Start by marking “The Great Fairy Tale Disaster” as Want to Read:
The Great Fairy Tale Disaster

The Great Fairy Tale Disaster

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The Big Bad Wolf is fed up with blowing down the Three Little Pigs' houses. So off he goes in search of a new fairy tale to be in! Wearing the ball gown in Cinderella didn't work because "wolves don't wear dresses!," climbing up the beanstalk and seeing the giant's huge feet scared the wolf, and "yuck" getting kissed by the prince in Sleeping Beauty is not for the wolf at ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Tiger Tales (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Fairy Tale Disaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Fairy Tale Disaster

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakNot a Box by Antoinette PortisNot a Stick by Antoinette PortisGoldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems
Make Believe Picture Books
32nd out of 33 books — 12 voters
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon ScieszkaGoldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo WillemsThe Three Pigs by David WiesnerThe Three Ninja Pigs by Corey Rosen SchwartzThe Frog Prince, Continued by Jon Scieszka
Fractured Fairy Tales for Children
70th out of 135 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Wolf, tired of his own fairy tale, goes off in search of another fun story... but doesn't have any luck. His transitions between tales are abrupt, and the humorous reactions to finding out his role in the new stories attempt to make up for that. Of course, at the end Wolf retreats to his own story, only to land in a pot of hot water, as usual. Will be fun for kids who have just learned their fairy tales.

The fun, chaotic illustrations are reminiscent of Lane Smith and are definitely grabbing.
Sara Bland
Destiny
I love this book! It tells all the familiar stories in a new light. It is silly and illustrates a common struggle than we have as humans. We always think that the the grass will be greener on the other side. We thing everyone has it easier and better than we wish we could trade places. The wolf gets a chance to switch places only to realize that he actually had it pretty good and accepted his story. Kids will have a fun time reading and learning that things aren't always what they seem. We can b ...more
Kristi Bernard
Who doesn't love a great fairy tale adventure? The Great Fairy Tale Disaster has all the old favorites like the Three Little Pigs, Cinderella, jack and the Bean Stalk and even Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The Big Bad Wolf is tired of all the repeated shenanigans of the Three Little Pigs. In order to make a change he decides to visit some of the other fairy tales for a change of pace. Cinderella's Fairy God Mother tries to send him to the ball in a dress and glass slippers. Of course, that doe ...more
Rachel Escobar
I thought this story was very funny and cute. I liked how the wolf was tired of his story so he decided to go and try to find a place in other fairy tales. My favorite part was at the end how he had messed up so many stories all the fairy tale characters were all intermingled in every one else's stories, I also like how at the end he just ended up going back to his original story. The artwork I thought was very fun and quirky which matched up perfectly with the story.
Lyndy Stein
In "The Great Fairy Tale Disaster" by David Conway, the Big Bad Wolf is tired of being the bad guy and just wants to be in a relaxing fairytale for once. He starts off trying to be Cinderella and when that doesn't work, he moves on to Jack and the Beanstalk, Sleeping Beauty and many more classic fairytales but finds that he just does not belong in any of them. This story is full of colorful illustrations and whacky scenarios that will have kids laughing nonstop!
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

The Big Bad Wolf has had enough of his fairy tale, "The Three Little Pigs." He decides to go on a journey to find a nice, relaxing story to be a part of. He finds Cinderella, Rupunzel, Hansel and Gretel, and a whole cast of other fairy tale creatures. Will he find a new tale to be a part of? Or will all of the fairy tales get mixed up, ending in disaster? Along with the fun and crazy story line, Melanie Williamson's illustrations are captivating. This book is great for kindergarteners and grade

Christopher Skelskey
This book is fun to read as long as the reader knows the fair tales that are referred to. The sequence of events is great to work with students on comprehension.
Haley
That was so super cute. I loved having read a different tale to this classic story. Makes you think that maybe the big bad wolf just wanted to be good.
Fjóla
I really only thought it was okay, and it's painfully lacking any originality or wittiness, but I did enjoy the pictures and it still does have its place as a spin on fractured fairy tales. So, in all fairness, if its weakness lies in the fact there's nothing really funny or clever here, it's also a strength because this makes it quite appropriate for any toddler/preschooler too. I was slightly more charmed by its sister book: The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster, although that one suffered the exac ...more
June
This book was fine. There was nothing wrong with it. It just wasn't as fun or exciting as I expected, and my 5yo was pretty meh about.
Mckinley
Wolf wants to be in a different fairytale.
Too much like his The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster by David Conway.
Claire
Nice to read with classic fairy tales
Hannah Cobb
The Big Bad Wolf is getting old. He doesn't have any huff and puff left in him, and he's sick and tired of falling down the chimney into the three little pigs' pot of hot water. He decides to set off into the book of fairy tales to look for a quieter story. Instead he finds himself in a chaotic mishmash of fairytale characters. This is a great read-aloud book that offers plenty of opportunities for "what do you think will happen next?" type questions.
Marcie
The idea of the Big Bad Wolf looking for a place in a different fairy tale is certainly a cute one, and the first couple fairy tales he jumps into deliver surprises and laughs. But then it gets a little disjointed, and the plot doesn't really go anywhere. As I was reading it out loud, I found myself wanting to add dialogue so that it would make more sense. The illustrations are busy and fun!
Angela
I didn't care for the illustrations - something about them was just too chaotic for me. The concept is cute; the big, bad wolf is getting old and wants a more "peaceful" fairytale. But all the fairytales have something in them that he just won't put up with - kissing, giants, etc.

Unfortunately, the plot doesn't really go anywhere creative, and sort of peters out halfway through.
Kelsey
Age: K+
Fairy tale: fractured

When the Big Bad Wolf is bored of his doldrum life in the Three Little Pigs, he bullies his way into other fairy tales. But does he really want to get kissed by a handsome prince? Does he really want to face off against a fee-fi-foe-fumming giant? The ending is short-winded but this picture book would make an excellent end-cap to a unit on fairy tales.
Cute. Fun for the end of a fairy tale unit.
Sarah BT
I love fractured fairy tales and this one mixed them all up because of a bored wolf. Perfect to read with kids who enjoy fairy tales and there are plenty of laughs as the poor wolf gets caught up in all the wrong tales. The illustrations are good-maybe a bit busy for a storytime setting, but great for small groups, lapsits or on your own reading.
Beverly
A funny romp through fairy tale land, as wolf hunts for a tale that he likes better than "Three Little Pigs." Comical illustrations reminiscent of Lauren Child. Would be good for a "fractured fairy tale" story time.
Angie
Wolf is bored with his fairy tale and decides to find a better one. He troops through several other stories creating chaos as he goes before he finally decides he likes his story best. Very fun take on a fairy tale.
Allison
Very busy illustrations depict how the very old big bad wolf wreaks havoc on the fairy tale world when he tries to find a calmer fairy tale to rest in. Finally, he decides his own isn't so bad.
Ashley
Loved this crazy incorporation of fairy tales and modern day book. It was fascinating even as an adult. I would use this as a read aloud, and I feel that young students would absolutely enjoy it!
Jacqueline
I wasn't that fond of the ending, the wolf should have stayed to clean up his mess. But kids will get a huge kick out of figuring out what went wrong with each fairy tale.
Heather Colacurcio
Piggy-backing on the fractured fairytale craze, Conway's book offers little new ground. Fun illustrations, but lacks the imagination many others of it's kind has.
Candace Perry
The kids loved this book. I don't think they've ever laughed so hard at storytime. They knew the stories so they loved hearing them get mixed up!
Cassie
Jodie
The Big Bad Wolf is tired of his fairy tale so he goes off to find new adventures and in the process creates disaster.
Stefani
Fun fractured fairy tale. Quick read. Older kids will probably enjoy it more, as it alludes to a lot of different tales.
Marci
My fairy tale loving daughter and I thought this was a really cute book :)
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • My Snake Blake
  • How to Babysit a Grandpa
  • Tippy-Tippy-Tippy, Hide!
  • Me Hungry!
David Conway is a children's picture book author who has written for Hodder, Random House, Frances Lincoln and Gullane Children's Books. He has been awarded The Peter Pan Silver Star by the Swedish wing of the IBBY and the Parents' Choice Gold Award in the US for Lila and the Secret of Rain. His first picture book The Most Important Gift of All illustrated by Karin Littlewood, was nominated for Th ...more
More about David Conway...
The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster Errol and His Extraordinary Nose Lila and the Secret of Rain Bedtime Hullabaloo The Most Important Gift of All