Start by marking “Enchantress of Crumbledown” as Want to Read:
Enchantress of Crumbledown

Enchantress of Crumbledown

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Published July 1st 1990 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Enchantress of Crumbledown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchantress of Crumbledown

Melissa Ercanbrack
I have read this book so many times I have lost count, it is a darling story and I never get sick of it.
Asenath
This was my first "favorite book ever"
Dottie
This book is written for youth, but is delightful to anyone. Three children of an abusive foster home run away to a crumble-down house and discover someone already lives there. At first she seems like a witch, but then she becomes their enchanted friend. She teaches about art and poetry and literature and acting while teaching and quoting Emily Dickinsen, Henry David Thorough, Shakespeare, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and others.

She creates a fantasy world for the children, but really its not fantasy,
Susie Prendergast
All I could think was "STRANGER DANGER!" and I was so relieved when the older brother showed up to echo my thoughts. I liked parts of it, but I didn't love this book. I think it is supposed to feel like an old fashioned book, but it just didn't win me over.
Debbie
I have loved this book since I first read it and read it often still. My full review is on my personal book blog, I hope you find it worth you while. Ther is an excerpt below the link.

"When three children, Ashley, Brittany, and Theodore, runaway from their neglectful foster parents they take refuge in a little abandoned cabin in the woods, but they aren't alone. In the morning they awake to a mysterious older lady named Cassandra Du Marrier who informs t
Michelle L.
My 5th grade students really enjoy this book. I enjoyed it as well. It was a simple read with a touching message. I would recommend it to my students and have!
Tiffany
What an interesting read. I enjoyed this as a child about 11 or 12 years old. I just finished reading it again twenty years later with my niece and still enjoyed it. I loved how the author put pieces of other stories to help him tell his story. It was expanding the minds of the kids in the book. It made me pull out my Robert Frost poems and become inspired by the sheer happiness of the enchantress.

A fun read, but it needs to have a discussion with children that read it.
Pat
This was shared by a friend. It was a story about three children that were in foster homes that run away. The come upon a cottage that is deep in the forest and in shambles. They meed a lady that has come to live their and find more happiness than they have ever experienced. They learn to love life and Cassie helps them each find and develope their own special talents.
Where did Cassie come from.....Read and find out!
Aroura
I received this for christmas when I was maybe 10 or 11 and was fully prepared to hate it. After all, it came from an adult and what could they know about what I would like. I was completely taken off guard by how much I loved this book. It is enchanting! Beautiful story. Unfortunately I haven't seen it in years and have no idea where my copy went, but I just remember loving loving loving this book while I was growing up.
Katie
Heidi says it's good, I'll try it :)

I liked the book. I will admit though, that the "enchantress" worried me a little bit with her perkyness. I really started wondering first off if she had come from a loony-bin. But, as the children fell in love with her and Crumbledown, I fell in love with them too. Cassie has an extrodinary way to teach about art, both the language and visual aspect of it.

Allison
Too bad their is no picture for this one. I got this book for my 10th birthday from my grandparents and was enthralled with this book! At 10 years old, I would not put it down! I remember I would read it once a year! It's one of those books that you would consider what you would do stranded in the woods with your brother and sister.
Melissa T
Delightful read. I would have enjoyed it more as a 12-year-old, but still liked it. It's funny the things that you think are charming as a child can leave you vaguely disturbed as an adult! All I can think of is, "what if MY kids read this and thought it would be a good idea to run away?"
Suzanne
Really liked this book when I was in Elementary School, came across it the other day and thought i'd read it again, I remembered it being a lot better than it actually was, but i'm not 8 anymore either. I'd recommend it for your kids though.
Elesa Hagberg
Heidi
I received this book as a young adult and still love it today. I have read it many times. I don't know for sure what draws me to it, but I still enjoy reading and imagining with the characters in the book.
Pam
Another book on my shelf that I have never read. Enjoying it thus far.

I absolutely loved this book and recommend it to families. This is a book that is great read to your children outloud.

Janice
May 03, 2008 Janice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All of you and my grandkids
Recommended to Janice by: I found it in the Institute Library
Shelves: fictional-novel
I loved this book!!! It is for all boys and girls young and old. A very thoughtful book about foster children, getting old and hopes and dreams. What a fun time had by all.
Rachel
This book was good, but sad because the whole time I was reading it I knew that it would not end too good. I do enjoy the free spiritedness of it though.
Lewestover
I know it's written for "youth", but I found this book to be surprisingly touching. There are lessons for all ages in this story of survival and love.
Christy
Sweet, touching, tearjerking, but not corny. Tough combo to pull off. I think this is geared toward teens/young adults, but I would read it again.
Ashton
Another book I received as a gift from my Grandma Ward. This is a really really interesting book that teaches many lessons. I would reccomend it.
Aubrey
My Aunt gave me this book when I was little. I remember it was fun and full of imagination.
Amy
Jan 11, 2008 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with an imagination
I discovered this book when I was a teenager and it was my favorite for a long time.
Lholfeltz
An excellent story to read with children or on your own. Delightful characters.
Tracy
I've had this book since the third grade. It is a fun adolescent story.
Cassi
Written for young adolescents - I loved it when I was younger
Lindsay
May 15, 2008 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lindsay by: mom
I read this book as a teenager, and am still very fond of it.
Melissa
A cute young adult book written by my BYU proffessor!
Sidra
I read this book when I was 10 or 11 and I loved it!
Liza
If I were 8, I might enjoy this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Rummage Sale Frost in the Orchard Zinnie Stokes (A Novel) The rummage sale: Collections and recollections