Start by marking “Dial M for Monkey” as Want to Read:
Dial M for Monkey

Dial M for Monkey

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Adam Maxwell's first collection of short stories is inventive, funny, dark, and hugely entertaining. The twenty stories included here range from a bizarre quest to find a dead rockstar's limb (Jim Morrison's Leg) to a memorable warning about the hidden dangers of building sites (the acclaimed Shooting Jelly With A Shotgun). Effortlessly fusing pop culture, gunplay, and sim ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Tonto Press

To ask other readers questions about Dial M for Monkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dial M for Monkey

Jason P
Mar 20, 2016 Jason P rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
This was short and sweet. Maxwell is funny, random, very English and disturbingly funny. After reading this, I asked myself why I put this off until now. Adam, you crazy monkey, excellent work on your first book!
Col
Jul 03, 2015 Col rated it really liked it
Shelves: m, 2015
Synopsis/blurb………

Adam Maxwell's first collection of short stories is inventive, funny, dark, and hugely entertaining. Effortlessly fusing pop culture, gunplay, and simians, Dial M For Monkey contains a vibrant mixture of short stories - and short-short stories including 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' which featured in McSweeney's Internet Tendency.
---------------
My take...

124 pages and approximately 20 short stories.

Dark, light, absurd and irreverent and all thing in-between.

Soul selling, chickens mo
Carrie
Sep 10, 2014 Carrie rated it liked it
Only 60+ pages; this quick read can be started and finished in well under an hour, and that alone makes it not a waste of time. The stories are a mix of "high impact" and "needs an editor" - I kept wanting to revise or strike his last lines, over and over.

Maxwell sticks to a format of "Here's the story, wait, no there's a twist coming up, TWIST", expanding it sometimes to "Here's the story, wait, no there's a twist coming up, wait for it, wait for it, really I mean it, keep waiting, TWIST, he h
Heather Cawte
May 16, 2011 Heather Cawte rated it really liked it
This was a quick and entertaining read, a collection of short stories of such warped wit that I laughed aloud at some of them. I especially liked the one about Gary Barlow...
Frank Dahai
Jul 29, 2009 Frank Dahai rated it it was amazing
Great fun. Very English. Wonderfully compact. Deceptively simple - as in the writing never over-reaches itself but remains elegant, original and well-framed.

While the cover and the blurb gives the impression that Maxwell relies on shock-effect to get his ideas across, I don't believe that this is especially the case. His key thing is ideas. Each of these tales pivots on a single, powerfully imaginative idea. Reading the set, I consider Maxwell to be the kind of writer who constantly imagines th
Mike Duron
Feb 26, 2012 Mike Duron rated it liked it
First, the good: Maxwell is brilliant when it comes to creativity. The scenarios he comes up with are funny, interesting, and keep you moving along nicely. The writing is fun to read, and it's easy to move happily from one piece to the next and be done with the whole thing before you know it. If you want something funny to read during commercials on TV (I know, how dare I, eh?) or between loads of laundry or during your bus ride to and from work, this is a good choice.

Now, the bad: Some of the p
Armin
Jan 26, 2014 Armin rated it it was amazing
This book practically read itself in flash-of-light speed. After reading this book I'm more keen on exploring the flash fiction genre. I would describe its style as very British dark humour with a slight touch of assholeness. As a whole very funny and amusing.

This is one of my favorite lines from the book.

"I knew then I had to kick that monkey's arse."
Robin Edman
Sep 11, 2014 Robin Edman rated it liked it
Odd. Droll. It's a fairly short collection of very short stories, most of which end with a sort of wry punch line.

Reading it was fun.
Jsemjoli
Nov 13, 2015 Jsemjoli rated it really liked it
Čtyři hvězdičky hlavně kvůli scénce s mrkví, díky které jsem se smála nahlas v metru. A takových chvilek si cením :)
John
Jul 16, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, short-story
Weird and hilarious.
Marisol Arrechea
Jul 21, 2015 Marisol Arrechea rated it liked it
Liene Apsalone
Weird. However, I really liked how compact the stories are; it becomes a real page-turner, as you always want to read 'only one more' before going back to work, and then one more, and so on, and after few hours you are already finished with the book. Several stories are wonderful in their conciseness and unpredictability, yet several others seemed simply weird and nothing more.
Blowersdaughter
Very short short stories. Each story revolves around an idea that is often quirky and funny, but not often developed to its full. Some of these ideas (the vet robbery for example) wouldn't look bad in a Guy Ritchie film. I'm curious to read more from the author.
Alex
Mar 27, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
I loved it. This was my first collection of flash fiction and I fell in love with the genre. Maxwell's style is "very British" if that tells you anything and themes move from surreal and crazy to realistic and scary.
Corey Dutson
Sep 07, 2010 Corey Dutson rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories. Many are darkly funny and all are great reads
Gunawan
May 05, 2013 Gunawan rated it did not like it
Read it, now I don't really remember what I've read.
Bhuvaneshwari
Jan 12, 2012 Bhuvaneshwari rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-worth-it
hated it right from the first page.
Jack
Jul 01, 2013 Jack rated it liked it
WarioWare - The Book
Rob Bingle
Rob Bingle marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Tiffany Bolin
Tiffany Bolin marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Raven Forrest
Raven Forrest marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Darren French
Darren French marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Mary Jones
Mary Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Kate Nell-Johnson
Kate Nell-Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Brianna jones
Brianna jones rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Rana
Rana rated it did not like it
Jun 25, 2016
Katie Rotunno
Katie Rotunno marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
  • Screwjack: A Short Story
  • Three-Ten to Yuma and Other Stories
  • Hollywood Nocturnes
  • The Union Club Mysteries
  • Chamber Music
  • Five Great Novels (The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Martian Time-Slip, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Ubik, A Scanner Darkly)
  • Cropper's Cabin
  • Books of Blood: Volume Six (Books of Blood, #6)
  • How to Disappear Completely
  • Rampaging Fuckers of Everything on the Crazy Shitting Planet of the Vomit Atmosphere
  • The Kreutzer Sonata and Other Stories