Start by marking “Girls, Social Class, and Literacy: What Teachers Can Do to Make a Difference” as Want to Read:
Girls, Social Class, and Literacy: What Teachers Can Do to Make a Difference

Girls, Social Class, and Literacy: What Teachers Can Do to Make a Difference

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Using stories from her own life as a girl in a working - poor family and illuminating narratives from students living in a high - poverty neighborhood, Stephanie introduces readers to critical literacy and equips them with the tools to begin tearing apart stereotypes and creating new understandings about students, families, ourselves, and one another. This remarkable book ...more
Published August 25th 2006 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Girls, Social Class, and Literacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls, Social Class, and Literacy

Meg Petersen
This was a powerful, wonderful book which I would recommend to every teacher. Although the book concerns a group of elementary school level girls, the content is relevant and accessible for teachers at all levels. The book is theoretical, providing some of the most concise and readable discussions of critical theory for teachers that I have seen, but it is also practical, with exercises teachers can do to interrogate their own practice. Although the book focuses on "what teachers can do to make ...more
Jo Gallagher
Wow! Stephanie's book inspired me to get students to focus on great conversation. I find it hard at times to get kids to talk about books and write their thinking about books with out study guides or pre-formatted graphic organizers. This book made my year. It changed my teaching this year and helped me lift the level of conversation at our high-school dining room table (fishbowl)! Thank you.
Emily
Very personal account of working with girls and empowering them and letting their voices to be heard.
Whittney
A fabulous book for every teacher no matter what subject or grade. I took a class from Stephanie and she is so awesome. She does a great job of teaching you how to create a community in your classroom. She comes from an poor-working class family herself and is very aware of the silence in classism.
Amanda
If you are interested in education and the class structure in this country, this is a very interesting book to read. It is very well written and skips a lot of the jargon used in most books like it.
Nansteelian
A must read for any teacher.
Samantha
Samantha is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Maria Chupp
Maria Chupp marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Amitydawn
Amitydawn marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Marisa Williams
Marisa Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Nicole Cesari
Nicole Cesari marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Julie Gardner
Julie Gardner marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Maggie Schwanke
Maggie Schwanke marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Rachel Davies
Rachel Davies marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Reading Turn-Around: A Five Part Framework for Differentiated Instruction (Practitioner's Bookshelf) Nelson's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Commander Dreams and Misunderstandings How To Become Healthy: The Ultimate Guide To Good Health And Being Healthy Regardless Of Your Age (On Health) Bedtime (Usborne Look and Say Board Books)