The Search for Significance: Book and Workbook

The Search for Significance: Book and Workbook

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  2,652 ratings  ·  116 reviews
WE CAN BUILD OUR SELF-WORTH ON OUR ABILITY TO PLEASE OTHERS, OR ON THE LOVE AND FORGIVENESS OF JESUS CHRIST

In The Search for Significance, Robert McGee shows readers how to find true self-worth, based on the love, acceptance and forgiveness of Christ, and how to get off the performance treadmill. This classic best-selling book has changed the lives of millions of people b

Published August 1st 1998 by Word Publishing,US (first published November 30th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Search for Significance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search for Significance

Heidi Bylsma
God has used this book, in conjunction with two others, to help me see so many ways in which I had been living a lie in my Christian life. God has used McGee's words to "shine the light" on my very performance oriented approach to life. God has exposed my fear of failure, my tendency toward perfectionism and many other ways in which I have "bought in" to the Enemy's plan.

This book is rooted in scripture and I found the author's handling of the bible responsible and appropriate. In fact, don't m...more
Janet Richards
My pastor's wife gave this to me today - it could not have come at a better time. That was not an accident.

Very timely book for me and a lot of rich content. I will re-read this again and again. When my children are older - I'd also like them to read it and start out with a better perspective of true success than I did.
Jonathan Woodward
This book has potential, but it is too focused on the ego. The emotional aspect of this book is distracting. The author wants you to embrace the fullness of justification in God. That is a wonderful thing, and in many places he does it well. However, McGee seems to makes this more egocentric rather than christocentric. I would still recommend it to someone struggling with self-worth.
Liz
The Search for Significance falls under "Christian self-help." It covers four core fears/lies people believe about themselves:
-I must meet certain standards to feel good about myself.
-I must be approved by certain others to feel good about myself.
-Those who fail are unworthy of love and deserve to be punished.
-I am what I am. I cannot change. I am worthless.

and then uses Scripture to address each belief. The author is a counselor; I suspect this book is a culmination of his counseling techniques...more
Ron
Maybe 3.5 stars. I expected to like it better, and it contains lots of solid, scriptural guidance on being all God designed us to be.

Then why the low rating? Because less than a hundred pages of substance is diluted by over two hundred pages of anecdotes, Reader's Digest-style self evaluations and study guides. Not that any of those were bad, but they distracted from the real material.

Still, a good read.
Kelly
This is probably my favorite book of all-time. Perhaps because of its relevance to me at the time of reading it. I read it during college, when I was really seeking to find purpose and acceptance in my life. This book brings to light the universal lies that trigger our feelings of self-doubt and unworthiness. It is important to remain focused and aware of the fact that we all serve a greater purpose as God's children and that he created us all with the greatest amount of significance possible! S...more
Debbie
"The Search for Significance" is a study about what we usually do to try to feel significant versus the truths in God's Word about where to find our true significance. Those who hope to find happiness and significance through meeting certain standards or gaining approval from certain people will find that it doesn't last.

This book helps you to identify where you currently look for significance, explores the Bible for the truth about how God sees us, and teaches us how to replace lies with truth...more
Christopher Long
Mr. McGee is a super-smart guy who conveys his message well. That alone warrants four stars. And he certainly offers readers five stars' worth of Jesus. However, given that I actually felt LESS significant and even MORE condemned AFTER reading it, I can only cough up a three-star rating. It's awesome that McGee's book has seemingly helped so many people. But for me, I walked away from the experience learning only that, no matter what, even when I'm right -- I'm wrong.
Vangelicmonk
Oct 12, 2007 Vangelicmonk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every Christian who wants to grow
Shelves: spiritualhelp
I had to read this book for a Seminary class. However, I found it very helpful. The book hits upon various issues a saint will face in his walk with God and spiritual struggles. The part of the book that impacted me the most was the last three chapters that touched upon issues dealing with overcoming the deception we let ourselves fall into over and over and how to come out of that. It is similar to what I have seen in Cognative Therapy, but this touches upon the spiritual renewing of our minds....more
Jon
Hit home for me, big-time. The book was given to me over 12 years ago, and I keep coming back to it. I'll occasionally meet folks who struggle with the same core equation McGee defines in the book, (performance + the approval of others = significance), and recommend it wholeheartedly. Love the worksheets the book comes with as well.
Dec 04, 2008 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Christian
Recommended to Laura by: Brian
This book should be read by every Christian! It talks about getting our self worth from God and not from our performance or others' opinions of us. The fist half is the book and the second half is the workbook. It will touch your heart and encourage your soul! I am so glad to be free from Satan's bonds of lies.
Jessie Dee
This book is like the bible to me. Which is heretical, so I won't say that- but almost. It's life changing. I read it whenever I am insecure or unsure of God's love for me. Read it!
David
Aug 18, 2008 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every Christian
Recommended to David by: Don
The prefect book for Christian that suffer from addiction to the praise of others. Practical biblical insight into the lies that we tell ourselves to make us feel better.
Ashley
Jul 23, 2010 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ashley by: JoEllen
Shelves: faith
a challenging and important read. Quite possibly, one of the best books on who we are in God and His truth that I've ever read (and worked through). Highly recommended.
Hon3yb33
Mar 30, 2007 Hon3yb33 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I read this book with five other women in Mercywalk and it was a true healing process. I need to read it again.
Kelly Hammerle
This book began my journey to understand that God loves me and that I matter to Him.
Billiejo
Life-changing potential! Great book to read, study and re-read.
Dave Courtney
The Search For Significance was written I believe about 15 years ago and went on to become a national best seller. It is written by a professional counselor who founded an organization that offers health care to those with psychiatric needs and those who have suffered abuse. The read itself is simple, practical and to the point, and accentuates thoughts and truth about finding our true self worth in God that we may feel we know and have heard many times over (certainly within the Christian world...more
Katherine
WARNING! To anyone who reads this, do not read if you are suicidal or have any form of psychosis.

This book was recommended to me after a failed suicide attempt. I was excited to see what materials in the book could help me and help me to see the truth of the Word of God and God's will for his children when they are struggling. I found it exciting that there was a Christian book which used psychological theories to back it up.

That said, this book was beyond disappointing. The author's understandi...more
Cindy Deister
This book changed my life and strengthened my relationship with God. My husband and I read it together and have reminded each other of its truths since.I would recommend this book to anyone struggling to find purpose in this life!
Angela
Excellent book for a Christian who feels stuck in their spiritual growth or for a new Christian to start off right. Every Christian should read this book if they are serious about their walk with the Lord!
Thewritingmommy
this book changed my life. as i read it, though i had always known about Jesus, i had never truly had a relationship with Him. i read in this book the truth from God's view and the world's view- and i was finally able to make sense of it- and i finally began to believe that God might save even me, through Jesus. I finally believed that had i been the only person on earth, Christ would still have gone to the cross for me, and though i didn't understand it yet, i began to believe it in faith and m...more
Gretchen
I have read and re-read this book, first alone, then with a friend, and then, leading a group. This book opened my eyes to the fact that i am loved because of who I am and WHOSE I am. It helped me get to the root of what my emotions meant, and gave me perspective re: why I act the way I do. Best of all, though, McGee gives advice re: learning to define our behaviors and thoughts based on the truth of how God sees us, rather than how culture defines us.
Tiffani
This is my all time favorite "self esteem" book. It doesn't puff one up or even help one find their self worth through themselves or things they do. Rather, it builds one's worth on what God says about them. When things crumble in the world, having a firm foundation of who you are in Christ will allow one to go through storms easily. This is by far one of the most recommended books to my clients in counseling.
Beth Murray
I have read this book multiple times, lead a study on it and used it a resource in my counselling practice. This is one of the most concise books I've come across that looks at the basic issues that we tend to have in our human experience, especially with regard to our core beliefs. McGee tackles the most common areas where our core beliefs can become skewed -- he identifies the problem and shines the light of God's word into it with the solution. It is well written, filled with Biblical truth a...more
Sh
One of those books I keep coming back to and re-reading for encouragement and growth.
Linda
This book is about self-worth based on the love, acceptance and forgiveness of Christ, rather than our accomplishments or the opinions of others. Unique to the treatment of this popular subject, McGee connects these positive qualities to the different aspects of the cross; justification, reconciliation, propitiation, and regeneration. McGee's mantra and my favorite part of this book is I am completely forgiven, fully pleasing, totally accepted and deeply loved by God - all made possible by the c...more
Carol Ho
This book has a lot of good principles about finding our true self-worth in Christ and what He has done for us, rather than our own performance or others' opinions of us. One limitation of this book is that it is not written in a way that appeals to my emotions but more my intellect. After finishing the book, I think it is a great foundation for dealing with issues of self worth. Sometimes the truth takes a while to sink in, but it is in there. The main lie the book addresses is:
Self-Worth = Per...more
Rene
We read this book in our small group - a group of young women. I thought the message was a good one - one everyone needs to hear. I initially thought the book was going to be about finding your purpose in life, but it ended up being about changing your perspective, and how you view yourself. He repeats his point quite a bit, but I guess he really wants us to get the message :). The book was good for a study because there are chapters to read, and there are discussion questions in the back.
Emma Lavern
A beautiful devotional for hearts too drenched in sorrow, guilt, shame, and anger. It reminds us of the glory of God's powerful love to heal and forgive the brokenhearted and sinners. Those who are in Christ are free from the chains of unjust condemnations and past sins. It is also an in-depth analysis of the spiritual warfare at hand: Jesus calls to save, whereas Satan calls to kill the significance of life. I would recommend this book to anyone struggling with any form of complicated grief.
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions
  • Loving God
  • Victory Over the Darkness
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Inside Out
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another.
  • The God Chasers: My Soul Follows Hard After Thee
  • The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus
  • Sacred Pathways
  • Telling Yourself the Truth
  • Abide in Christ
The Search for Significance: Workbook The Search for Significance Devotional: Daily Meditations, Reflections, & Prayers The Search for Significance Workbook: Building Your Self-Worth on God's Truth The Search for Freedom: Demolishing the Strongholds That Diminish Your Faith, Hope, and Confidence in God Father Hunger

“What a waste to attempt to change behavior without truly understanding the driving needs that cause such behavior!” 2 likes
“Justification Justification means that God not only has forgiven me of my sins but also has granted me the righteousness of Christ. Because of justification, I bear Christ’s righteousness, and I am therefore fully pleasing to the Father (Rom. 5:1).” 0 likes