Start by marking “Dial M for Monkey” as Want to Read:
Dial M for Monkey

Dial M for Monkey

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Adam Maxwell's first collection of short stories is inventive, funny, dark, and hugely entertaining. The twenty stories included here range from a bizarre quest to find a dead rockstar's limb (Jim Morrison's Leg) to a memorable warning about the hidden dangers of building sites (the acclaimed Shooting Jelly With A Shotgun). Effortlessly fusing pop culture, gunplay, and sim ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Tonto Press

To ask other readers questions about Dial M for Monkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dial M for Monkey

Carrie
Only 60+ pages; this quick read can be started and finished in well under an hour, and that alone makes it not a waste of time. The stories are a mix of "high impact" and "needs an editor" - I kept wanting to revise or strike his last lines, over and over.

Maxwell sticks to a format of "Here's the story, wait, no there's a twist coming up, TWIST", expanding it sometimes to "Here's the story, wait, no there's a twist coming up, wait for it, wait for it, really I mean it, keep waiting, TWIST, he h
Heather Cawte
This was a quick and entertaining read, a collection of short stories of such warped wit that I laughed aloud at some of them. I especially liked the one about Gary Barlow...
Frank Dahai
Great fun. Very English. Wonderfully compact. Deceptively simple - as in the writing never over-reaches itself but remains elegant, original and well-framed.

While the cover and the blurb gives the impression that Maxwell relies on shock-effect to get his ideas across, I don't believe that this is especially the case. His key thing is ideas. Each of these tales pivots on a single, powerfully imaginative idea. Reading the set, I consider Maxwell to be the kind of writer who constantly imagines th
Mike Duron
First, the good: Maxwell is brilliant when it comes to creativity. The scenarios he comes up with are funny, interesting, and keep you moving along nicely. The writing is fun to read, and it's easy to move happily from one piece to the next and be done with the whole thing before you know it. If you want something funny to read during commercials on TV (I know, how dare I, eh?) or between loads of laundry or during your bus ride to and from work, this is a good choice.

Now, the bad: Some of the p
Armin
This book practically read itself in flash-of-light speed. After reading this book I'm more keen on exploring the flash fiction genre. I would describe its style as very British dark humour with a slight touch of assholeness. As a whole very funny and amusing.

This is one of my favorite lines from the book.

"I knew then I had to kick that monkey's arse."
Robin Edman
Odd. Droll. It's a fairly short collection of very short stories, most of which end with a sort of wry punch line.

Reading it was fun.
John
Weird and hilarious.
Liene Apsalone
Weird. However, I really liked how compact the stories are; it becomes a real page-turner, as you always want to read 'only one more' before going back to work, and then one more, and so on, and after few hours you are already finished with the book. Several stories are wonderful in their conciseness and unpredictability, yet several others seemed simply weird and nothing more.
Blowersdaughter
Very short short stories. Each story revolves around an idea that is often quirky and funny, but not often developed to its full. Some of these ideas (the vet robbery for example) wouldn't look bad in a Guy Ritchie film. I'm curious to read more from the author.
Alex
I loved it. This was my first collection of flash fiction and I fell in love with the genre. Maxwell's style is "very British" if that tells you anything and themes move from surreal and crazy to realistic and scary.
Corey Dutson
Great collection of short stories. Many are darkly funny and all are great reads
Gunawan
Read it, now I don't really remember what I've read.
Bhuvaneshwari
hated it right from the first page.
Jack
WarioWare - The Book
Zackary Elliott
Zackary Elliott marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Clinton Dean Morrison
Clinton Dean Morrison marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Eric Erekson
Eric Erekson marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Ella Drayton
Ella Drayton marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Shaun Ponting
Shaun Ponting marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
  • Screwjack: A Short Story
  • Three-Ten to Yuma and Other Stories
  • The Union Club Mysteries
  • Hollywood Nocturnes
  • Books of Blood: Volume Six (Books of Blood, #6)
  • VALIS and Later Novels
  • Chamber Music
  • How to Disappear Completely
  • Cropper's Cabin
  • Rampaging Fuckers of Everything on the Crazy Shitting Planet of the Vomit Atmosphere
The Defective Detective: Cat Chaser Chills, Kills & Snowflakes The Night Before The Christmas Before I Was Married & other festive tales The Defective Detective: Murder on the Links The Defective Detective : The Curious Case of the Kilchester Courier