Start by marking “The Troll Garden and Selected Stories” as Want to Read:
The Troll Garden and Selected Stories

The Troll Garden and Selected Stories

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  39 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Willa Sibert Cather (December 7, 1873[1] - April 24, 1947) was an American author who achieved recognition for her novels of frontier life on the Great Plains, in works such as O Pioneers!, My ntonia, and The Song of the Lark. In 1923 she was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for One of Ours (1922), a novel set during World War I. Cather grew up in Nebraska and graduated from the ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Indo-Europeanpublishing.com (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Troll Garden and Selected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Troll Garden and Selected Stories

Duane
This is an excellent collection of short stories by a great American writer. In the early 20th century she didn't get the credit she deserved because.......she was a woman. That is starting to change as modern readers are discovering what a treasure she was, and still is through her writing. Her short stories are stark, real life descriptions of the people and life in the American frontier. In my opinion she is the American version of Russia's Chekhov.
Louise
Jan 08, 2016 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Great collection of stories, on to read more of her books
Tim
Aug 19, 2016 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" It came up like a galleon in full sail; an enormous, barbaric thing, red as an angry heathen god."

" The western shore was low and level, with cornfields that stretched to the skyline, and all along the water's edge were little sandy coves and beaches where slim cottonwoods and willow saplings flickered."

I bought this book for The Enchanted Bluff, which I read as a Library of America Selection of the Week on Facebook.

It's a snapshot, a portrait of a time and place after the frontier but before
Karen Sweeney
Rich prose

Pleasantly surprised at the rich descriptions of time, place, and persons. Art and artists play a large part in these stories. Some of the story arcs fell flat but a very enjoyable read.
Stephanie
Jan 25, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
If you like Willa Cather, read this. It explores many of the same themes and questions as her later work and shows the seeds beginning planted.
Paulus Mango
Jun 15, 2016 Paulus Mango rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics-fiction
Most of these stories, I believe, were written early in her career. I'd leave aside these and, instead, read My Antonia and O Pioneers.
Susie
My first book of short stories and I enjoyed it. Each story pulled me in and I love the time period about which she wrote.
John Haggerty
John Haggerty rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2014
KSpe
KSpe rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Stanczakdoug
Stanczakdoug rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
ali askye
ali askye rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Tskoyle
Tskoyle rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Brian Brennan
Brian Brennan rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2013
Peggy Zhang
Peggy Zhang rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Sharen Eidelberg-spratt
Sharen Eidelberg-spratt rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Kevin Lee
Kevin Lee rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Rubarabadom
Rubarabadom rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2016
Lydia Ferguson
Lydia Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Fay
Fay rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Sadie Clover
Sadie Clover rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Wendy Perriman
Wendy Perriman rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Jackie Harris
Jackie Harris rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Visionarydan
Visionarydan rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2010
Wilella Sibert Cather was born in Back Creek Valley, Virgina (Gore) in December 7, 1873. Her novels on frontier life brought her to national recognition. In 1923 she was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for her novel, One of Ours (1922), set during World War I. She grew up in Virginia and Nebraska. She then attended the University of Nebraska, initially planning to become a physician, but after writing ...more
More about Willa Cather...