Start by marking “The Sam Gunn Omnibus” as Want to Read:
The Sam Gunn Omnibus

The Sam Gunn Omnibus (Sam Gunn #1-2)

A hero without peer or scruples, Sam Gunn has a nose for trouble, money, and women-not necessarily in that order. A man with the ego (and stature) of Napoleon, the business acumen of P. T. Barnum, and the raging hormones of a teenager, Sam is the finest astronaut NASA ever trained and dumped. But more than money and women, Sam Gunn loves justice-and he really loves money a ...more
Audio
Published May 1st 2012 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published February 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Sam Gunn Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sam Gunn Omnibus

Jim
This was fun, but I appreciated the stories more when I'd run across them occasionally. Altogether, they got a bit repetitive. Sam Gunn was an extraordinary character who was well used to show a lot of Bova's ideas on how human nature & economics could follow us into space. Just because the circumstances were unique doesn't mean that people changed, they simply adapted.

The stories were well strung together by a budding reporter tracking down Gunn's stories to make her name. I didn't care muc
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

Fans know that within any literary genre, there consists a handful of top-tier "breakout" stars -- people like Stephen King in horror or Tom Clancy in military thrillers -- but that the vast majority of books published in any given genre are instead churned out by a series of lesser-known mid-tier au
Clay Kallam
Apr 29, 2010 Clay Kallam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Got a hankering for that old-time science fiction? You know, where men are men and they chase skirts (usually inhabited by blonde bombshells) after performing death-defying feats of derring-do? Oh, and though they bend the rules sometimes, they always wind up doing good in the end, and the only people who don’t like them are bloated bureaucrats or pasty-faced lawyers who wouldn’t know their asteroid from a hot rock? And though the women are tough and smart, their goal in life is to get that MRS ...more
Andreas
Mar 25, 2011 Andreas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sam Gunn stories are now published in one omnibus edition. They really bring out the best in Bova. His hero Sam Gunn is a sort of space entrepreneur/adventurer, presumably inspired by explorers from human history such as Columbus and Shackleton. I also believe that Sam Gunn is Ben Bova’s alter ego, or the man he wishes he was. Lighthearted and thoroughly enjoyable, I recommend Sam Gunn to any fan of near future stories and space exploration.

Steve
Nov 11, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun stuff...
Aaron
Oct 01, 2016 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to like a sci-fi book that was about a con man. This is a fun read. I enjoyed it. Jennifer Marlow. Heh.
Bryan
Nov 24, 2009 Bryan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
From an online review written by Mark Yon for sffworld.com:

"This major story collection ... collects together stories written over a thirty-year writing period.

"This includes the stories from Sam Gunn Unlimited (1992), Sam Gunn Forever(1998) and stories previously uncollected from magazines such as Science Fiction Age, Analog and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.

"There are three new stories to this collection. In total there are 51 ‘stories’ here, though only 19 or so are actual stor
Coyle
Aug 03, 2012 Coyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam Gunn is a ladies' man. He's also a money grubbing capitalist, an imperialist, and a reckless no-account. At least, those are the various ways he is remembered as Jade, an enthusiastic young reporter for Solar News, interviews his past associates for the Sam Gunn biopic for Solar News. What really becomes apparent is that he is all of those things, but only as they all support his fundamental and primary passion: outer space. Through the life of Sam Gunn we see humanity lift itself off the ea ...more
Cristofer
Hmm... I'd call this one mostly pulp. I felt like I was slogging through it, finishing the thing more out of persistence than enjoyment. It had its moments, but overall not terribly entertaining.

Sam Gunn really is a womanizer and rather underhanded, couldn't ever get to like him or root for him. The stories get very repetitive and monotonous after the first few, with all of them sharing the same theme of "Sam is the underdog who chases women and cleverly pulls the rug from under the big evil cor
Bill VanderGiesen
This is classic gung-ho early science fiction and space exploration. As a result, it is one of the best books I have read in some time. As an anthology it is of course a little scattered, and not necessarily in chronological order.

If I had read the stories as they came out over a decade in various magazines, I am sure I would have still enjoyed them. Combined, however, they are little short of phenomenal, which is of course to be expected by an author such as Bova. I am thrilled that my introdu
Jackie
Jun 21, 2013 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sf
This is an amusing collection of stories featuring entrepreneur/astronaut/general mischief maker, Sam Gunn. It’s an enjoyable read but should not be read in one stretch. Read a story, go read something else and then come back and read another story. If you try to read the Complete Omnibus too fast, the stories will run together and it will seem like you’re reading the same story over and over. Each story is a little different and makes a different point but this can only be observed if you don’t ...more
Vedant
Feb 05, 2016 Vedant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is too good.
Riddle with adulterated humor here and there, and with science peeking from the brim, it is a must have, even for those who aren't looking for a wooly mammoth (hairless, and filled with paper instead) sized 712 paged book. This is because of its beautiful multiple short story form, due to it being a collection, actually, of a few Sam Gunn books put together, with never seen before stories thrown into the mix.
Rest assured, you cannot put the book down once you have picked it
Greg
Jul 06, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
The Sam Gunn stories are screwball comedy in space. You have to be in the right mood to enjoy them. If you are looking for something serious this is not the place to go looking for it, but for light-hearted, irreverent humor this is a great place to go. If you enjoyed the movies "His Girl Friday" with Cary Grant and "Ball of Fire" with Gary Cooper, you would like the style of these stories.
Brian Layman
May 03, 2009 Brian Layman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
This is all 51 Sam Gunn stories all wrapped up on one tome. This is classic sci fi, with a last century American Hero and I really enjoyed it. I'd never read any Sam Gunn stories till now and the experience of getting to know everything about same was pure delight.

Bova wove tales spun across decades into a tapestry that tells a cohesive story. Well done.
Noel Roach
I really did not like this. Bova's style offends and annoys me to no end. Without discussing the lead Sam, every (other) character is so pathetic and weak that I am left with the strong intrusive feeling (on every page) that as a person the author is someone I would find morally offensive.
Ogreart Art
I actually listened to this in two parts from Audible.com. These stories are a great deal of fun. Reminded me of the tales of Robert A. Heinlein I read as a young man. From me, that is high praise.
Perry
Nov 10, 2012 Perry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Nothing stunning or groundbreaking but very entertaining and kind of refreshing to meet a hero who's NOT idealized.

All he has going for him is nonstop snake oil salesman type patter and it makes for a fun read.
Michael Kingswood
Holy cow, was that fun! Sam Gunn is awesome!

'Nuff said.

Wicked fun, very well narrated. Totally worth the time and money.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Tall tales about a male chauvinist pig, in space. Somewhat entertaining, but it got old pretty fast, especially with such a large volume.
Chris
Jul 29, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was alright- I just could not find myself getting that into it. Did not move fast at all- no tension building, no suspense- all of which is what I look for in SF.
Ferret
Feb 06, 2008 Ferret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Insubstantial and flawed but utterly hilarious take on the future history subgenre. In many ways much more compelling than Heinlein's future history. Sam Gunn is so unpredictable and brilliant.
Jenifer Thomas
Jenifer Thomas rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Hbrown
Hbrown rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2008
Bookie
Bookie rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Kenneth Arvo
Kenneth Arvo rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Nathan Duby
Nathan Duby rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Jack Jones
Jack Jones rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Geoffrey
Geoffrey rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2011
James
James rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
  • The Dog From Hell (Star Risk, #4)
  • Galactic Bounty (Sam McCade, #1)
  • Nothing Sacred
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Silent Warrior (Forever Hero, #2)
  • Chronospace
  • Starhawk (The Academy, #7)
  • Blood Pact (Kirk McGarvey, #17)
  • Sundowner (Nicole Shea, #3)
  • The Wooden Spaceships (Land and Overland Series, #2)
  • 23 Years on Fire (Cassandra Kresnov, #4)
  • A Matter of Time
  • More Than Honor/On Basilisk Station
  • Interstellar Patrol II: The Federation of Humanity
  • Levkas Man
  • Retief and the Pangalactic Pageant of Pulchritude (Retief, #14.5)
  • Blood of War (Red Dragon Rising, #4)
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...