Start by marking “Virgin Slave, Barbarian King” as Want to Read:
Virgin Slave, Barbarian King

Virgin Slave, Barbarian King

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Julia Livia Rufa is horrified when barbarians invade Rome and steal everything in sight. But she doesn't expect to be among the taken. As Wulfric's woman, she's ordered to keep house for the uncivilized marauders. Soon, though, Julia realizes that she's more free as a slave than she ever was as a sheltered Roman virgin.

It would be all too easy to succumb to Wulfric's quiet
Mass Market Paperback, Harlequin Historical #877, 304 pages
Published December 1st 2007 by Harlequin (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Virgin Slave, Barbarian King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virgin Slave, Barbarian King

Penny Watson
Nov 28, 2012 Penny Watson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Penny by: Rane
Shelves: bearded-hero
Virgin Slave, Barbarian King by Louise Allen
Recommended by Rane

The title! Haaaaaa! As soon as I saw that title, I knew I had to read this book.

Well, the joke's on me, because this book kicked arse! It was set in ancient Rome and had marauding barbarians, a hot alpha hero, a courageous virginal (oops! that didn't last too long) heroine, excellent secondary characters, a suspenseful story line that kept me guessing until the bitter end how the hecka Ms. Allen would pull an HEA out of that hat, sup
Kirsten
Jesus Joney, what a title. That alone had me picking it up for snark purposes, but I was also genuinely interested in the setting: the Sack of Rome by the Visigoths in AD 410, and their subsequent movements. How often do you see that as the setting for a romance novel? So the author definitely deserves kudos for choosing a setting that’s well-known, yet at the same time, comparatively obscure.

Unfortunately, that’s about the only thing I’d give this book kudos for.

The plot is a fairly standard ca
Jennie -  Webbweaver Reviews
This is a fabulous historical romance! I found it hard to put down!
The story is set during the time of the Roman Empire when the Goths invaded Rome from the north to take what was owed them after the Romans reneged on a pact.
Julia, a Roman maiden is taken. She learns that being Roman doesn't equate with being honest and noble and that those referred to as barbarians are anything but.
The love story between Julia and Wulfric, a contender for the barbarian kingship, is so fabulous, tender and end
Anna Stover
Funniest title ever. Okay, possibly less funny than The Viking's Forbidden Love Slave (this was in fact the most popular Harlequin historical for some time, but I did not buy it because it looked as terrible as you might think from the title, and I like to think that I have some self restraint.) This book, however, gets lots and lots of extra points for not sucking given its truly ridiculous title. In fact, this is a really interesting plot, setting, and cast of characters. The book's depiction ...more
Kristin
I loved this book! I didnt exactly enjoy the emotional torment the main female character had to go through (the I love him but I dont think he feels the same - the pain of knowing he will probably marry someone else to further himself in his society - and so forth). I could really feel for her as she experiences all the new feelings and the love for this man only to know she couldnt have him, but she still did fight for him. Of course they ended up together in the end - like we all knew they wou ...more
Kristy
Horribly cheesy title, but SUCH a great story. In fact the title is really doing a disservice to this book. I was looking for a book where the heroine was captured and falls in love with her captor, and I was weary of reading this because of the title. I'm so glad I read it. It is now on my favorites shelf. I am really interested in what else this author has written.

I loved Julia's spunk. When she was first captured she was defiant and I loved that about her. I love that she didn't cower, she wa
Stevie Carroll
I bought this one direct from the author at the Festival of Romance, partly on the basis of her bad review from Julie Bindel (which she is understandably proud of, considering all the publicity that spun off from it). As is so often the case (excuse my snark), Julie Bindel got things all muddled up. This is a well researched story of life at the end of the Roman Empire for free Romans, their slaves, and their supposed allies who feel betrayed by the Emperor's unkept promises. It's also a romance ...more
Janice Karr
I couldn't resist checking out this book because the of the ridiculous title! it started off promising, and I like that it is set in a different era than regency England. however, halfway through the book I just stopped caring about the characters. it got repetitive, and the author seems to suffer from too much telling and not enough subtle showing. DNF.
Cristina Contilli
Romana per nascita, barbara per amore...

Un romance insolito ambientato nella Roma del saccheggio del 410, la protagonista Giulia Livia viene rapita proprio durante il sacco della città, ma finirà per innamorarsi del barbaro che l'ha portata via dal suo mondo di provenienza...
Flora
I primarily read historical romances and tend to favor westerns. The setting for this book was Rome at the end of the Roman empire when it was being attacked by the Visigoths. I have to admit to knowing very little about this time period and was fascinated by what I learned about life back then and especially about attitudes toward slavery. Louise Allen provided a historical footnote in which she told about her research and that some characters in the book were factual. All in all a very enjoyab ...more
Tasneem
This was a wonderful, fast and evocative read. Allen captures the Roman arrogance really well as well as their lose interpretation of honour. I found Wulfric utterly gorgeous. The way in which he tries to do what he thinks is right makes for a really good plot. Not once did I feel like the author was trying too hard or reaching beyond rationality to make connections or situations seem plausible. Really good and a much better level of quality than many romances I've read to while away a rainy day ...more
Dona Krueger
The title was ridiculous and the basic story only slightly less, but there were some intriguing facts about the realatively bloodless sacking of Rome in 410 - because the emperor would not follow through with the promise of land for their protection of Rome. Eventually they did get land, but it still took a great deal of negotiation in order for the Visigoths to acquire the land to pursue their desired agrarian life
T.L. Morganfield
So I liked this one way more than I did the last Louise Allen book I read. Still some instances of strange sentence formation that had me rereading, but at this point I'm guessing it's a stylistic thing for the author. I enjoyed the setting and the characters and never found myself annoyed with either one (which happened in the last Allen book I read). Looking forward to reading more of her work.
Frances Fuller
Yep, that is the title, I laughed for 15 minutes before I even opened the book. What a surprise, I was "yeah right" over the barbarian invasion of Rome in 410, so before I went any further looked it up, she had done her research. And this book is a whole lot more interesting than the World History 101 I had! Good story, great characters. A laughing and crying good story.
Erinaceina
I was very impressed by this book. It has some nice historical details but Germanic kingship. I study medieval languages, and I was particularly impressed by the Gothic in this book - it seemed pretty accurate (I'm sure you could pick holes in it, but at a casual glance it seemed grammatically correct, which I didn't expect). Oh, and the romance was well done as well. ;)
Caro
This book was pretty good. I liked just about everything about it. It was fast paced in most places and kept me turning pages. I couldn't wait to see what happened next and who would do what. All the characters were great and the fight scenes were good. The ending was great too. This is a good book for cuddling up and relaxing or for a rainy day read.
Nunung
The story sets in ancient Rome, the fact alone gave 5 point to this book ^^ Always love a story, especially romance, about people of ancient Rome, Greece, and Egypt in its glory. Rare to find. unfortunately, it is rare to find.
Lady Raven RAVE!
Most of us know harlequin's historical romance novels aren't the best but i took a chance on this book. THANKS to the title and i did like it it was a good read.
Rachie
it's a favourite of mine, being held cative by a considerate handsome barbarian. just love the characters. AND IT IS A TIME PERIOD OTHER THAN REGENCY!!!!! YAAAA!
Mandy
Originally, I picked this up as a joke. With a title like that how could it not be. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find a clever, sweet story hidden inside.
garnetyuna
Jeez...awful. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Emily
Not bad for a historical novel. The writing was good, and the story was interesting enough for me to speed through it in one weekend.
Desirée
Finally, a historical set in a time other than Regency. This was a breath of fresh air for a Harlequin book.
Brittany Henderson
Cheesy Title. Great Book. I promise if you can get past the cheese-tastic title a good book is in there. :)
Cara
I love anything about Ancient Rome. A fun book with a hero to die for.
Katherine
Funny name for a novel, but quite a charming story. Good for escapism.
Tasha
Dec 19, 2012 Tasha added it
Shelves: historical, romance
Kind of skim-worthy, but I really liked the characters and the setting.
Not a bad story. I must find others by the same author :)
Tanya
It was great.
Aurore Dengremont
Aurore Dengremont marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
  • The Maid of Lorne (Harlequin Historical, #786)
  • Her Warrior King
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)
  • In the Master's Bed
  • Pickpocket Countess
  • Chosen for the Marriage Bed
  • Lord Greville's Captive
  • Celtic Fire (Druids of Avalon, #1)
  • Naughty by Nature (Carlisle Family, #3)
  • Mistress: Pregnant by the Spanish Billionaire
  • The Wicked Earl  (Harlequin Historical Series, #843)
  • The Border Lord
  • At the Queen's Summons (Tudor Rose,  #3)
  • The Sheik and the Bought Bride (Desert Rogues, #13) (Silhouette Special Edition, #1999)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Seize the Fire
  • Lord of the Highlands (Highlands, #4)
  • Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)

This author also writes under the name Francesca Shaw.

I have had my nose buried in a history book - fact or fiction - for as long as I can remember, but even more important to me are the places and the objects that conjure up the past. My first attempt at historical fiction
More about Louise Allen...
The Lord and the Wayward Lady (Regency Silk & Scandal, #1) Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady Practical Widow to Passionate Mistress The Officer and the Proper Lady (Regency Silk & Scandal, #7) The Viscount's Betrothal (Harlequin Historical, #982)