Start by marking “Lone Star” as Want to Read:
Lone Star

Lone Star (An Edna Ferber Mystery #1)

In Hollywood for the filming of her novel, Giant, author Edna Ferber and her sidekick, Mercedes McCambridge, get involved in investigating the murder of a young actress, said to be James Deans mistress.
Audio
Published April 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Lone Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lone Star

Cathy Cole
On the face of it, Lone Star is going to appeal most to those who are interested in 1950s Hollywood with its classic films and movie stars, its secrets and scandals. I grew up with two movie buffs, and I learned a lot through osmosis. I've also read Ferber's books and watched Giant and many, many other movies of the period. With all this having been said, I still think there's a lot in Lone Star that will appeal to readers who are arriving on the scene completely clueless.

Edna Ferber makes an in
Sharone
Look. I didn't come to this book with extremely high expectations. I was hoping to be entertained with an interesting story built around a movie and author I've been studying. But this book is just hard to read. There is so. much. telling. The narrator tells us all the time that she is frustrated and tired and hot an a million other things. Then there's the telling that's especially out of place with first person narration. "I consider such indulgence [a nap] a sign of weakness." "It's my custom ...more
Diane
I found several factual errors, maybe because I am a HUGE James Dean fan. One is small - James smoked Winston's, not Chesterfield's - the other two are not - Marcus Winslow was his cousin, NOT his nephew, and this was after the author mentioned that James was an only child. Also, James' Spyder was a 550, not a 547.
Cybercrone
Not too sure of this series. First one I've read. Background interesting, plot so-so, but voices of characters not really ringing true, nor is the language used.
I'll try a couple more and see how they progress.
Patricia
Mar 11, 2009 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hollywood in 1956 comes alive as you turn the pages of Lone Star. Edna Ferber arrives in Hollywood for the filming of her novel Giant. Edna renews old acquaintances and meets new ones on the set of Giant. Edna senses that there is something going on behind the scenes and when she finally uncovers the truth she finds herself plunged into a murder investigation.

A bit player that had been removed from the production of Giant is sending threatening letters to the studio making accusations against Ja
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Praise for Lone Star..."A promising first] in what could be a long-running and highly entertaining series."-BooklistIt's 1955, and Edna Ferber is basking in the success of her blockbuster novel Giant. Headed to Los Angeles, where director George Stevens and Warner Brothers Studio are filming her Texas oil epic, she is eager to meet Rock Hudson, Liz Taylor, and especially the young James Dean.But there is trouble brewing. Dean, the new box-office sensation and teen heartthrob, has been accused of

Tim
Sep 15, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a well-written mystery that makes a famous novelist (Edna Ferber) an amatuer sleuth when someone is murdered on the set of the film "Giant" (based off of her novel of the same name). Edna works to solve the crime and to save James Dean, one of the films stars, who has been accused of the murder. Along the way, we meet a littany of characters that were actually real-life movie stars, directors, etc., as well as a few who are completely fictional.

The mystery takes several twist and turns
Susan
Edna Ferber leaves her comfort zone to visit Hollywood and the movie set of her novel Giant. Warner Brothers plans a blockbuster starring everyone's favorite actor, Rock Hudson, the beautiful Elizabeth Taylor, and the young actor James Dean. Dean is a disruptive force, with many changing girlfriends. When one of them is murdered, the police suspect Dean, but Ferber and the other women of the production disagree. Ifkovic has history on his side in this one, as the reader knows what is going to ha ...more
Melinda Elizabeth
Perhaps it is a requisite to be familiar with the film Giant, and James Dean in order to get the most out of this novel. As a random book I picked up, it was sufficiently well done, but a little melancholy and wordy at times.
Papalodge
Generic Hollywood tidbits, not to be confused with reality.
Ferber's character enjoyable.
McCambridge's character too bland for such a strong personality.
Dean? Who really knew?
Other characters mere fluff to fill out the story.
Karan
Oct 08, 2009 Karan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining what was life like there in that time
Karen
Jul 13, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly makes me want to rent the movie Giant and see these characters in the flesh.
Looking forward to the next Edna book.
Eliza
Nov 22, 2009 Eliza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mean, this is not a great book, but it is fun if you liked Giant, and he made Edna Ferber into a sleuth! What a great idea.
Helen Howerton
Mar 09, 2015 Helen Howerton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ed Ifkovic definitely has a way with words! And using Edna Ferber as the detective -- brilliant.
Jana
Jana rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2010
Lelia
Lelia rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Lori Anderson
Lori Anderson rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Stephen L Carter
Stephen L Carter rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Claudia
Claudia rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2011
Lee Mac
Lee Mac rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2009
Gasparde
Gasparde rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2017
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Susan Brown
Susan Brown rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Harriet
Harriet rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Anthony Dale
Anthony Dale rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Shara Mortimer
Shara Mortimer rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
AKA Edward Ifkovic

Ed Ifkovic taught literature and creative writing at a community college in Connecticut for over three decades, and now, retired, devotes himself to writing fiction. His short stories and essays have appeared in such diverse periodicals as the Village Voice, America, Hartford Monthly, and the Journal of Popular Culture. He’s published fiction with small presses, including a novel
More about Ed Ifkovic...

An Edna Ferber Mystery (7 books)
  • Escape Artist: An Edna Ferber Mystery