Start by marking “The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2)

The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy #2)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  1,965 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
The battle between superhero and villain escalates in this pulsepounding sequel!

Having thwarted Max Dalton's scheme to drain the world's superhumans of their powers, Colin Wagner has taken on the mantle of Titan and, with partner, Diamond, is using his newfound abilities to rid the London streets of crime. But our young heroes' lives are irrevocably changed when an unknow

Published July 3rd 2008 by Philomel (first published October 1st 2006)

Amytiger
Aug 31, 2014 Amytiger rated it really liked it
Lazybee
Feb 09, 2015 Lazybee rated it liked it
Mediocre.
Garrett Thomas
Nov 09, 2016 Garrett Thomas rated it liked it
I thought the book was very similar to the last book. It was an ok plot twist in the middle of it but like i said it was too similar to the 1st book The Awakening. The author should have described the new set o heros more and given them a more detailed background story. The book overall was fantastic with very few things to dislike about it.
Aaron
Apr 19, 2009 Aaron rated it it was amazing
In this sequel to The Awakening, in which the world sees the return superhumans after 10 years. The next generation of superheroes is coming together to better handle the troubles they face.

Danny, gifted with the talent of superspeed, lost his arm and his powers in order to save the day in the previous book and is still coming to terms with the fact that his real father is a former shape-changing supervillain.

Colin, whose parents were both superhumans has the ability to resist harm along with su
Emily
Jul 07, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: superheroes, series, own
I read the first book in the Quantum Prophecy series some time ago (like, years), and I’ve been meaning to read this one for a long time (this is probably true of about ninety percent of the books I read – my to-read list is kind of out of control). So I finally got around to it, and had the pleasant experience of being reminded why I liked the first book so much. The series is quite fun, with likeable characters and a fairly original superhero mythology.

Ten years ago, the superheroes (and super
Jayda
Ally
Sep 25, 2013 Ally rated it liked it
Now this is better. The sequel to the Awakening, The Gathering is a better tale than the woefully depressing book The Awakening. (Yeah remember me yelling at The Gathering for most of my review, well this is the happier side of this series.)

The Awakening is a fast paced book with tons of action, more than what's in the Gathering. It's a lot more satisfying than rolling eyes at the horrible plot of The Gathering. (Rolling eyes, after all hurts my mind after twitching all those muscles.) The Gathe
Jamie K
Dec 14, 2011 Jamie K rated it it was amazing
The Gathering is a great second book to the Quantum Prophecy series. The Gathering opens with Colin Wagner aka titan and Renata Soliz aka Diamond, resurrecting the superhero ranks by fighting crime and helping others in London. This is short lived when their real identities are leaked to the public. Colin and Renata along with their friend Danny Cooper and their families are taken to the US to a secret organization known as Sakkara. There they learn to perfect their abilities and meet other ...more
Tristan Rocha
Sep 21, 2013 Tristan Rocha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superhumans
The Gathering is the second book in the Quantum Prophecy series. It mainly focuses on three protagonists: Colin Wagner, son of Titan and Energy, who has super strength and superhuman hearing and vision; Danny Cooper, son of Quantum who was raised by Facade (a former super-villain), who had super-speed and intangibility; and Renata Soliz, who has the ability to freeze herself into an impenetrable and unbreakable diamond form which she was frozen into for ten years.

The New Heroes are gathered to a
tc
Apr 27, 2015 tc rated it really liked it
I've just realized that I've already read this book before when I read the first book because I checked them out together . I reread it anyway and found it to be quite enjoyable . This is not the type of book I usually read since I usually go for Nicholas Spark movies and Meg Cabot or summer romance books . With the exception of Harry Potter , I only read books with romance in it . This was a good change of genre . I have a bit of a soft spot for superheroes and fairytales . This without a doubt ...more
Patrick
Apr 12, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
These first three Quantum Prophecy books are an interesting story that I think has been waiting to be told. They are a cold-blooded view of what adults and government would really do in a world of superheroes, especially teens whose powers have just emerged.

The kids are manipulated and controlled from every side, and public relations battles are waged about the motives and goodness of the heroes. Their parents wonder how much to tell them, and the public and the heroes themselves worry if no pe
Trike
The second book in Michael Carroll's "New Heroes" trilogy keeps up the momentum of the first book. It also maintains the "Young Adult fiction in name only" theme by tackling tough choices and not flinching from the logical progression of the characters he's set up. There's nothing graphic about the violence, but it's there in spades. It does suffer a bit from "middle chapter syndrome" as many second installments to trilogies do, but it sets up the conflict for the final conflict quite well, with ...more
Wadzanai Mufunde
When I first picked up the The Quantum Prophecy, I was intrigued by the cover. But don't judge me because everyone can be this shallow. The first book was great and I'm glad I can say the same thing about the sequel.

We were left wondering what would happen to Danny and Colin and whether Facade would get off easy. I

I loved that this book had action and you could see the story from other people's point of view. It's like X-Men, only the main characters are younger and a bit more relatable. We met
Zachary San
Jan 12, 2016 Zachary San rated it really liked it
I rated the book a 4 because it had a good story, grabbed my attention, and has a lot of detail about the characters. My personal opinion about this book is, it is a great book. Danny killed his father during interrogation. The book cover explains that Colin starts to get all his powers now. My favorite character is Danny because he had his dad turned out to be fake and his mom didn't know, and Danny's real dad was behind bars. 2 things I learned were, think about the decisions you make, and ...more
Lynn
Apr 14, 2016 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-and-teens
The Gathering is the second book in the Quantum Prophecy series. Danny is missing an arm and has lost his powers. Colin tries to become the new Titan when his identity is discovered. To keep his and Danny's families safe, they are all moved to Sakkara in Kansas, the new headquarters of super human heroes. Solomon Card has resumed his identity as Paragon and is training the young recruits to be superheroes. They are needed sooner than they think when Dioxin begins a reign of terror in order to ...more
Raymond Hu
Apr 10, 2011 Raymond Hu rated it liked it
I think the 2nd book of this series was as great as the first book with the same comments from the first one. I realized one more thing that the author keeps you on suspense with the flashbacks in the book to start it off and to end the book. It makes the reader actually wanting to read more about the book and wanting to learn what happen. Also i loved how new chacarteres were introduced into the book and it made everything 2 times better and more exciting. I liked how he end it off with the ...more
Mrslabraden
Erica
Jul 27, 2010 Erica rated it really liked it
Jk997
Feb 13, 2016 Jk997 rated it it was amazing
FRIDAY BY
THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE.TOMMOROW WILL BE THE BEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE. NOW
YOU'VE STARTED READING THIS. DON'T STOP. THIS IS SO FREAKY.
1. say your name ten times.
2.say your mom's name five times.
3. say your crushes three times
4. paste this to four other groups.
If you do this, your crush will kiss you on the nearest Friday.
But if you read this and do not paste this, then you
will have very bad luck.
SEND THIS TO 5 GROUPS IN 143 MINUTES. WHEN
YOU'RE DONE PRESS F6 AND YOUR CRUSH'S NAME WILL APPEAR I
Ryan Burt
May 26, 2011 Ryan Burt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 of the Quantum Prophecies. In book one there have been no Superheros for 10 years but suddenly teenagers start to develope Superhuman abilities.

Where in book one it is about certain teenagers discovering their abilities book two is about them joining together. Just like Super Friends. Ok not just like Super Friends but I couldn't help but think about that every once in a while.

I have liked both the Quantum Prophecy books but this book was even better then the first. A fun read for sure.
Lana
May 07, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing
Part 2 of the superhero series - and I think I would definitely rate this one better than the first.

Jump into the lives of very young teens that are to inherit hero abilities after their superhero parents lost theirs. Follow the drama and action that unfolds as they battle against the evil master mind. Unsure who to trust as even friends can turn against them unwittingly, manipulated by super villains.

A must read to all who love a good super hero story.

Well done Michael - I look forward to conti
Kim Raccoon
May 27, 2015 Kim Raccoon rated it liked it
I am just not loving these the way I loved the other four books (Superhuman, Ascension, Brawn, Hunter). Perhaps because I just miss all of the other characters too much. I do enjoy how puzzle pieces are coming together because Brawn and Hunter left out so many details that are being pulled together in these books. (Note, I do realize that I've read them in the wrong order.)

Obviously I'm going to get "The Reckoning" but I'm way more excited for "Crossfire". Is it here yet?
Angie
Jul 16, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fic, fantasy
The best part about discovering a series late in the game? No wait! I already have book three in my hands.

The new superhumans are coming to terms with their abilities. Will the rest of the world be able to accept them? And will all of the heroes use their powers for good? You have to keep reading to find out!

This is definitely a bordering on YA juvenile book. Some violence (though of the comic book smash bang grab variety ... not gore).
Megan
Jun 20, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Very nice. I'll admit, at the end of chapter one my first thoughts were, "I am vengeance, I am the night, I am Batman!" but still! It was definitely worth reading. The super powers were not entirely creative, but it was a good follow up and the plot was definitely surprising! And the ending! AAAAHHH! Are you kidding me!? Even if I hadn't planned on it (Which I had, by the way) after that ending there is no way I can't read book three! >.>
R.S. Jinks
Mar 17, 2015 R.S. Jinks rated it really liked it
This book is good, but it didn't just blow me away as many of the others did. One of my minor peeves was that Danny was powerless for much of the book, so the book dealt with him battling the mental blocks he imposed on himself which I thought was foolish. Just my two cents.

On the whole though, it's another worthwhile entry into the series with some good action. I just want to see the New Heroes really cut loose and fuck shit up.
Steve
May 25, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
New characters:
1.Butler Redmond- can create force fields.
2.Mina- can see person’s aura
3.Yvonne- control person’s minds.

3 mutants that has been added here is such a lame. I hope Mr. Carroll added some more. Old super humans are resurfacing. Quantum’s prophecy of Danny is slowly making sense. Solomon Cord is such a smart guy. This book is full of twist. The plot is somehow great. I wish many events had happened inside their Sakkara base.
Garrett Powers
Sep 22, 2013 Garrett Powers rated it it was amazing
I thought the book was very similar to the last book. It was a good read for a teenager who likes plot twist and lots of action. The author should have described the new set o heros more and given them a more detailed background story. The book overall was fantastic with very few things to dislike about it.
Tris
Mar 28, 2015 Tris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

This sequel to The Awakening is full of action, death defying, courageous moments with a mix of scenes filled with sadness, anger and determination. This is a perfect series for teen readers and young adults. This is one of those series you race to the library in the middle of the night to get the next book. I will not wait to get the third book.
Alexander710
Sep 27, 2010 Alexander710 rated it it was amazing
Great Book. Full of action, mystery. If you loved x-men comic books or the TV show Heroes, this book is what you want to read. This centers around 3 characters named Danny,Colin and Reneta who are superhumans and must bring peace to a world that is corrupted by a dictator and a possible war and a huge conspiracy!
sydtheghostkid
Dec 03, 2015 sydtheghostkid rated it really liked it
Ugh, I love superpowers so so so so much. After reading this, I'm wanting more. This is gritty, but at the same time, light (because of the age range, I assume, but you never know) and it's just what I need to be happy sometimes. lowkey hoping the third book pops up in the used book store I go to sometime soon
  • The Demon Hunter (Oliver Nocturne, #4)
  • Earthfall
  • Virus Attack (Hero.Com, #2)
  • Villains Rising (The Cloak Society, #2)
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
  • Sidekicks
  • Remote Control (Agent Six of Hearts, #2)
  • Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread #1)
  • The Split Second (The Seems, #2)
  • Shadows (Hex, #2)
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • The Doomsday Code (TimeRiders, #3)
  • Quest for the Secret Keeper (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #3)
In 1987 Michael Carroll joined the Irish Science Fiction Association and was soon invited to become editor of their fiction magazine FTL. He has been a member of the executive committee of the Irish Writers' Union and spent two years as editor of their regular newsletter Final Draft.

He now writes full-time, having published a number of science fiction, fantasy and romance novels in Ireland, the UK
More about Michael Carroll...

The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy (8 books)
  • The Awakening (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #1)
  • The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)
  • Super Human (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #4)
  • The Ascension: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #5)
  • Stronger: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #6)
  • Hunter (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy #7)
  • Crossfire (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #8)

“Looking around the workbench Colin spotted a device that looked like a complex handgun. "What's this?" He grabbed it and started aiming it at various objects around the room.
That's a glue gun." Razor replied.
Wow! How's it work?"
It's not a weapon, Col. We use it to glue things to other things.”
21 likes
“Stay down if you know what's good for you." Colin said. He put his foot on the man's neck and applied a little weight.
The man coughed into the dirt. "Who...who are you?"
Who am I?" Colin replied. He had been waiting for this moment. "I'm the the one bogeyman is afraid of. I'm the new face of justice. I'm your worst nightmare."
He crouched down, leaning closer to the man. "You'd better warn the rest of your low-life friends that there's a new hero in town. You and your kind wont be tolerated any longer."
Colin stood up and folded his arms. He wished there was a breeze that would make his cape fly a little. "Who am I? I am Titan."
And that was when one of the other muggers hit Colin across the back of his head with a plank of wood.”
13 likes