Start by marking “The Dragonslayers Apprentice” as Want to Read:
The Dragonslayers Apprentice

The Dragonslayers Apprentice

She's smarter than Xena, funnier than Guinevere, and spunkier than Catherine (a.k.a. Birdy). She's Jackie, Dragonslayer-in-training, and she's moving through the land to kick some major tail!
Published December 1st 1998 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragonslayers Apprentice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragonslayers Apprentice

Roxana
Feb 28, 2017 Roxana rated it it was ok
What an odd little book. Something of a leadership/management guide disguised as a middle-grade fantasy. I think I liked it, but the ending is flat.
Cassius
Nov 09, 2013 Cassius rated it liked it
I think that The Dragonslayer’s Apprentice by David Calder is an exciting book. The main character, Jackie, is a 15-year old girl who loves action. She is not afraid of any creature, witch, or other danger that she may meet on her adventures. I thought that reading this book was exciting and I would definitely recommend it to people who like action and adventure. Besides being an exciting read I also thought the book was very easy to read, I read it over a couple of weeks but I actually think th ...more
Alex
Mar 08, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidsbooks, inventory
A fun little book that I pick up and read for a pick me up. This book is more about the dragon slayer, as it is his perspective but the way it's told is fun with a dash of snark. The dragon slayer has an assistant, who barely says two words, and an apprentice who is a 16 year old girl/run away princess. She has a witty way about her, and if you are looking for a bathtub book or something light to read this is a fun little book to have.

--Personal side note, this book is responsible for my inabil
Katie Patchell
Jun 03, 2010 Katie Patchell rated it it was ok
This had some humor in it, but it didn't have enough of a plot to interest me. The Dragonslayer has an apprentice (who's a girl--you find out she's a princess basically 5 pages from the end), and an assistant (the comic relief?). There is never a name for the Dragonslayer, and the names in the book consist of: Jack, Jackie, Ron, Tom.....
Seriously? Anyway, this book does provide a slightly humorous read, but is it worth spending an hour or two of your life?
Amanda
Apr 11, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
Not a fast paced exciting read but enjoyable. Some parts seemed to drag but it kept my interest. I was not surprised by the ending as the author gives many hints leading up to it. It had plenty of humor. I recommend to someone who enjoys fantasy that is looking for a quick light read.
Annie
Jun 29, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it
It was quite funny! It was a very simple book, plot-wise, as it didn't include tons of sensory details to make the book extremely exciting, but I laughed out loud at some points and enjoyed the story overall. The characters were diverse, and ideas were interesting, making for a decent book.
Tasia
I read this when I was pretty young, and it sparked something in my brain. Girl could be heroes! Girls could slay dragons! It's a pretty lucid story, written in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Good for a young audience, but someone older might find it lacking.
Sophie Ranger_of_the_oakleaf
Nov 06, 2010 Sophie Ranger_of_the_oakleaf rated it really liked it
Fun, so far!
Kevin
Sep 27, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: yes
Good
K.D. Delgado
Nov 29, 2014 K.D. Delgado rated it really liked it
This is a great little book, and perfect bed time story. As a child I read this, now as an adult my own children enjoy it.
Whitney
Jun 01, 2011 Whitney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would consider this a children's fantasy book. Not a lot of plot, but still enjoyable, in a child-type way. Could be re-written to be much more exicitng, but less okay for children.
Nibrock
Dec 27, 2013 Nibrock rated it liked it
Fun, quick, young read. Little, expected, twist at the end.
A.M.
A.M. rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2009
Annika
Annika rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2011
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
May 01, 2012
Eillo
Eillo rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2009
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Jaimie
Jaimie rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
This
This rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
z
z rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Joann
Joann rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2007
Meagan
Meagan rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Penny
Penny rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Marilag
Marilag rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2010
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2012
Zoe Kaplan
A cute, clever book. It's a shame it's so short.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)
  • More Minds (Minds, #2)
  • Darkness Under the Water
  • Grand & Humble
  • Rain Is Not My Indian Name
  • Shakespeare Stories (Top Ten)
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
  • The Game
  • Secrets of the Nile (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #25)
  • Whistle in the Dark
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • Across a War-Tossed Sea
  • Stranger Things (Looniverse, #1)
  • Ukulele Hayley