Start by marking “The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes” as Want to Read:
The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  7,139 ratings  ·  203 reviews
The country bunny attains the exalted position of Easter Bunny in spite of her responsibilities as the mother of twenty-one children.
Published April 3rd 1974 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 9th 1939)

To ask other readers questions about The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes

Antoine
This seems like sort of an old-fashioned book at first glance, definitely from before the mid-century explosion of children's picture books. But reading it again as an adult, I see how revolutionary it really is. The Country Bunny is told she can never be an Easter Bunny for a variety of reasons: [a] she is brown [b] she is rustic [c] she is a girl bunny [d] she is a mother. Although we are talking about bunnies here, undercurrents of race, class, and gender run through this book like freight tr ...more
Nikki Spencer
I read this children's book many years ago, and although the plot confused me as a child I liked the book--you can't go wrong with bunnies!

Then, as an adult, I read it again.

The story FLOORED me.

As a mom of three very young, very active children (one of them special needs) I was slowly but surely disappearing. My "me" was lost, and I sorely missed it. Although I loved my kiddos and being a mother...had I missed my chance to be something? (Here we could go into the debate of how motherhood is th
Karla
Without a doubt this is one of my favorite books to read to children. DuBose Heyward is famous for many books but this is the only children's book he ever wrote. He made up the story at the request of his daughter and eventually had it published. The tale is set at Easter and the grandfather bunny is too tired and old to continue so a competition is held to select the new Easter Bunny. The Country Bunny has 21 little bunny children whom she has taught various household skills such as washing dis ...more
Amanda
This is a very strange story about a determined little country bunny who manages to run a perfect household (mainly by using her excellent delegating skills), raise her 21 children to be well-behaved and accomplished, all while enjoying a great career as an Easter Bunny, delivering eggs to the boys and girls of the world.
We all wonder if it is truly possible to balance motherhood and career, and give equal weight to each. This bunny has done it and done it to perfection. And maybe when Zeke is
Kari Sommers
This is one of my favorite books from childhood. I bought a new copy to share it with my boys, as mine was falling apart (literally). Well worth the investment! This book was originally published in 1939, and it has the best portrayal of working motherhood in any picture book I have seen. Did I mention it's from 1939?
If you have kids, you must read it to them. If you don't have kids, read it anyway. You won't regret it.

One of my favorite quotes:

"One day a little country girl bunny with a brown
Elizabeth
Self confidence, perseverance, a woman achiever who manages to mix work and kids and has great love for kids, and gorgeous pictures of beautiful Easter eggs. What more could you want from a book?!
Lisa
I just re-read this classic, which was first copyrighted in 1939. Wow, how things have changed!

In today's market, this would've been considered too long and unfocused. Plus, I found that it had elements of sexism, subtle racism, and abuses of the child labor laws. Ha!

In the end, the problem was solved by the hand-of-God rather than the main character solving it for herself. If I had received this for critique, the poor author would've been chastised beyond belief.

But, the art is wonderful and co
Logan
Logan just loves this story and how can I not love a 1930's book that pits a little brown mama bunny against a bunch of arrogant male rabbits and ends with the mama bunny besting them all!? Way ahead of its time. It was not uncommon then to read of young, single women or girls doing tomboyish things, like Nancy Drew. But I don't recall anything where a busy mother manages to still get and hold down a demanding job. Very sweet pictures and an unusual take on the Easter Bunny myth. I never mind re ...more
Tricia Singleton
This is the all time best "Easter Bunny" story!!!

The little country bunny is a strong female that never gives up on her dreams of becoming an "Easter Bunny". Even though her goal seems impossible, because she is not a big strong male Jack Rabbit.....whom is usually is picked to deliver eggs to all the children of the world.

The small plain country bunny becomes a mother of many and she raises her little bunnys to be independent and strong. She is a leader and runs a very efficient household. She
Anina
One of my favorite children's classics, an easter book. I am really drawn to the illustrations for some reason. The story is not remarkable but I have loved it since I was a kid, probably due to NOT being a kid who celebrated easter! While reading reviews on here, I notice some people say it adresses issues of race and class, which I have never thought about, but now that I am re reading it with that in mind, I certainly see what they are talking about.
Emerson
It's so good. So good.
The art is probably the best of any picture book out there. Remember it from a child.
And the message is great. Shows the importance of mothers but at the same time so beautifully illustrates that being a mother does not define a mother's entire life. Her job is to raise her children to be self-sufficient. and then that mother can go deliver Easter eggs!

Addendum: purchased at used bookshop in riverside! Dec 27 2014
Amy Adams
DuBose Heyward is a pretty big deal in these parts. He was born in Charleston, and he wrote the novel Porgy (which eventually was adapted into the Gershwin opera Porgy and Bess) while living here at Folly Beach. So, there's a local historical connection that makes this work significant to me. I also think there's a lot more symbolism behind the story than is credited to it.
The illustrations, by Marjorie Hack, have that old-timey Easter feel, which I like. The colors are so vivid and bright!
The
Jessica
One of the greatest picture books ever, I read this over and over as a kid. The story of a sweet little brown mother rabbit who dreams of being an Easter bunny is just utterly delightful. The pictures are simple but I love the color palette, which seems to have sort of gray undertones that somehow remind me of Easter eggs.
Polly
One of those childhood books about which I have no perspective, because the memory of my family reading it together every Easter Eve is too dear. Although I do remember that my sisters and I were revolted by the little sleeping blond boy--he's a kid, not a cherub!
Kathryn
The Country Bunny is a true lady. I love what it says on the back of the book. It's difficult to believe that this very modern feminist tale was originally written in 1939...A gem of a fantasy. - Learning
April Evans
This is a great book about a bunny that must become the Easter Bunny. She is a mother of many children, but still must take on this task.
Edward Sullivan
The 75th anniversary edition of this classic which I believe first read over forty years ago. Makes me feel old!
Cheryl
I get it. She's kind, wise, clever, swift, and brave. An early model for feminists, especially those that are mothers and want to be more.

But I found it didactic, twee, overly-pretty, and much too long.

And what about this line: "And by and by she had a husband and then one day, much to her surprise there were twenty-one Cottontail babies to take care of."

I know girls who were surprised to find themselves pregnant, but surprised to give birth? I hope we give our daughters a bit more sex ed than
Dana
This is one of my favorite books from childhood. I already started a tradition of reading this at Easter with my kids. (yeah yeah, I know, Easter isn't about bunnies)

It's the story of a little country bunny who wants to grow up to be an Easter Bunny. All the other bunnies laugh at her dream. She grows up to be the mother of 21 babies and is laughed at even more. Long story short, her mothering skills show that not only is she wise, kind, swift, clever and brave....exactly what is needed to be on
Erica
Mel Campbell
I had completely forgotten about this until Andrew McDonald mentioned it tonight, but it was one of the most cherished books of my childhood.

I loved how resourceful the mother bunny was, and how she raised her children to find their talents and contribute to the family and household. And I loved the idea of a bunny society. I was really into anthropomorphic woodland creatures as a kid – what can I say? Beatrix Potter got me early. And now I remember how lovely the eggs were in Marjorie Flack's b
babyhippoface
I first heard of this old book (1939) through Anita Silvey's Book A Day Almanac online. She gave it high praise, so the next time I was in the public library I checked it out.

The little girl country bunny dreams of growing up to be one of the Five Easter Bunnies who deliver eggs all over the world. The rich, finely dressed rabbits and the fast jack rabbits laugh at her dream.

When she grows up, she has 21 baby bunnies and they become the focus of her life. Soon, though, they are old enough to t
Lea Lea
This book was written in 1939 but is heralded as one of the first feminist children's books. While the country mother bunny does beat the fast proud male bunnies at their own game, she does it in the "confines" of her motherhood. From my perspective, motherhood is an aid to her dreams and never forsaken in the story. Unlike the modern feminist movement, motherhood is just as much a part of who she is at the beginning of the story as the end. This is why she is honored and rewarded.
Lacey
This story is super cute. I love how the mother rabbit who works her little beehind off for her kids gains the skills needed in other areas of life. I also appreciated the depiction of all of her children helping and cheering her on. Most kids stories make the kids the heroes -- it was refreshing to see the parent get a chance to shine outside of their parenting skills. Maybe I'm reading too much into this! But, a lovely tale, and great for Easter.
Whitney
My very favorite Easter (and bunny) story. Not only are the illustrations charming and the story good for its own sake, it also has a surprisingly progressive message: that women really can have it all - 21 children AND an important job. A review from the inside cover: "It's difficult to believe that this very modern feminist tale was originally written in 1939..." (-Learning).
Jamie
This is my absolute favourite book I owned as a child! It is an Easter story about a mother country bunny who dreams of being one of the five great Easter bunnies but has 23 baby bunny children in her country home. But with her independent spirit her dreams come true! It's a rich story that has, IMHO, informed my own strong independent spirit that girls can do things on their own & have their own dreams, not just to get married & have babies! And that's what I've always loved most about ...more
Imogene Nix
I adored this book as a child but as I got older my mother disposed of it (I suppose she thought I was too old for such things...) As an adult and mother I finally tracked down a copy and shared it with my own children.

This book is of it's time (initially from memory written in the 1920's) yet the story is one of hope. We too can experience the wonder and magic that is out there. So the bunny had to be bigger, better and brighter? Who cares. In the end she achieved her ambitions by sheer hard w
I first read this story as an adult and my heart ached. Do all mothers feel like the Country Bunny as I had? Getting along but maybe not quite where you want to be in life? The illustrations are wonderful and the end message is positive for kids and adults. Your dreams matter! You can make your way in this world.
Alisha
Written in 1939. It is beautiful. Immaculate. Glorious. Spoke to my mother heart. I teared up reading to my children. A PERFECT book for mothers who are distanced from their dreams for a time while dedicating themselves to the raising of their families.
Brenda
As an undergrad, I worked at a great little independent bookstore. This will date me, but it was before the days of Amazon and lots of people special ordered titles. A customer stopped in one day, gave me her name, and said she had a book on hold. I went to the shelf, found her name, and pulled this book off the hold shelf. I felt a big emotional WHOMPF when I saw the cover, because I recognized it from childhood, but had forgotten it existed.

I had a hard time turning it over to the customer. I
  • One Morning in Maine
  • Angelina Ballerina
  • Imogene's Antlers
  • Titanicat
  • Rechenka's Eggs
Edwin DuBose Heyward (August 31, 1885 – June 16, 1940)was a white American author best known for his 1925 novel Porgy. This novel was the basis for the play by the same name (which he co-authored with his wife Dorothy) and, in turn, the opera Porgy and Bess with music by George Gershwin.

Heyward was born in 1885 in Charleston, South Carolina and was a descendant of Thomas Heyward, Jr., who was a si
More about DuBose Heyward...
Porgy Mamba's Daughters Summertime Peter Ashley Porgy and Bess 2012 libretto

“Cottontail knocked on the big front door and was admitted to the Palace. There she stood in her funny country clothes but none of the other four Easter Bunnies laughed, for they were wise and kind and knew better.” 1 likes