sammy sees a snake that has eyes that look weird and sammy thinks that if she ever has snake eyes people would look at her and say that she looks nice. I like this book because this book is my favorite one from all the books that i've read in my whole life.
Christina
The thing that first drew me to Sammy was her intelligence and spunky personality. She gets herself into terrible situations, then uses her brains to work it out. I was a little disappointed in this book when she seemed to get into bad situations not by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but by making bad decisions.

In spite of that, I still enjoy the books and will keep reading them.
Gena Lott
Sammy has done some growing up since the first volume in the series. Also, she has become more human as her flaws are more evident: I mean, who doesn't like babies?
The story is well done, perhaps not as good as the first one in the series, but still an enjoyable read, and very timely as it deals with gangs.
Fifth and sixth grade readers should find it engaging.
Melissa Dean
Great Middle Grade book, full of voice!!
Tamar
It was the first Sammy Keyes book I read. My dad found it for at a consignment shop. I loved the twist on a detective - Sammy doesn't have to out of school like Nancy Drew, she does things her own way. Even without having read the other books, I had a good sense of the story after only the first ten pages.
David R.
The author is reaching out a little with this one--into topics that seemed to me to be better suited for an older reading-audience. However, after reading this book for the third of fourth time, I have discovered that I enjoy it almost as much as the others in the Sammy Keyes mystery series.
Brett
Sammy Keyes continues to be extremely appealing & incredibly readable, but she also continues to get into more serious territory. This book deals with gangs, & Sammy has some very serious confrontations with the dark side of life.
Victoria
Good book for older elementary or MS kids. We listened to it in the car on a road trip and all of us enjoyed it, even my husband. Some gang and mature themes but nothing too crazy. Good mystery and plot. Funny, too.
Sella Malin
i like these books- it's my favorite mystery series. the mysteries are really interesting, and sammy keyes is awesome. I love it when I find out who's the culprit a second before sammy does.
Shirley Lu
this book was good and i liked it it wasnt my very favorite book but it's in my good books list! it was really freaky but exciiting at the same time and intresting on top of it all
Brooke
This was Sammy's best crook capture. Even better than the one in Skeleton Man. XD
And that is just about the only thing I liked about this book. Even though it's, you know, Sammy.
Lilly
This was really good, but really intense and pretty sad but realistic. I don't want to spoil it but it's about a girl who is "abused" by her boyfriend.
Katy
My least favorite Sammy so far (though obviously still enjoyable). Sammy was just so reckless and unconcerned about others that it made me kind of crazy.
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • Marcia's Madness (Sisters Eight, #5)
  • Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws
  • Behind the Curtain (Echo Falls, #2)
  • Wolf Stalker (Mysteries in Our National Parks, #1)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Stop That Bull, Theseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #5)
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • Free Baseball
  • Murder on the Fourth of July (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #28)
  • Belle Teale
  • Wilma Tenderfoot: the Case of the Frozen Hearts
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Hobbs
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influe ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...

Sammy Keyes (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things (Sammy Keyes, #11)
Flipped The Running Dream Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief Runaway Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)